• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in Rioja

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2013)
Portuguese (2015)
VDlP(2017)
Camino Mozarabe/Levante from Toledo (2018)
Forgive me if this has been asked before...
We will start walking tomorrow from Almeria but due to unforeseen circumstances won’t be able to start walking until much later than we planned.
Chances are we won’t make it further than Rioja. Can anyone recommend a place to stay there? Many thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Corine. A bunch of us will be starting in Almeria in about six weeks and would love to hear how it goes for you. There is an Albergue in Rioja with ten beds. You should look at the Association’s website and online guide. http://www.almeriajacobea.es/?m=1

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie, great info
My first tip would be to line up credentials prior to arrival in Almeria as it has been a bit interesting finding them.

Hi Corine, I hope you have a great walk and that the sun has dried everything up for you! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Buen Camino,
Mary Louise

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Laurie, great info
My first tip would be to line up credentials prior to arrival in Almeria as it has been a bit interesting finding them.

I don't know if you have been in contact with the local Association, but I would try them. Call Mercedes at 649 806 150 or Verónica at 660 229 995. They are very eager to help. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Corine, I hope you have a great walk and that the sun has dried everything up for you! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Buen Camino,
Mary Louise
Thank you!
Beautiful and sunny today and everything is dry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just started reading through the Almería Association guide and see that credentials are available at the albergue in Rioja. Hope you found them, Corine!
We contacted a very, very nice man from the Pilgrim Association in Almeria and he met with us in a cafe yesterday morning with our credentials. We were able to get a stamp at the cathedral’s office so it all turned out very well, he also provided us with contact information for albergues ahead.
The pilgrim association is extremely helpful, also in Rioja.

We contacted a very, very nice man from the Pilgrim Association in Almeria and he met with us in a cafe yesterday morning with our credentials. We were able to get a stamp at the cathedral’s office so it all turned out very well, he also provided us with contact information for albergues ahead.
The pilgrim association is extremely helpful, also in Rioja.
Hi Corine. A bunch of us will be starting in Almeria in about six weeks and would love to hear how it goes for you. There is an Albergue in Rioja with ten beds. You should look at the Association’s website and online guide. http://www.almeriajacobea.es/?m=1

Buen camino, Laurie[/

Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie, thought I’d give a bit of an update. We are in Hueneja tonight, we decided to stay at Hostal Gonzales as it is a cold day with the wind blowing down from the Sierra Nevada. We have met one other pilgrim, from Spain, and he said the albuerge is ok. Nice easy walk today however the riverbed can be a bit tricky in some sections with uneven rocks. Most was decent surface though, and no steep inclines.
Yesterday we stayed in Abla, nice albergue with a coin operated washer and dryer, fridge and microwave but no stove. The walk from Alboloduy to Abla was quite challenging we found, with a steep climb and coming in at about 30k.
The albuerge in Alboloduy is very, very nice, in a beautiful location overlooking the town. The man from the pilgrims association told us they are moving though, close to the farmacia in the next few months. 4 beds, good kitchen but no washing machine. We walked in from Rioja which made for about a 27k walk, middle 8k had three hills but they were not as challenging as the one the next day.
Albergue in Rioja is a clean basic albergue with a microwave and a well stocked library
The pilgrims association has been fantastic the whole way and offers assistance if needed. It is obvious that they have put a huge effort with easy to follow signs and more albergues opening.
So far our experience has been that the bars/restaurants have a meal mid-day but mostly have been closed in the evenings so we have had to rely on mercados. Tonight is a happy exception :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie, thought I’d give a bit of an update. We are in Hueneja tonight, we decided to stay at Hostal Gonzales as it is a cold day with the wind blowing down from the Sierra Nevada. We have met one other pilgrim, from Spain, and he said the albuerge is ok. Nice easy walk today however the riverbed can be a bit tricky in some sections with uneven rocks. Most was decent surface though, and no steep inclines.
Yesterday we stayed in Abla, nice albergue with a coin operated washer and dryer, fridge and microwave but no stove. The walk from Alboloduy to Abla was quite challenging we found, with a steep climb and coming in at about 30k.
The albuerge in Alboloduy is very, very nice, in a beautiful location overlooking the town. The man from the pilgrims association told us they are moving though, close to the farmacia in the next few months. 4 beds, good kitchen but no washing machine. We walked in from Rioja which made for about a 27k walk, middle 8k had three hills but they were not as challenging as the one the next day.
Albergue in Rioja is a clean basic albergue with a microwave and a well stocked library
The pilgrims association has been fantastic the whole way and offers assistance if needed. It is obvious that they have put a huge effort with easy to follow signs and more albergues opening.
So far our experience has been that the bars/restaurants have a meal mid-day but mostly have been closed in the evenings so we have had to rely on mercados. Tonight is a happy exception :)
Wow, thanks so very much for this update @Corinne. Four weeks from today and our little group will be trickling into Almería. Actually not so little anymore, I think we are up to 14 or 15 -- who would have thought, on the Mozárabe? Mercedes at the ASsociation has been really reassuring, so we know we will all be fine. And it will be so nice to have all these new people to get to know. Meetup on Friday, April 13th. I am getting VERY excited. Usually I obsess and focus on my camino through many winter months, but this year I was just too busy to pay much attention. It kind of crept up on me -- and now it is only four weeks away!

