• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay the first night in SJPDP

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello all!

My wife and I are arriving into SJPDP on the the Alsa bus at 19:15 on August 14. Will the municipal albergue still be open and how likely are we to find a bed? I see it has only 24 beds. Will there be other options (parish albergue, etc.) that don't involve paying 60 Euros for a bed?

When I left from Pamplona a year ago, it was easy because I stayed at Jose y Maria and they have 100+ beds, but SJPDP seems to be an entirely different situation, more like a tourist destination than anything else. I wasn't keen on hiking from SJPDP because of the climb, but I agreed because my wife doesn't think it is actually hiking the CF unless you start from the beginning. But I don't want to arrive at a time when ". . .there's no room at the inn." Can forum members share their experiences of SJPDP with regards to lodging in August? I just want to get out of there the next morning; I don't care about accommodations as long as they are cheap and AVAILABLE. What is it like in August? Will all the albergues be full, especially if we arrive so late in the evening, or do you advise staying over in Pamplona, then bussing to SJPDP and just start walking (not staying overnight at all in SJPDP).

Any information will be greatly appreciated. My wife is not a traveler. I mean she's a hell of a walker & climber (she leaves me in the dust!), but she doesn't like international travel or the intricacies of "getting there," she just likes to walk. I convinced her to come along, but I don't want to leave her to sleep on the street the first night, or worse than that (as she is very frugal), pay 60 Euros for a hotel.

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Warmly,

Barry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also thought about spending the night at Jose y Maria in Pamplona, taking the bus to SJPDP (arrives at 11:45 am), then hiking to Refuge Orisson.

I stayed in ''Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile'' as I was able to make a reservation in advance. It was a great experience overall and I recommend the place. This was in early September.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino I second "Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile''. Orisson is a grand idea! Even experienced walkers feel great expectation, excitement, second thoughts and hesitations, your backpack may not sit as you like those shoes not be all that comfortable, your first encounter with people you will meet befriend meet again and share the Camino over the next month all combine to interfere with your usual pace and walk so a break at Orisson will set thing right. For these reasons and more,Orisson is a good solution, however(!) you m-u-s-t reserve well in advance, it is a busy busy place, go here https://refuge-orisson.com/en/ then several days before you arrive call Jean Jacques to confirm spend the money for the phone call don't wait for an email response they are very very busy busy people and mistakes may happen. Security and relief are worth the price.
PS Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile is also a very popular destination reserve here well in advance as well.

Last edited:
Back again. People get into the worst of arguments...no...altercations...no...unpleasantness...yes and let's just call it differences of opinions for all sorts of reasons on the Camino. The worst of the worst I have seen usually boil down to pace. The beginning of beautiful friendships have been dashed since one may walk at marathon speed approaching the Ethiopians (not me - ever) while the other meanders along admiring wildflowers, listening to the stork concerts, photographing anything that will let you, popping into every church, chapel, and cafe/bar in sight (guess who). Pace is no problem for a day trip or a weekend but you two are facing a month, not the same thing. Forewarned is forearmed. Don't fight it, prefix meeting places, lunch spots, evening targets, well-charged cell phones armed and ready all ahead of time and avoid you running half the day and other unpleasantries..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always book 2 nights on www.booking.com.
First day I walk to Orisson, then shuttle back down to SJPP.
Second day I shuttle UP to Orisson and continue on.
Alas, I am such a pagan superstitious heathen, I never ever knowingly turn my back on Santiago. every evening one boot removed and placed pointing west to SdC the other pointing east to Jerusalem with the help of my fathers' compass in my pocket. A benign irrationality.

Alas, I am such a pagan superstitious heathen, I never ever knowingly turn my back on Santiago. every evening one boot removed and placed pointing west to SdC the other pointing east to Jerusalem with the help of my fathers' compass in my pocket. A benign irrationality.

Well, I ride down so I really don't "turn my back?" lol!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That’s what we are doing Anniesantiago as we wanted to acclimatise and get our land legs after a long flight from Australia.
Don't want to answer for anniesantiago but in my experience, Orisson is a small place. very often packed full, and a madhouse - sorry - a refuge for those already tired, for the hungry and the thirsty, then towards the late morning/early afternoon surrounded by disappointed pilgrims who did not make a reservation. As such. it can be a stressful opening day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all!

My wife and I are arriving into SJPDP on the the Alsa bus at 19:15 on August 14. Will the municipal albergue still be open and how likely are we to find a bed? I see it has only 24 beds. Will there be other options (parish albergue, etc.) that don't involve paying 60 Euros for a bed?

When I left from Pamplona a year ago, it was easy because I stayed at Jose y Maria and they have 100+ beds, but SJPDP seems to be an entirely different situation, more like a tourist destination than anything else. I wasn't keen on hiking from SJPDP because of the climb, but I agreed because my wife doesn't think it is actually hiking the CF unless you start from the beginning. But I don't want to arrive at a time when ". . .there's no room at the inn." Can forum members share their experiences of SJPDP with regards to lodging in August? I just want to get out of there the next morning; I don't care about accommodations as long as they are cheap and AVAILABLE. What is it like in August? Will all the albergues be full, especially if we arrive so late in the evening, or do you advise staying over in Pamplona, then bussing to SJPDP and just start walking (not staying overnight at all in SJPDP).

