• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay/eat on the Camino Portugues?

Emia

Having done the Portuguese way twice by myself (autumn 2012 and spring 2013 and I obviously loved it!), I am now planning the next one (May 2015, together with two newbies).

* Does anyone know the monastery Casa de la Virgen on Pontevedra? It sounds like a good alternative to the albergue municipal and the pensions. Any experiences?

* We don't like resting days, but prefer taking half a day off. So after exploring Pontevedra in the morning, we would like to stay in Portela (12 km). Is there a hospitalero/a who does the cooking at night or do we have to get our own deliveries and cook a meal by ourselves?

* Has anybody already stayed in the new albergue about 3 km after Redondela? Turn right at the pension Jumboli.

* Alternative track to O Porrino avoiding the "ugly" part: is there any chance to get a cup of coffee along the way?

* I am looking for an alternative track from Vila do Conde to Rates. The official guides lead us along really heavy traffic ways.

* In the past the albergue in Herbón didn't open till June 1st. Any changes? I stayed there in 2012 (Oct.) and loved it.

* Anything else I should know about? I had some real bad experiences in the albergue municipal in Padron and Teo, very loud and damp, even mould. More like a place for the sick and hungry homeless people with alcoholproblems, but maybe that's what all pilgrims tend to be when reaching the end of their pilgrimage :) We would rather not stay in hotels/pensions, maybe somebody knows something about a new albergue privado in Padron and Teo?

Buen camino folks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Having done the Portuguese way twice by myself (autumn 2012 and spring 2013 and I obviously loved it!), I am now planning the next one (May 2015, together with two newbies).

* Does anyone know the monastery Casa de la Virgen on Pontevedra? It sounds like a good alternative to the albergue municipal and the pensions. Any experiences?

* We don't like resting days, but prefer taking half a day off. So after exploring Pontevedra in the morning, we would like to stay in Portela (12 km). Is there a hospitalero/a who does the cooking at night or do we have to get our own deliveries and cook a meal by ourselves?

* Has anybody already stayed in the new albergue about 3 km after Redondela? Turn right at the pension Jumboli.

* Alternative track to O Porrino avoiding the "ugly" part: is there any chance to get a cup of coffee along the way?

* I am looking for an alternative track from Vila do Conde to Rates. The official guides lead us along really heavy traffic ways.

* In the past the albergue in Herbón didn't open till June 1st. Any changes? I stayed there in 2012 (Oct.) and loved it.

* Anything else I should know about? I had some real bad experiences in the albergue municipal in Padron and Teo, very loud and damp, even mould. More like a place for the sick and hungry homeless people with alcoholproblems, but maybe that's what all pilgrims tend to be when reaching the end of their pilgrimage :) We would rather not stay in hotels/pensions, maybe somebody knows something about a new albergue privado in Padron and Teo?

Buen camino folks!

Hello Emia. I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try to answer to those that I have some information:
- Yes, you can drink coffe on the new O Porriño detour;
- For Herbón, since it's now been managed by the ACAGS, I think that the schedule it's the same.
- In Padrón, I don't have any news from new places to sleep. Teo is such a small place, I think that they have a person or two who rent rooms, but I can't get the contacts from nobody.

A great place in Padrón is hostal Jardím just opposite the pilgrims monument .
Don't forget to have your breakfast next morning at "Pepe's bar ". It is on the camino.a great experience !

In Teo Casa longa is a casa rural Not cheap but great for the last day to stay
The owner prepares you a nice lunch and diner as well an excellent breakfast and within 2 hours you are in Santiago .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't forget to have your breakfast next morning at "Pepe's bar ". It is on the camino.a great experience !

The owner prepares you a nice lunch and diner as well an excellent breakfast and within 2 hours you are in Santiago .
Additional info of Hostal Jardim -
indeed well located. opposite the garden/park - i would imagine it's a lovely place when one gets a room with a proper view.
i was assigned a 'courtyard' room (i.e. with view to their hanging laundry and NO sky / garden, just laundry and other walls) - and it was 35euros. which i paid ... and then went to town for dinner. when i came back, the room was still cold/frigid - so i asked for the heating system to be activated. fat chance. i got offered some blankets.
uh, no - ... i requested back my money ... and ask them to find me accommodations that uses their heating system.
they did.
so - perhaps if you like to stay there - perhaps call ahead and request a nice room .... one with a view of the park/trees ... and not the laundry.
cheers -

Additional info of Hostal Jardim -
indeed well located. opposite the garden/park - i would imagine it's a lovely place when one gets a room with a proper view.
i was assigned a 'courtyard' room (i.e. with view to their hanging laundry and NO sky / garden, just laundry and other walls) - and it was 35euros. which i paid ... and then went to town for dinner. when i came back, the room was still cold/frigid - so i asked for the heating system to be activated. fat chance. i got offered some blankets.
uh, no - ... i requested back my money ... and ask them to find me accommodations that uses their heating system.
they did.
so - perhaps if you like to stay there - perhaps call ahead and request a nice room .... one with a view of the park/trees ... and not the laundry.
cheers -
Oh. I am sorry to read this Claudia. We had a great room with a view . About the heating system I had no experience.we stayed there in the beginning of june.
I must agree the price was above the average of what we spent for a room on the camino.
So this is the strenght of this forum to write down all kind of personal pro's and contra's of various experiences.

By the way. Did you have your diner or breakfast at Pepe's bar ?
Once I read a post about it here somewhere on the forum.
The owner of the Jardím hostals showed us the way to Pepe.
We never forget staying there and the walk to Teo was like we had wings .more I can't say. Everybody should experience their stay there:p

Um abraço

Buen camino folks!

Hi Emia
I am new to the forum and saw your post and your intention to walk the Portuguese Camino in May. Would you be interested for one more to join your group as I must admit your experience and knowledge of the route wouldbe so useful for a novice. If that is not possible, any information you can give on the planning, accommodation and transport of pack services would be very useful. Many thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also a "newbie" and plan to start walking in sometime in late April early May. Interested in another newbie? Or in providing advice for the long days?

I stayed at Jardin for 2 nights because I was sick, they were wonderful. The owner was very helpful to me with tea and a light diet. I stayed at the albergue in Teo and had a late lunch Teo Casa Longa and wished I'd walked to the top of the hill and found it before I had showered and left my bag at the albergue. I think the information regarding the distance between Padron and Santiago is misleading and had I know my walk the next morning from Teo to Santiago was going to be so short I would have skipped it.

I stayed at Jardin for 2 nights because I was sick, they were wonderful. The owner was very helpful to me with tea and a light diet. I stayed at the albergue in Teo and had a late lunch Teo Casa Longa and wished I'd walked to the top of the hill and found it before I had showered and left my bag at the albergue. I think the information regarding the distance between Padron and Santiago is misleading and had I know my walk the next morning from Teo to Santiago was going to be so short I would have skipped it.
Padrón to Santiago is about 20 kms From Teo I thought it was about 8 till 9 kms.
We stayed in Teo but in a casa rural ,a bit off caminho but after about 2 kms from there we found the waymarking back.
I am just planning my next caminho da Costa , a bit zig zagging in the beginning starting in Vilarinho, up to casa da Fernanda and from there to the coast.
Via de ruta de Salnés it ends up in Padrón so we want to go back to that casa rural again.
Bom caminho

Wow, Claudia, you got a bum deal. I loved the Hostal Jardim but I guess we got a good room. We enjoyed watching the interaction of mother & son - he was trying to run the place and she was convinced he was trying to ruin it. They didn't seem to get along at all when we were there but it gave us some giggles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, Claudia, you got a bum deal. I loved the Hostal Jardim but I guess we got a good room. We enjoyed watching the interaction of mother& son - he was trying to run the place and she was convinced he was trying to ruin it. They didn't seem to get along at all when we were there but it gave us some giggles.
:D:D When we were there the son was very rude towards his mother. But I think this will be every day . During his laments the mother felt asleep and so to see did not care about what he said.:p

Last edited:
I also stayed at Hostel Jardin and i found it to be very good, so much luxury after staying in the Albergue in Caldas de Reis which i didn't like at all. I don't mind sleeping in Albergues that are full ( a group of very well behaved school children) but this one had a very toxic smell as well which i think was coming from a partition wall next to my bed. The showers were not draining properly and water was running out into the hall and maybe the wall got wet and that might have contributed to the chemical smell. All the other Albergues that i stayed in were very good especially Casa Fernanda its a place everybody should stay at. We walked in there on a rainy, cold day and she took our coats told us to have a shower and then come into the house and to walk into that warm and friendly kitchen with such a welcoming host was great, she made us feel right at home and to taste such beautiful home cooked Portuguese food made with love was something i will never forget. Enjoy your walk, Judy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also stayed at Hostel Jardin and i found it to be very good, so much luxury after staying in the Albergue in Caldas de Reis which i didn't like at all. I don't mind sleeping in Albergues that are full ( a group of very well behaved school children) but this one had a very toxic smell as well which i think was coming from a partition wall next to my bed. The showers were not draining properly and water was running out into the hall and maybe the wall got wet and that might have contributed to the chemical smell. All the other Albergues that i stayed in were very good especially Casa Fernanda its a place everybody should stay at. We walked in there on a rainy, cold day and she took our coats told us to have a shower and then come into the house and to walk into that warm and friendly kitchen with such a welcoming host was great, she made us feel right at home and to taste such beautiful home cooked Portuguese food made with love was something i will never forget. Enjoy your walk, Judy.
Maybe you were at the "wrong" albergue in Caldas de Reis. Albergue/hotel o Cruceiro is a great place to stay. A hotel but they facilitate pilgrims too. They have room for two,four and more.
I agree with casa da Fernanda. The best place to stay. Can't wait to go back there soon.
Bom caminho

Yes, you are right Albertinho I did stay at a different Albergue I didn't know there were two in Caldas. We stayed at the one just over the Bermana bridge, wish we had known of the hotel o Cruceiro. I just put it down to another Camino experience.

Judy.

Buen camino folks!
We stayed at albergue de la Jerezada in Cesantes 3 kms past Redondela last sunday. Great place. Nice hospitalera Marie !
Read about it on portugese forum hostals and albergues. I placed some pics and wrote about it

There is a private albergue in Faramello just before Teo called Calabaza del Peregrino. Although i stayed a km prior in a Pension, my walking companions who stayed there loved the place. We had dinner at the restaurant bar in Calabaza and had the best tasting Tinto from La Rioja ever. I walked back to my Pension a bit wobbly through the chilly evening. Had breakfast back at Calabaza the following morning with my friends on our way to Santiago for a short walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back