• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start?!

Mary Lisa Nolan

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi All,

I am looking to walk the Camino for 8-10 days and would really like to finish it up in Santiago. Could you please advise where I should start and what airport I should fly into? I am flying from Dublin.

Also advice on hostels etc.

Thanking you in advance for you advice.

Kind regards

Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm sure other more experienced will chime in, but with 8-10 days it sounds like the best bet would be the Sarria to Santiago (if you wanted to do the Camino Frances). Camino Portugeuse may also be an option but I think that's 10-12 days. It all depends on how many miles per day you want to walk. As for the destination city, I'd just find the cheapest fares from Dublin. If it's in Spain the rail system is very good and fast. You can get from Madrid to Sarria in about 6 hours. I did a quick check and Aer Lingus goes direct from Dublin to Santiago and then you could hop a short train trip to Sarria.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sure other more experienced will chime in, but with 8-10 days it sounds like the best bet would be the Sarria to Santiago (if you wanted to do the Camino Frances). Camino Portugeuse may also be an option but I think that's 10-12 days. It all depends on how many miles per day you want to walk. As for the destination city, I'd just find the cheapest fares from Dublin. If it's in Spain the rail system is very good and fast. You can get from Madrid to Sarria in about 6 hours. I did a quick check and Aer Lingus goes direct from Dublin to Santiago and then you could hop a short train trip to Sarria.

@John Sikora Thank you so much for your response. I will certainly have a look into that now!. I am hoping to walk Approx 20-25 kilometres a day. You have been most helpful. :)

Ponferrada.

Take Renfe train or ALSA bus from Madrid to Ponferrada.

Or take Renfe train or ALSA bus from Santiago to Ponferrada.

There are flights from Dublin to Madrid and Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hi mary ,walked from villafranca del bierzo to santiago in 7days in october 2016,,had 2 long days at the start of walk but the climb into o cebreiro was worth it ..

Hi All,

I am looking to walk the Camino for 8-10 days and would really like to finish it up in Santiago. Could you please advise where I should start and what airport I should fly into? I am flying from Dublin.

Kind regards

Mary

Ponferrada or Villafranca. Madrid or Santiago may be your best options for flights. Check skyscanner for flights.

Hi All,

Kind regards

Mary

Fly into Santiago de Compostela and catch a bus to the train station from the airport then train to Sarria. Stroll 117 km back to Santiago which is an easy 10-day stroll. You'll love it. I did this the first time I walked the Frances and it got me addicted.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.