• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in Lisbon and Porto?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2022, 2023
Camino Frances 2024
I am arriving in Lisbon in mid-Sept and the following day catching a train to Porto to start my first camino. Am wanting recommendations of places to stay in Lisbon and Porto. I am a solo female pilgrim and would prefer a private room mindful of my age and covid. Hotel Moxy is conveniently opp the Oriente train station and close to the airport but am wondering if anyone has other recommendations close to Santa Apolonia or other train stations on the Lisbon- Porto line. I would also appreciate any suggestions of places to stay in Porto with private rooms. Post camino I will spend some days exploring both cities before flying home. Really appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jo, I was in Lisbon and Porto in April. In Lisbon I stayed at the Largo Da Se guest house. Reasonably priced in a single room with shared bathroom ( there are rooms with a private bathroom) and only 100 metres from the Cathedral and about 1.5 ks from Santa Apolonia Station. The also let me store my luggage there while on the Camino.

In Porto I stated in the Albergue Des Peregrinos. Dormitory accommodation only so not what you are looking for, however there are plenty of hotels and guest houses. You will need to book as they are very busy at the moment I believe. Bom Caminho!

Hi Jo, I was in Lisbon and Porto in April. In Lisbon I stayed at the Largo Da Se guest house. Reasonably priced in a single room with shared bathroom ( there are rooms with a private bathroom) and only 100 metres from the Cathedral and about 1.5 ks from Santa Apolonia Station. The also let me store my luggage there while on the Camino.

In Porto I stated in the Albergue Des Peregrinos. Dormitory accommodation only so not what you are looking for, however there are plenty of hotels and guest houses. You will need to book as they are very busy at the moment I believe. Bom Caminho!
Thank you Lindsay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed in Porto a couple weeks ago on the way home after walking the Camino Portugues coastal. Just needed a place to stay for one night, and found the Jardins do Porto at 613 Rua do Almada. It is a newly converted property with a wonderful staff, a vegan restaurant (I am not vegan, but the food was excellent) and a garden in the back which very warm and welcoming.
It was a wonderful end to a really great couple weeks on the Camino.

I stayed in Porto a couple weeks ago on the way home after walking the Camino Portugues coastal. Just needed a place to stay for one night, and found the Jardins do Porto at 613 Rua do Almada. It is a newly converted property with a wonderful staff, a vegan restaurant (I am not vegan, but the food was excellent) and a garden in the back which very warm and welcoming.
It was a wonderful end to a really great couple weeks on the Camino.
Sounds great JPL. Thank you very much for this tip. Glad you had a wonderful camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jo. I stayed at the Being Porto hostel http://beingportohostel.com/en last fall - fantastic location in the old town and only steps to the start of the coastal route. They have both dormitory and private rooms to suit your preference.

Buen Camino
Thank you so much Charles. This hostel sounds and looks wonderful at a great price. Just has shared bathrooms, not so good in covid times but will enquire more.

I am arriving in Lisbon in mid-Sept and the following day catching a train to Porto to start my first camino. Am wanting recommendations of places to stay in Lisbon and Porto. I am a solo female pilgrim and would prefer a private room mindful of my age and covid. Hotel Moxy is conveniently opp the Oriente train station and close to the airport but am wondering if anyone has other recommendations close to Santa Apolonia or other train stations on the Lisbon- Porto line. I would also appreciate any suggestions of places to stay in Porto with private rooms. Post camino I will spend some days exploring both cities before flying home. Really appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.
Excellent and very affordable accommodation at the Casa de Vilar Seminario in Porto. Clean, quiet, secure. I have stayed several times and never an issue with lack of rooms. Has seen a recent upgrade so prices may have changed since 2016. A 15-20 min walk from the Musica Metro. View of the river is fabulous. They also have a pilgrim-specific dorm but I have no other information on that.

Thank you so much Charles. This hostel sounds and looks wonderful at a great price. Just has shared bathrooms, not so good in covid times but will enquire more.
We stayed in a private room with our own bathroom (due to Covid) so I'm not sure what the other rooms had.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excellent and very affordable accommodation at the Casa de Vilar Seminario in Porto. Clean, quiet, secure. I have stayed several times and never an issue with lack of rooms. Has seen a recent upgrade so prices may have changed since 2016. A 15-20 min walk from the Musica Metro. View of the river is fabulous. They also have a pilgrim-specific dorm but I have no other information on that.
Thank you Magpye. Will check it out.

