• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in SJPP ?

WelshPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014
June 2017
Hello everyone,
I'll be arriving in SJPP on Saturday 17th June 2017 and I'd like recommendations of where would be a good place to rest my head for the night before I start walking the following day.
Thanks,
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone,
I'll be arriving in SJPP on Saturday 17th June 2017 and I'd like recommendations of where would be a good place to rest my head for the night before I start walking the following day.
Thanks,
Buen Camino

Welsh Pilgrim,

Welcome to the forum!

When you arrive in SJPdP go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle which is on the camino. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation and will help you find a bed/bunk for the night.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We did as mspath suggested. The volunteers found us a lovely Band B almost opposite the pilgrim office in SJPP.

Thanks for all the info guys, do you know of any places that will offer a communal meal along with the bunk? That would be a lovely start!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Belair: Be warned that if you aren't used to the later dinners, you may want to have a bite to eat in the late afternoon before Belari's dinner.

Also, not to be a party pooper, but I found the number of get-to-know-each-other activities at the dinner table to be a bit much.

In fact, when I tried to ask the cook a simple question in an adult getting-to-know-you way, she told me I'd learn all when we were throwing the fake ball around the huge table.

I loved the friends I met there, I loved the ambiance, breakfast was wonderful, getting-to-know-you was kind of wearing.

Buen "sorry, but I've done to0 many games" Camino--

Deb

I stayed at Belari for two nights before starting the camino in April. While I am not an "icebreaker" fan, I decided to just go with it and ended up meeting some lovely people. I enjoyed it even more the second night, as I realized the diversity of people walking the camino and their motivations for doing so. There's no pressure to bare one's soul....in fact, you will be encouraged to be brief!

I will just add that, for me, the camino gave me daily opportunities to put myself in new situations - not always ones I would have normally chosen. Most of the time, I realized that I had preconceptions about people or situations that weren't really true. As they sing at my grand-daughter's nursery school at lunch time... "Try it, try it - you might like it!"

That was my experience at Belari - and all along the camino. Joseph and the other Belari hosts were accommodating, warm and got us off on the right foot, attitude wise. Location is great - right across from the Pilgrim Office. The late dinner start is something you'll encounter all along the camino. Take a walk to the top of the citadel to enjoy the lights of the town at night (be careful and take a flashlight - it's dark up there! But worth the walk). I've heard that there are other nice places to stay in SJPP, this is just my experience. Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although I understood what they were doing at Belari all I wanted to do was sleep so l guess I didn't appreciate the imaginary ball throwing. But having met people that were there on my night they really enjoyed it. Just me I guess.

Hello everyone,
Thanks,
Buen Camino

Wherever you stay, I am so glad that you will be staying a night there. SJPP is an absolutely beautiful community, and I had a wonderful visit to the church with its stone floors and stained glass windows.

Walk up the stairs at the east end of town and have a look too! Great view. At the end of the town, bear right and have a look at the beautiful striped fabrics in the little shops.

You are going go to love being there. Seriously, buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wherever you stay, I am so glad that you will be staying a night there. SJPP is an absolutely beautiful community, and I had a wonderful visit to the church with its stone floors and stained glass windows.

Walk up the stairs at the east end of town and have a look too! Great view. At the end of the town, bear right and have a look at the beautiful striped fabrics in the little shops.

You are going go to love being there. Seriously, buen camino!

For a brief history in French of SJPdP and the Citadel complex see this web from the town hall.
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/decouvrir/histoire-et-patrimoine/sites-et-monuments/

See more history in this French SJPdP web.http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/...ge-une-ville-navarraise-au-pied-des-pyrenees/

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Firstly thank you for all of your replies and great info you have all given me.
I decided to book Beilari for my nights stay but unfortunately it is already fully booked! So does anyone else have any different suggestions of a place that serves a communal meal like Beilari does?

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back