• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start?

Socalgal

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 17
We are considering doing the VDLP at the end of September this year. However, if we get to Seville and it is too hot we are thinking of getting a train further north and starting in another city. For those of you who have hiked the VDLP, which are the most scenic stages? Which cities would be good to start from? Just getting an idea of what's out there. Thanks in advance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the weather is the deciding factor, I guess you'll need to look at the regional forecast when you start and see how far you need to go to have more comfortable temperatures.

Check out the planning tool on godesalco to get an idea of stages. -

You'll see that there's a >30km stage to Almaden - the longest stage on the Camino. If you find that you're struggling in the heat and you aren't confident about longer stages, Almaden would probably be a logical starting point (or Zafra). Then you can allow yourself to walk shorter stages.

As you look at the weather map, you should check the temperature in Merida - the former Roman capital, with splendid Roman ruins. I guess it might be cooler than the southern end of the VDLP. It would be a shame to miss it and I think it's a decent city to start from. It's a spectacular city in its own right and the stages from Merida to Caceres are nice. (I have heard that the way into Merida on the VdlP is not so pleasant).

A couple of days further along from Merida, is the city of Caceres - a beautifully preserved medieval city. The way out of Caceres takes you along a busy road. So if you're skipping stages and looking for an optimal place to start, I'd suggest Casar de Caceres - a few km after Caceres.

Public transportation from Seville to places on the VDLP is by bus. The express trains out of Seville run diagonally toward Madrid (via Cordoba and Ciudad Real). They don't follow the VDLP northward. If you find that the weather forecast on the VDLP is really not to your liking, you could, conceivably, take the train from Seville to Madrid and join the Camino de Madrid instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The end of september has the odds with you as regards heat. Raggy's comments are correct. Caceres is a really nice place to spend some time and the ruins at Merida can occupy a half day themselves. If memory serves, the buses that were mentioned do travel often so that you can start anywhere and just skip the days that the heat may be bad for you. I did that in May (due to rain not as much as heat) from Seville to Salamanca.

I think you will find the VDLP less "scenic" than expected (unless you like flat pasture land). Can't stress enough the lack of places to stop on many stages.

If you do stop in Casar de Caceres try to get a room at La Encarncion. It's a small rural home/hotel that is run by a great couple. A little bit outside town, it's a very very nice place to stay.

You'll see that there's a >30km stage to Almaden - the longest stage on the Camino. If you find that you're struggling in the heat and you aren't confident about longer stages, Almaden would probably be a logical starting point (or Zafra). Then you can allow yourself to walk shorter stages.
We caught the bus from Seville to Almaden in late August 2014. It was very hot but we managed the remainder of the VdlP by generally keeping the stages short and starting early in the day. We were walking for 51 days and used three additional days to see the sights in Merida, Salamanca and Ourense.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Museums are often closed on Mondays. I arrived in Merida on a Monday and stayed two nights to get to the Roman Museum, walked to Aljucén onTuesday, took a bus back to Merida and a taxi back on Wednesday morning. But I am some kind of museumfreak. Via de la Plata was a reminder of Roman history to me. I was really impressed of all the historical reminders along the route.

I would say you will be ok, just skip one or two stages and start in Guillena or Castilblanco de los Arroyos, those are areas where you will find shade, this camino does not get really exposed till 12km ahead of Fuente de Cantos. The hottest area, if all comes to all, would be Tierra de Barros, between Fuente de Cantos and Mérida. After that, you find trees again.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Trail from Santiponce to Guillena is totally underwater. as was local road. Only option was highway that you can't walk on. Nice man gave us ride around for 15 euros.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back