• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Stay In Canterbury?

SacredSteps

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll finish the Pilgrim's Way from London and arrive in Canterbury this July before continuing on the VF into France. I am thinking to splurge and stay at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I thought I had seen some older posts about pilgrim accommodations; however, the rooms listed on the website do not give such an option. Any suggestions?

Note: for those following, I'm compiling my Pilgrims Way guides, maps and posts online here: http://onestepthenanother.com/pilgrims-way-in-england/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did ask around among pilgrim friends that are not on this forum, but, no luck. Seems there is no pilgrim specific accommodation in Canterbury ...
BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did ask around among pilgrim friends that are not on this forum, but, no luck. Seems there is no pilgrim specific accommodation in Canterbury ...
BC SY
There isn't really any "pilgrim specific accommodation" in the UK. At least nothing along the lines of the Spanish albergues. In pilgrim destinations like Walsingham and Lindisfarne there are some church or religious guest houses but they mostly run as bed-and-breakfast style places with private rooms and are quite expensive. The UK does not have a dedicated pilgrimage infrastructure and those who want to walk pilgrim routes here have to be prepared for more personal planning and much higher costs than in Spain unless they choose to go down the route of carrying camping gear or bivvying. Not the first choice for most. One of the reasons why the Caminos have become so popular is that they have very deliberately been made straightforward and cheap.

There is a Kips Hostel in Canterbury and others in Dover. If a one day walk to Dover is too far, consider taking a train from Sheperdswell to Dover, then return to continue to Dover the following morning.
Another option would be to splurge on the more expensive B&B near Sheperdswell.
Regards
Gerard

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, all. My question was specific to a pilgrim rate at the Cathedral Lodge. If I come upon something in my travels, I will report back.

I'll finish the Pilgrim's Way from London and arrive in Canterbury this July before continuing on the VF into France. I am thinking to splurge and stay at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I thought I had seen some older posts about pilgrim accommodations; however, the rooms listed on the website do not give such an option. Any suggestions?

Note: for those following, I'm compiling my Pilgrims Way guides, maps and posts online here: http://onestepthenanother.com/pilgrims-way-in-england/
Could you give me the route you used in England?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Not pilgrim-specific, no.But as I answered on another platform there is Kipps Backpackers and the YHA.

There used to be separate accommodation within the Cathedral grounds for pilgrim and other groups, Harrington is more up to date than me on this so it may no longer exist.

There has never been a pilgrim rate at the Cathedral Lodge as far as I am aware. I have stayed there a couple of times and if you can afford it it is a pleasant way to start or finish your pilgrimage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There used to be separate accommodation within the Cathedral grounds for pilgrim and other groups, Harrington is more up to date than me on this so it may no longer exist.

There has never been a pilgrim rate at the Cathedral Lodge as far as I am aware. I have stayed there a couple of times and if you can afford it it is a pleasant way to start or finish your pilgrimage.
Thanks, William. I had read about the pilgrim accommodations at the Cathedral; it does appear that no longer exists.

Good luck - Hope you find something good.

The accommodation list on https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk mentions a possibility of a room for pilgrims at "The Franciscan Study Centre" which was unavailable in 2018, but supposedly becoming available again the following year. Might be worth contacting to find out about it.

In Canterbury, I stayed at a B&B which was OK. In Shepherdswell, I wasn't willing to pay 15 quid to pitch a tent at a site with no showers. Instead, I took the train to Dover and then took the train back the next night. For my accommodation in Dover, I booked two nights at the Dover Adventure Backpackers hostel. I found it to be an infrequently cleaned, ramshackle, place with a mould problem. I took the ferry to Calais rather than staying there a second night.

Good luck - Hope you find something good.

The accommodation list on https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk mentions a possibility of a room for pilgrims at "The Franciscan Study Centre" which was unavailable in 2018, but supposedly becoming available again the following year. Might be worth contacting to find out about it.

In Canterbury, I stayed at a B&B which was OK. In Shepherdswell, I wasn't willing to pay 15 quid to pitch a tent at a site with no showers. Instead, I took the train to Dover and then took the train back the next night. For my accommodation in Dover, I booked two nights at the Dover Adventure Backpackers hostel. I found it to be an infrequently cleaned, ramshackle, place with a mould problem. I took the ferry to Calais rather than staying there a second night.

Thank you so much, Raggy! I guess I am following in your 2018/2019 footsteps!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There’s one place, called Cathedral Gate....it’s a BnB, built into the walls surrounding the Cathedral. It dates from 1450 or so ! We had a great stay there, before we headed to Rome on our bikes. Highly recommended and cheaper than you might think.

Last Fall, I completed the first portion of Via Francigena from Canterbury to Bapaume, France. After a week in the London suburbs with extended family, I took the train to Canterbury with enough walking in the near future. I am lazy on accommodation selection, mixing B&Bs with modest hotels. I stayed in the Millers Arms in Canterbury then the Dover Marina over looking the Channel.
The real treat was crossing the Channel on the ferry boat. Foot traffic is accommodated on the one ferry service to Calais while the other destinations require at least abike or auto. I spent the next approximating the marked track with limited accommodations en route. I stumbled on to many WW I military cemeteries well maintained by locals for more than 100 years, reminders of the sacrifices of typically young Canadians, British, and Australian soldiers during ore-penicillin combat years. At Bapaume, I ran out of time and accommodations. FLIX BUS service and its app is the solution for getting back to an airport to get home. Via Fracigena to be continued. It’s all good.

I stumbled on to many WW I military cemeteries well maintained by locals for more than 100 years, reminders of the sacrifices of typically young Canadians, British, and Australian soldiers during ore-penicillin combat years.
Just for information: the Commonwealth cemeteries worldwide are maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Though many of the local employees are indeed French. There is still great respect for the war dead. On my walk from Wales to SJPDP I planned my route to pass through the small town where my grandfather is buried - a casualty of WW2. At breakfast in a cafe there I mentioned this to a man who had asked me about my walk. He walked over to the nearby tables and spoke with the people sitting there. All the customers in the cafe then stood, walked over to me and shook my hand. Very powerful experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much, Raggy! I guess I am following in your 2018/2019 footsteps!
Try air bnb, we stayed just across the road from the cathedral last march, then near to Eythorne the following night instead of shepherdswell - slightly off route but then took another road to join up with VF route next morning, arrived in dover lunchtime and took ferry to calais. Worked fine.

We are doing the pilgrim’s way from London too. Heading off April 23. Will look at your list with great interest. No pilgrim lodgings that I can see beyond the Friars’ cheaper rooms in Aylesbury

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at the Cathedral lodgings for a week about 10 years ago. Not luxurious but very comfortable. I was there with an academic group studying the history of the Cathedral and lodging was included in the tuition so can't comment on room prices. The gates to the Cathedral close are shut each night and it was a pretty special to walk around the grounds at night. We also had a night time tour which was also amazing. It is wonderful to be so close to the cathedral but be able to escape into my room whenever I needed a break. And a pub just outside the gates!

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back