• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in Bruma--AKA a Camino highlight

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
My family and I hiked from Ferrol to Santiago the end of May 2017, so we needed lodging close to the Camino. We were looking for a place that was clean, comfortable, and quiet so we could rest. We also wanted something reasonably priced. O Meson Novo was all that and more! (PR Ó Mesón NovoPR Ó Mesón Novo Santiago Apóstol, 86, 15689 O Mesón Do Vento, Galicia.) What made O Meson Novo so memorable was Antonio, CEO of this family-run pension. He treated us like long lost friends. After hiking 20 miles up a mountain that day, we reached the restaurant in Bruma and were unable to take another step. We were in a village that had an albergue and a restaurant--that's it. So I called Antonio to see if he could send a cab. He did better than that--he personally came to pick us up and refused to take money for the ride. (O Meson Novo is located about 1.5 K off of the Camino). On the way to the pensión, Antonio drove out of the way to show us a short cut to get back on the Camino the next day. Our luggage was already in our rooms upon arrival. (We used the Spanish mail “pac mochila” http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas.php. It was only 4 E per bag per day and we had zero problems. I booked all transfers online and prepaid for it before we left.) The rooms were not modern, but they were spacious, clean and had all the amenities, including a hair dryer, which is NOT standard in a pensión. We wanted for nothing. What touched me most was the "Minnesota goodbye" we received. (“The Minnesota Goodbye is a well-documented example of just how hospitable Minnesotans are. The process of showing guests to the door, following them to the porch, and walking them to their cars? It's a ritual only Minnesotans understand" Betsy Rathburn, http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/minnesota/growing-up-mn/) After we finished eating breakfast the next day, Antonio was very busy serving the other pilgrims. Since we had already checked out and thanked him, we just took off down the road. Antonio came running after us. I assumed we'd forgotten to pay for something. No! He came to say goodbye. I was deeply touched. I guess the "Minnesota goodbye" is not particular to our state. If I ever do the Camino Inglés again, there is no question about where I will stay. While it is true that Casa Rural Doña Maria is located right on the Camino and the accommodations are much more upscale (as are the prices!), I had such a negative experience there last year, I’d rather sleep outside or take a cab to the next town than to patronize that business. How I am treated is far more important to me than the thread count of the sheets. Anyway, if you see Antonio, please deliver warm greetings from the Johnson family (Minnesota)—one kiss on each cheek.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back