Hi Jo,

I am starting tonight to read threads on this forum. I am going to fly into Lisbon on or about March 23 ,2023, so I am wondering if you have any tips to share regarding lodging in Lisbon and in Porto. I would also like a private room and private bathroom. THanks in advance and hope you had a buen camino!

Hi Jo,

I am starting tonight to read threads on this forum. I am going to fly into Lisbon on or about March 23 ,2023, so I am wondering if you have any tips to share regarding lodging in Lisbon and in Porto. I would also like a private room and private bathroom. THanks in advance and hope you had a buen camino!
Hello Marla,

I‘m starting to think about the Camino Portuguese, starting on 11 April from Lisbon. I would be interested to hear of any stage/accommodation plans you may have made for the first 4/5 days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Marla,

I‘m starting to think about the Camino Portuguese, starting on 11 April from Lisbon. I would be interested to hear of any stage/accommodation plans you may have made for the first 4/5 days.
Jim, I will keep in touch as I read and do more research. I have narrowed down my dates. I am going to fly into Lisbon from Paris on March 27. Will explore Lisbon for a day or so and head to Coimbra, also for a day. At least that is my plan right now...

Hi Jim, I will be starting from Lisbon on the 13th April. Staying 3 nights in a hotel to explore Lisbon first then Alpriate if the new boardwalk is not yet finished. Haven't booked anything else yet and would love to keep in touch .

Hi Jo,

Hi Marla. I am excited for you as I loved my camino and plan to return next May to walk mainly the Central this time with a friend for part of it. I didnt end up staying in any of the places suggested in this thread. Both Porto and Lisbon were really booked up on my return in October. In Porto I stayed at the Chateau Flores on Rua das Flores which was a very comfortable apartment in a central location but a little noisy at night and no other pilgrims to meet. On my return to Porto upon other pilgrims recommendation I stayed at the Moov Hotel Centro which was a better location less touristy up behind Sao Bento Station and still close to the cathedral. The room was comfortable and staff really great. Unfortunately it was raining a lot and grey outside with a high window view out over red tiled roof tops and big cranes so not very light inside. It is a big hotel with a beautiful facade but very modern inside so it doesn't have any historic ambiance inside. In Lisbon I stayed at Chiado 44 which I loved but is more expensive. I loved the central location and friendly staff. It is a small boutique hotel, no lift so lots of stairs but I had a great room with a river view and small balcony making it easy to dry clothes, lovely decor plus a kettle and little fridge and mini bar. Pilgrim friendly and in a great central location, close to no 28 tram and metro (2 stops from Santa Apolonia) and great patisserie and restaurants nearby plus a laundromat and gourmet supermarket within 5 mins walk. I also enjoyed the "Free" walking tour of Alfama & Mouraria districts with Freetour.com Hi Lisbon Walking Tours (our guide was Anne Legarth) pay by donation at the end. Have a wonderful camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Marla. I am excited for you as I loved my camino and plan to return next May to walk mainly the Central this time with a friend for part of it. I didnt end up staying in any of the places suggested in this thread. Both Porto and Lisbon were really booked up on my return in October. In Porto I stayed at the Chateau Flores on Rua das Flores which was a very comfortable apartment in a central location but a little noisy at night and no other pilgrims to meet. On my return to Porto upon other pilgrims recommendation I stayed at the Moov Hotel Centro which was a better location less touristy up behind Sao Bento Station and still close to the cathedral. The room was comfortable and staff really great. Unfortunately it was raining a lot and grey outside with a high window view out over red tiled roof tops and big cranes so not very light inside. It is a big hotel with a beautiful facade but very modern inside so it doesn't have any historic ambiance inside. In Lisbon I stayed at Chiado 44 which I loved but is more expensive. I loved the central location and friendly staff. It is a small boutique hotel, no lift so lots of stairs but I had a great room with a river view and small balcony making it easy to dry clothes, lovely decor plus a kettle and little fridge and mini bar. Pilgrim friendly and in a great central location, close to no 28 tram and metro (2 stops from Santa Apolonia) and great patisserie and restaurants nearby plus a laundromat and gourmet supermarket within 5 mins walk. I also enjoyed the "Free" walking tour of Alfama & Mouraria districts with Freetour.com Hi Lisbon Walking Tours (our guide was Anne Legarth) pay by donation at the end. Have a wonderful camino.
Thank you so much for all of this info, Jo!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back