Any information will be greatly appreciated. My wife is not a traveler. I mean she's a hell of a walker & climber (she leaves me in the dust!), but she doesn't like international travel or the intricacies of "getting there," she just likes to walk. I convinced her to come along, but I don't want to leave her to sleep on the street the first night, or worse than that (as she is very frugal), pay 60 Euros for a hotel.

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Warmly,

Barry
[/QUOTE
Beilari....is the new name of Chemin d´etoile

We stayed at the BEILARI also and it was wonderful. It was myself and my 2 teenage children and they gave us the upstairs which was 3 beds to ourselves. We went down for a wonderful communal meal and wine that evening. It was an absolute perfect start to our Camino. I tried to find a price but could not. Sorry. They do have an email address on the website though and they respond very quickly. Definitely make your reservation in advance if possible.

Would you mind explaining why you walk to Orisson, shuttle back to SJPP and start again next day? (New to Camino) thanks!

For MOST pilgrims, the first day can be "Hell Day!"
The walk UP is only around 8 k but it is DIFFICULT - it is on pavement and STEEP. Most are exhausted by the time they reach Orisson. Out of those that continue the same day on to Roncesvalles, many will injure themselves. And with it becoming necessary to book reservations at Roncesvalles during busy times, there is the chance you can be turned away if you don't arrive early.

If you book two nights in SJPP, you can make the walk up to Orisson more leisurely.
I always have lunch there, watch all the weary pilgrims walking in, then at 2 pm there is a shuttle back down to SJPP (book it near the pilgrim office in SJPP)
Next morning I get up, catch my booked shuttle UP to Orisson where I have coffee and breakfast. Then I'm into Roncesvalles early and have not injured myself with shinsplints, blisters, ankle pain or whatever.

Starting off slow on the Camino and slowing increasing your distances will help avoid injury and make your Camino more enjoyable. This way you can SEE the country instead of rushing for a bed!
You can find beds to book in SJPP (and all along the Camino) on booking.com
I've used them for years -

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be sure to BOOK your shuttle from and again TO Orisson.
The taxi office is just a few doors from the Pilgrim Office.
Thanks Anniesantiago we have booked the mountain shuttle with Express Bourricot. Will pop in and see them once we arrive in SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check out Beilari. I stayed two nights when I first got in from Canada. Warm and welcoming and fun hosts. Cost was reasonable but can’t recall how much. Must book well in advance. It’s popular.

I love Beilari and Orisson. I have stayed at both for three Camino’s. I made tremendous friends each time at both places. The friends I made at Orisson slinkied along with me the entire Camino and I keep in touch with them years later. Personally, I feel like I would have missed out if I had not stayed at Orisson and had bused back and forth.

I wasn't keen on hiking from SJPDP because of the climb, but I agreed because my wife doesn't think it is actually hiking the CF unless you start from the beginning.
It's time to own this as a joint decision and move on...
(Or don't and b***h and moan at each other for 800km).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all!

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Warmly,

Barry
Easiest option is to go directly to the Pilgrim's Office and ask them where you should stay. There are many Albergues in SJPDP and honestly, they come and go. The Pilgrim's Office will have the most up to date information when you arrive.

I love Beilari and Orisson. I have stayed at both for three Camino’s. I made tremendous friends each time at both places. The friends I made at Orisson slinkied along with me the entire Camino and I keep in touch with them years later. Personally, I feel like I would have missed out if I had not stayed at Orisson and had bused back and forth.
And I am one of those who stayed with Susan at both Belairi and Orisson last year, would agree totally! But must book in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all!

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Warmly,

Barry
I walked the CF in late May and could not get a bed at the Beleiri. Booked a place across the street, next door to the Pilgrim Office. Big Mistake!!

I walked the CF in late May and could not get a bed at the Beleiri. Booked a place across the street, next door to the Pilgrim Office. Big Mistake!!
Yes--if we're talking about the same place- last year my wife and I arrived at the pilgrim office in the evening, there was a very aggressive woman who offered us a room in her place next door, we took it, very unpleasant first night. Charles the nice guy at the pilgrim desk had an expression on his face whose meaning I realized only too late.

Hello all!

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Warmly,

Barry
I am travelling from Barcelona to St J via Pamplona. First night I have booked at Gite de la Porte St Jacqes in St J through bookings.com. Second night at Orisson. I didn't think you could stay at albergues until you had already commenced your walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am travelling from Barcelona to St J via Pamplona. First night I have booked at Gite de la Porte St Jacqes in St J through bookings.com. Second night at Orisson. I didn't think you could stay at albergues until you had already commenced your walk.
You can stay the night before walking at most. And it's not as much of an issue for private albergues; it's the municipal and parochials that are more likely to enforce this along the way.

You can stay the night before walking at most. And it's not as much of an issue for private albergues; it's the municipal and parochials that are more likely to enforce this along the way.
Thanks .I will know for next time. The gite I have booked wasn't expensive and has single not bunk beds. I have already paid for my Orisson stay and got a receipt by return email. Hope that means that I have a bed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also thought about spending the night at Jose y Maria in Pamplona, taking the bus to SJPDP (arrives at 11:45 am), then hiking to Refuge Orisson.

Just wondering if you stuck with this plan. How was it?
I fly into Barcelona, then Pamplona - SJPDP, so I'm curious about your choice. Thanks!

Just wondering if you stuck with this plan. How was it?
I fly into Barcelona, then Pamplona - SJPDP, so I'm curious about your choice. Thanks!
Don’t be in a hurry. SJPdP is a quaint town. I would have missed my short time there.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back