• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Start?

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi, my wife and I are just starting to plan a Camino for next year and have around 3 weeks to play with. We were thinking of doing the Portuguese Central route, starting in Porto, as we want to have the option of shortening the daily distance if needed. I did a the Frances in 2016 from SJPP on my own, and we both walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos in late 2017.
We want to go at a pace that allows for the odd rest day and diversion(planned and unplanned!)
Was thinking of either adding the Finisterre loop onto the end of our camino or moving our start point back four or 5 days back from Porto. Thoughts?
We are planning on staying predominantly in albergues, because I really missed the community spirit that they bring to the experience when we did the Roncesvalles to Burgos when we stayed in Casa Rurals or Pensions. Still to convince my wife that dormitory living is for her!

Looking forward to your input ,

Frank

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We started in Coimbra and added the spiritual variants. It was 3 weeks of great walking... tho we did the coastal, not central

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If it were me to do it over again, I think I would recommend starting in Porto and adding the Finisterre loop. The Portuguese Coastal route will add another day or two, maybe in comparison to the Central, and the Spiritual variant will add another day. I say you could do either option in 14-15 days with a rest day or two, depending how far you walk. That will leave you plenty of time to walk the Finisterre and also to Muxia.

I always prefer to start at standard points instead of the middle. You could always go back later and do the portion from Lisbon to Porto, a good two weeks walk or more in and of itself. If you start in Coimbra, that is a wonderful and historic city, but you would miss my favorite in the Lisbon to Porto section, the town of Tomar. Before Tomar is Santarem, another great town.

Happy planning and whatever you decide have a wonderful Camino!

Hello.
Thanks for posting the question...I will be reading responses. This June I will walk from Porto. I have about three weeks - similar to your plan. Right now I plan to walk the central path. Then I will walk Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia. The espiritual variante is also a possibility, depending on time. I also need to get back to Portugal for my flight home, so planning an extra day for travel is essential.

My thought is that I will not be rushed and will have a day or two to enjoy in Santiago or Portugal at the end of the hike, but I will take each day as it comes and make changes if I meet people or learn about special places to stop - those are two variables that affected my CF last summer. So be open to that yourself.
Good luck with your planning.
Lynne

Why do people start in Porto? Why not start at the start which is Lisbon.much better experience and then finish at at a later date when you are able.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I would do it again I would start in Tomar. My hybrid costal/island went well. However I have already walked to Finisterre & Muxia. Those are also great options.

Why do people start in Porto? Why not start at the start which is Lisbon.much better experience and then finish at at a later date when you are able.
If you are not starting at your front door, any starting point for any Camino is artificial and people will pick the one that suits them best. Are people who start further south than Lisbon and walk through not on the Camino before Lisbon because they are walking before the start? That's like saying that people who walk from France aren't on the Camino before they hit Saint Jean Pied de Port because that is the "start" of the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David, my words, although every trip somehow starts on your front door. You just choose to use car, bus, train, plane, ferry, ... for a while, instead of your walking boots.

Porto is a good start for anybody with a short 2 weeks spare time and the idea to fly in and out at the same place. Porto is even better connected than Santiago and the bus ride between the two cities is only 30€.

A surfer with time should start in Nazaré, just because of the famous waves :p.

Enjoy every way you choose!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back