Thanks again for the great update. Laurie

Mercedes from the Almeria Amigos is really helpful. I arrived in the evening and my credential was at the hotel desk. The receptionist asked me to call Mercedes and in a telephone call she told me everything what I needed for the walk. The Amigo members have a WhatsApp group in which they inform each other about the pilgrims progress towards Granada.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, thanks so very much for this update @Corinne. Four weeks from today and our little group will be trickling into Almería. Actually not so little anymore, I think we are up to 14 or 15 -- who would have thought, on the Mozárabe? Mercedes at the ASsociation has been really reassuring, so we know we will all be fine. And it will be so nice to have all these new people to get to know. Meetup on Friday, April 13th. I am getting VERY excited. Usually I obsess and focus on my camino through many winter months, but this year I was just too busy to pay much attention. It kind of crept up on me -- and now it is only four weeks away!

Hi Laurie, we made it into Granada today, pretty cold here tonight with snow flurries but we are staying in a wonderful hotel, such luxury!
It is evident that there has been very heavy rain in this region, and we had to scramble over a few mudslides today, otherwise a great day walking!
Last night we stayed in Quentar at the albergue Fundalusia, a really nice albergue with absolutely everything (heat! Washer! Dryer!) and a really funky atmosphere.
Sadly I had to miss yesterday walking because of foot issues and I had to stay behind and wait for the farmacia to open and take a taxi...I felt so bad, first time in all my walks I had to do this. John had a beautiful walk though and even had a wild boar cross his path and several sightings of Iberian Ibex. Sad I missed this day but at least I am walking again.
Night before we were at a very nice albergue in La Peza. Well equipped but no heat - and it was a cold night- but lots of blankets made for a good night’s sleep. Nice walk into La Peza, and so far this Camino has had opportunities each day to have a break in the morning for breakfast or coffee.
The previous day we walked along the highway into Guadix because the very nice lady at the B & B the night before had told us that travel on the Camino itself was not recommended because of the weather. I would NOT recommend walking along the highway as we found it quite dangerous the last 10k with no shoulder and lots of traffic. We stayed at a rather dreary hotel in Guadix and were happy to move on the next day.
Day prior we stayed in Alquife at the “Dutch Albergue” a very good experience, well equipped albergue with a good kitchen, but no meals provided unlike previous reports. Very nice day walking into this location too, however, the “scenic” walk along the old iron mining area held little interest for us.

The entire route has been extremely well marked, and we felt we had great support from the Association. Kudus to everything that has been done for Pilgrims on this route.

Happy trails and I am sure you will enjoy this walk!
Kevin O’Brien’s guide has been invaluable, as well as previous live reports from the forum.

We will continue in our way in a few days to Merida, hopefully in better weather.

Where do you and your merry group plan to land in SdC or some place else?

Hi Corinne. Have a good walk to Merida. I wonder which route you will take to Moclin as there is a new camino through Albolote , bypassing Piños Puente. There are two possibilities between Granada and Piños Puente, the "official" one through the suburbs or the more scenic "river route". Also a choice between Piños Puente and Olivares. It is nice to read your reports.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where do you and your merry group plan to land in SdC or some place else?

To tell you the truth, I really don't know who is going where. A few are lucky enough to be going all the way into Santiago. I am not one of those, because I promised my husband I would only walk for a month this year. Others are going to Mérida or Cáceres. I’m not sure how far I’ll get, but it would be great to reach Salamanca to meet @Charrito. That may be pushing it too hard, we will see. Hope to make it beyond Cáceres, though.

Hi Corine. I’m also following you here with great interest since I will be part of the merry group starting out from Almería on April 14th. When a new camino is getting so close, all one wants to do is to be there, on the path, so it is wonderful to get your live info from the Mozárabe. Thank you. Sorry about the weather but it should change for the better one of these days.

Buen Camino! Nina

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@peregrina2000 and crew! I might meet up with you along the way somewhere. I'll start walking in Merida about the 24 April. Always subject to how the wind blows!
Wow, that would be a real treat! It seems unlikely, though, because Almería to Mérida is about 500 km and we are starting only ten days before you. Why don't you start further back a little? ;) Are you planning to go all the way to Santiago?

p.s., @Corine, so sorry to hijack this thread. Your posts have been great, thank you so much!

