• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay for privacy for a couple?

pipello

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
My husband and I are walking from Burgos starting at the beginning of May, 2013. We are curious about the possibilities for staying in small pensions instead of the allergies. We do enjoy our privacy at this time of life and although we look forward to the camaraderie along the way and during stops and meals, we'd really like to retire to our own private room. We're not looking for luxury hotels; merely clean, pleasant quiet rooms with access to bath and perhaps breakfast, at least coffee in the mornings. Can a combination of dwellings be had along the way?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are many, many clean, relatively inexpensive places. You will see plenty of your fellow pilgrims on the trail, but a private room is a nice option. Don't let the albergue focus of this forum worry you. If that is not your style, all levels of alternatives exist.

I only stayed in private accomodation along the way. Just google and book in advance if you like or turn up and ask if they have private rooms.

I just planned my next trip in Oct and I prebooked all the places to stay already because I dont like to spend time searching for places to stay. I want to spend time enjoying the scenery and walking and not panicking about finding a place to stay.

Since I have walked the Camino before, I know how far I can walk every day so I know where I would want to stop.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
pipello,

To begin your search for private lodging places (Hospedajes) along the Camino Frances use the Mundicamino website set for Etapa 12: San Juan de Ortega - Burgos >> Hospedajes >> at this following link. .
http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=H ... Hospedajes

You can also translate the page automatically into English. For lodging info for further stops along the way click the orange arrow to a higher Etapa on the right of the page.

Happy searching and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

My husband and I walked in January & Feb a few years ago. Almost all of the albergues were closed so we stayed in small pensions, about 35 euros a day or so. They are in every town.

Hi -

I've attached an Excel spreadsheet I found on this site and modified by eliminating almost all refugios along the route as we too will stay in private accomodations. I'm taking it on my I Pad and hard copy - 2 sided 11 X 17. I've posted this previously, but hopefully it will be of value. We've enjoyed following this site for the past year & 1/2, learned a lot, and now highlight places along the route recommended by others on our hard copy set. Hopefully this is also useful for you.

We start our Ccamino April 18th from Roncesvalles. We land in Madrid on my 66th birthday.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Camino Frances Hotel & Casa Rural Accommodation 2012.xlsx
    107.5 KB · Views: 720
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Larry DeMaster said:
Hi -

I've attached an Excel spreadsheet I found on this site and modified by eliminating almost all refugios along the route as we too will stay in private accomodations. I'm taking it on my I Pad and hard copy - 2 sided 11 X 17. I've posted this previously, but hopefully it will be of value. We've enjoyed following this site for the past year & 1/2, learned a lot, and now highlight places along the route recommended by others on our hard copy set. Hopefully this is also useful for you.

We start our Ccamino April 18th from Roncesvalles. We land in Madrid on my 66th birthday.

Buen Camino!

Wow, Larry, THANK YOU so much for this wonderful resource!! We will be landing in Madrid for our first Camino just ahead of you! We will leave Roncesvalles approx. April 8! Wishing you a wonderful journey and many blessings!

Buen Camino!

We are curious about the possibilities for staying in small pensions instead of the allergies.
:D :D :D
This could have been an Freudian slip! You just might develop allergies staying in the 'albergues'!!

There are numerous private albergues now that provide mixed accommodation. At the expense of promoting, you could have a look at 'Slackpacking the Camino Frances' which includes 3 different walking schedules (10km to 15km: 15km to 20km: 20km - 25km) with names and links to accommodation suggestions. Rooms in the private albergues are listed in BLOLD type.

Early April on the meseta and in the Irago Mountains could be bitterly cold with snow and ice so take warm clothing!

Our methods were:-
to ask in the first bar in town if they knew of places with habitaciones.
to ask the place we were staying at to recommend somewhere for the next night. With this we could phone ahead that evening to be sure of a bed next day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in hotel or pension accommodations 10 nights out of 13 last April/May. Never needed reservations except for the opposite case: a dorm spot in Orisson.

I made reservations ahead of time just two other times. In Navarrete because I knew I wanted to stay there for personal reasons. And in Burgos where I ended, because I decided I wanted a view of the cathedral. I played it by ear and used whatever option was at hand. Never had a problem.

I knew one French couple who always called ahead but in one town where there were no accommodations that took reservations they arrived and went to a pension and found it full. The owner made a phone call and found a bedroom available. Done!

If you're nervous at all, get the Miam Miam Do Do guided and call ahead. You may or may not find it at all necessary, but it will depend in some measure on how fast you walk.

Second thought: coffee in the morning will be your biggest problem if you want to get up and going. All depends on your pace, I suppose.

If you're waiting for morning coffee, you'll want to be making reservations because you are going to be well behind most of your fellow hikers.

Re: Where to stay for privacy for a couple? Here!

Hello.
Just have a look at my list of accomodations all the way along the Camino from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela (Camino Francés) and further to Finisterre (Camino Finisterre).
With addition from the Somport-Pass to Puente la Reina (Camino Aragonés).
Not only the pilgrims refuges. Also many small hotels (hostales) and hotels.
Most of the accomodations with their home page and their phone mumbers so that you can book your beds in advance.
The list is written in German but you will be able to decipher it.
Buen Camino
Jochen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recomend Casa Morgade (you can find it on the internet). So romantic :wink: :wink:

Otherwise I wouldn't know more than what was said in the previous posts. Especially Larry's list is very helpfull. Thanks Larry!

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
lynettefoo said:
I only stayed in private accomodation along the way. Just google and book in advance if you like or turn up and ask if they have private rooms.

I just planned my next trip in Oct and I prebooked all the places to stay already because I dont like to spend time searching for places to stay. I want to spend time enjoying the scenery and walking and not panicking about finding a place to stay.

Since I have walked the Camino before, I know how far I can walk every day so I know where I would want to stop.

could you post your route and the places you are staying as a first timer i am interested in others style and information :D

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back