Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Where to stay in SJPP ?

WelshPilgrim

Past OR future Camino
May 2014
June 2017
Hello everyone,
I'll be arriving in SJPP on Saturday 17th June 2017 and I'd like recommendations of where would be a good place to rest my head for the night before I start walking the following day.
Thanks,
Buen Camino

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hello everyone,
I'll be arriving in SJPP on Saturday 17th June 2017 and I'd like recommendations of where would be a good place to rest my head for the night before I start walking the following day.
Thanks,
Buen Camino

Welsh Pilgrim,

Welcome to the forum!

When you arrive in SJPdP go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle which is on the camino. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation and will help you find a bed/bunk for the night.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
We did as mspath suggested. The volunteers found us a lovely Band B almost opposite the pilgrim office in SJPP.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

WelshPilgrim

Past OR future Camino
May 2014
June 2017
Thanks for all the info guys, do you know of any places that will offer a communal meal along with the bunk? That would be a lovely start!

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Belair: Be warned that if you aren't used to the later dinners, you may want to have a bite to eat in the late afternoon before Belari's dinner.

Also, not to be a party pooper, but I found the number of get-to-know-each-other activities at the dinner table to be a bit much.

In fact, when I tried to ask the cook a simple question in an adult getting-to-know-you way, she told me I'd learn all when we were throwing the fake ball around the huge table.

I loved the friends I met there, I loved the ambiance, breakfast was wonderful, getting-to-know-you was kind of wearing.

Buen "sorry, but I've done to0 many games" Camino--

Deb

pennyinyk

Past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (April 2017)
I stayed at Belari for two nights before starting the camino in April. While I am not an "icebreaker" fan, I decided to just go with it and ended up meeting some lovely people. I enjoyed it even more the second night, as I realized the diversity of people walking the camino and their motivations for doing so. There's no pressure to bare one's soul....in fact, you will be encouraged to be brief!

I will just add that, for me, the camino gave me daily opportunities to put myself in new situations - not always ones I would have normally chosen. Most of the time, I realized that I had preconceptions about people or situations that weren't really true. As they sing at my grand-daughter's nursery school at lunch time... "Try it, try it - you might like it!"

That was my experience at Belari - and all along the camino. Joseph and the other Belari hosts were accommodating, warm and got us off on the right foot, attitude wise. Location is great - right across from the Pilgrim Office. The late dinner start is something you'll encounter all along the camino. Take a walk to the top of the citadel to enjoy the lights of the town at night (be careful and take a flashlight - it's dark up there! But worth the walk). I've heard that there are other nice places to stay in SJPP, this is just my experience. Buen camino!

Waka

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Although I understood what they were doing at Belari all I wanted to do was sleep so l guess I didn't appreciate the imaginary ball throwing. But having met people that were there on my night they really enjoyed it. Just me I guess.

When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Hello everyone,
Thanks,
Buen Camino

Wherever you stay, I am so glad that you will be staying a night there. SJPP is an absolutely beautiful community, and I had a wonderful visit to the church with its stone floors and stained glass windows.

Walk up the stairs at the east end of town and have a look too! Great view. At the end of the town, bear right and have a look at the beautiful striped fabrics in the little shops.

You are going go to love being there. Seriously, buen camino!

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Wherever you stay, I am so glad that you will be staying a night there. SJPP is an absolutely beautiful community, and I had a wonderful visit to the church with its stone floors and stained glass windows.

Walk up the stairs at the east end of town and have a look too! Great view. At the end of the town, bear right and have a look at the beautiful striped fabrics in the little shops.

You are going go to love being there. Seriously, buen camino!

For a brief history in French of SJPdP and the Citadel complex see this web from the town hall.
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/decouvrir/histoire-et-patrimoine/sites-et-monuments/

See more history in this French SJPdP web.http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/...ge-une-ville-navarraise-au-pied-des-pyrenees/

Last edited:

WelshPilgrim

Past OR future Camino
May 2014
June 2017
Hi everyone,
Firstly thank you for all of your replies and great info you have all given me.
I decided to book Beilari for my nights stay but unfortunately it is already fully booked! So does anyone else have any different suggestions of a place that serves a communal meal like Beilari does?

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads