• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay Coimbra - Porto

MiaT

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi, can anyone suggest the best places to stay over/spend some time in between Coimbra and Porto? Based on distance I was thinking Curia, Mesa do Vouga and Sao Joao da Madeira, but not sure what these places are like. Wondered if anyone that had walked this before could suggest their favourites. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Better based on being a nice place with things to see/do, good accommodation and places to eat.

Hi, can anyone suggest the best places to stay over/spend some time in between Coimbra and Porto? Based on distance I was thinking Curia, Mesa do Vouga and Sao Joao da Madeira, but not sure what these places are like. Wondered if anyone that had walked this before could suggest their favourites. Thanks
When you say 'spend some time in' do you intend to take a rest day somewhere along this leg? I ask, because if you were not, and these are places you intend to walk to on successive days, you are setting a pretty challenging schedule, and I don't think you will see much of any of these places or anywhere in between. More, Curia and Mesa do Vouga appear to be a little way off the CP route, which will add even more to the challenge.

I walked this leg, but my target was 20 km/day. Yours seems in excess of 35 km/day if these are daily stops, which would be consistent with your previous postings about doing Lisbon to Santiago in 22 days. My own choices would be Agueda and Albergaria-a-Velha. Both are worth exploring, but I wouldn't have made either a rest day. There were other places, clearly, but they were unremarkable in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My main recommendation is to make a short detour off the camino to stay at Albergue Moinho Garcia (the water mill place). There are signs for it on the camino, it's about 13.5km past Albergaria-a-Velha.

Beyond that, Águeda has umbrella 'artwork' and São João da Madeira has some industrial museums (e.g. a hat museum) of the type beloved by @peregrina2000 but in general, as I have said many times before, I found the Coimbra-Porto stretch to be not that interesting compared with the Tomar-Coimbra stretch before it.

My main recommendation is to make a short detour off the camino to stay at Albergue Moinho Garcia (the water mill place). There are signs for it on the camino, it's about 13.5km past Albergaria-a-Velha.
I agree. Great and unique place to stay.
Beyond that, Águeda has umbrella 'artwork'
I had seen pictures of the umbrellas and was excited to stop there last May because if that, but unfortunately the umbrellas are only on display in July, August, and September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back