• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in Santiago if you are volunteering?

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Those of you who volunteer in Santiago, where do you stay? I am wondering if one can stay at Monte de Gozo and take the bus back and forth from town? Perhaps those of you who live in Santiago have some other suggestions?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Those of you who volunteer in Santiago, where do you stay? I am wondering if one can stay at Monte de Gozo and take the bus back and forth from town? Perhaps those of you who live in Santiago have some other suggestions?

If you are volunteering the place where you do so should/needs to provide basic accommodation (and perhaps food also) for you - if they don't, they are most likely taking advantage of you. Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Thanks for this. We know if we volunteer in an albergue that this should be the case, however, Pilgrim House and the Pilgrims office do not appear to offer the same amenities per the information we have received from APOC. We are taking a class next month through APOC and are thinking about where to volunteer in the future. The APOC literature suggests Santiago as a location to volunteer so I was just wondering where people who volunteer at Pilgrim House and the Pilgrim Office stay.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Thanks for this. We know if we volunteer in an albergue that this should be the case, however, Pilgrim House and the Pilgrims office do not appear to offer the same amenities per the information we have received from APOC. We are taking a class next month through APOC and are thinking about where to volunteer in the future. The APOC literature suggests Santiago as a location to volunteer so I was just wondering where people who volunteer at Pilgrim House and the Pilgrim Office stay.
I'm sure @t2andreo can give you an adequate answer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I can't speak for @natefaith from Pilgrims House, but I do know that @IngridF , who volunteers at the moment at the Pilgrims Office, is housed, with another volunteer, in a flat the Pilgrims Office provides. @t2andreo , who will arrive today, is also housed by the Pilgrims Office. So, if you volunteer at the Pilgrims Office, accommodation should be provided. As the volunteers work ~5hours/day I think that is the minimum they should do.
Buen Camino and happy volunteering, SY

If no accommodation is provided then try the albergue at Semenario Menor in Santiago de C. We had a single room each for very little money (15€ per night) . Common room and cooking facilities in the basement also a useful little shop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey J! You are very welcome to apply to volunteer with us here at Pilgrim House but we're not able to provide accommodations to volunteers yet. Several of our volunteers have stayed in San Martin Pinario pilgrim rooms, or find an Airbnb or albergue. If having accommodations provided is a must for you, then do apply to the Pilgrim's Office. We realize our opportunity is not for everyone. Have fun in training!
Faith

Thanks Faith,
These are great tips. We are planning a Winter Camino on the Ingles in December and will have some days in Santiago at that time so we will try to check out some of these suggestions before we make firm plans for our first volunteer activity.
Janet

When you volunteer at the pilgrims office they provide accommodations. .. I do not know about what Terra Nova offers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you volunteer at the pilgrims office they provide accommodations. .. I do not know about what Terra Nova offers.
Oh, NO!!! Ingrid, why didn't I put two and two together when we met at SYates' place? We have had many conversations over the years on this forum! The thought that you were "that Ingrid" crossed my mind, but your longer hairdo makes you look so different. Enjoy your stay in Grado, and (if you eat meat), eat a novillo burger at the Gran Feudo, one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten in my life and I'm not much of a meat eater.

(Sorry to derail this thread, guys).

Oh, NO!!! Ingrid, why didn't I put two and two together when we met at SYates' place? We have had many conversations over the years on this forum! The thought that you were "that Ingrid" crossed my mind, but your longer hairdo makes you look so different. Enjoy your stay in Grado, and (if you eat meat), eat a novillo burger at the Gran Feudo, one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten in my life and I'm not much of a meat eater.

Lol all good that is funny

Thanks Faith,
These are great tips. We are planning a Winter Camino on the Ingles in December and will have some days in Santiago at that time so we will try to check out some of these suggestions before we make firm plans for our first volunteer activity.
Janet

Hi Janet, just fyi the Seminario Menor will be closed in December and we actually have short winter hours and then close all of January. (Not many pilgrims around then!) I think the Pilgrim's Office will be the best bet for you guys if they take volunteers then. I'm on the Inglés right now and enjoying it. Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Weren't we all at Pilgrim House together, too? The cabbages that were pointy and all that @IngridF. That was the last time I blushed so hard!!

Last edited:
Weren't we all at Pilgrim House together, too? The cabbages that were pointy and all that @IngridF. That was the last time I blushed so hard!!

Oh, yes, a raucous time, and don't forget @wisepilgrim! It was my first visit to Pilgrim House and I should thank you for all your hospitality -- the college interns were so earnest and kind, and the entire setup is very comfortable. Kudos to you @natefaith! And hope your Inglés goes well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Janet, just fyi the Seminario Menor will be closed in December and we actually have short winter hours and then close all of January. (Not many pilgrims around then!) I think the Pilgrim's Office will be the best bet for you guys if they take volunteers then. I'm on the Inglés right now and enjoying it. Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith
Hi Faith,
I don't think we 'll volunteer this December, but we may want to check out the options for the future while we are in town. We hope to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well as New Year's Eve in Santiago. We'll just stay in a hotel for those nights this time. We'll be walking the Ingles first and then after Christmas will walk a few days from Melide to Santiago. My husband became very ill in Melide when we did the CF last year and we did not finish those last few days. He has a strong need for closure.

Will be glad to hear more about your pilgrimage on the Ingles. Hope you will be posting "Live from the Ingles".
Janet

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.