Hi Laurie, we made it into Granada today, pretty cold here tonight with snow flurries but we are staying in a wonderful hotel, such luxury!
It is evident that there has been very heavy rain in this region, and we had to scramble over a few mudslides today, otherwise a great day walking!
Last night we stayed in Quentar at the albergue Fundalusia, a really nice albergue with absolutely everything (heat! Washer! Dryer!) and a really funky atmosphere.
Sadly I had to miss yesterday walking because of foot issues and I had to stay behind and wait for the farmacia to open and take a taxi...I felt so bad, first time in all my walks I had to do this. John had a beautiful walk though and even had a wild boar cross his path and several sightings of Iberian Ibex. Sad I missed this day but at least I am walking again.
Night before we were at a very nice albergue in La Peza. Well equipped but no heat - and it was a cold night- but lots of blankets made for a good night’s sleep. Nice walk into La Peza, and so far this Camino has had opportunities each day to have a break in the morning for breakfast or coffee.
The previous day we walked along the highway into Guadix because the very nice lady at the B & B the night before had told us that travel on the Camino itself was not recommended because of the weather. I would NOT recommend walking along the highway as we found it quite dangerous the last 10k with no shoulder and lots of traffic. We stayed at a rather dreary hotel in Guadix and were happy to move on the next day.
Day prior we stayed in Alquife at the “Dutch Albergue” a very good experience, well equipped albergue with a good kitchen, but no meals provided unlike previous reports. Very nice day walking into this location too, however, the “scenic” walk along the old iron mining area held little interest for us.

The entire route has been extremely well marked, and we felt we had great support from the Association. Kudus to everything that has been done for Pilgrims on this route.

Happy trails and I am sure you will enjoy this walk!
Kevin O’Brien’s guide has been invaluable, as well as previous live reports from the forum.

We will continue in our way in a few days to Merida, hopefully in better weather.
So sorry to hear about your foot problems, but glad to hear that you will have a few days to rest up. What a beautiful place to rest up!

Your reports have given me a lot to scribble into Kevin's and the ASsociation guide. I am rigidly anti-road walking, so things would have to be pretty bad to get me on that highway into Guadix!

I don't think I have ever been in contact with a more helpful camino association. We are planning to meet some of them at our meet-up on the 13th, did you get to meet any of them?

Wishing you a wonderful next part of the Camino Mozárabe! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Corinne. Have a good walk to Merida. I wonder which route you will take to Moclin as there is a new camino through Albolote , bypassing Piños Puente. There are two possibilities between Granada and Piños Puente, the "official" one through the suburbs or the more scenic "river route". Also a choice between Piños Puente and Olivares. It is nice to read your reports.

Thank you Carel. Do you know if the scenic route is marked? Suburban routes are not always my favourite...

Thank you Carel. Do you know if the scenic route is marked? Suburban routes are not always my favourite...
Corine, I don't know if you have a GPS, but you can see the route here on wikilocs.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/etapa-6-granada-moclin-por-albolote-camino-mozarabe-9766303

And if you zoom in, you will see that the author of those tracks made a pretty big mistake and had to backtrack, so the distance isn't as long as it says.

Hope you are enjoying Granada! Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Sorry, I only see your answer now, so my reply comes too late. I don't know if the alternative route is marked. In my memory the whole Camino Mozarabe from Almeria to Merida was excellently marked, even the parts between the olives where in the past pilgrims got lost.

Sorry, I only see your answer now, so my reply comes too late. I don't know if the alternative route is marked. In my memory the whole Camino Mozarabe from Almeria to Merida was excellently marked, even the parts between the olives where in the past pilgrims got lost.

Yes, the way marking is excellent, although we did manage to get royally lost in the olives lol
We did walk the original route through Pinos Puente, not so fun on the highway for the first bit but then excellent once we got on the trail.
Loved the hostel in Moclin! I was so tired from the long walk with the climb into Moclín at the end I fell asleep in front of the lovely fire....

Loved the hostel in Moclin! I was so tired from the long walk with the climb into Moclín at the end I fell asleep in front of the lovely fire....

I liked that place in Moclín VERY much as well So comfortable, and I was soaking wet and muddy as the only rain that fell on me between Almería and Fuenterroble fell on me hard shortly after Pinos Puente, so having a proper bath was a great treat.

If you have time and energy after the hard climb, it's well worth while walking up to the castle at Moclín (described as "the shield of Granada") and enjoying the outstanding views back onto the Granada plain and the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back