• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay the night before Santiago....?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So if I've met a group of friends before Santiago, the where to stay question always pops up when getting close. Some people have their heart set on Monte de Gozo, affording like a 5 km walk so you can get into Santiago early, maybe even catch the morning mass.

Personally, I think the big Monte do Gozo Albergue looks un inviting.

I have never stayed there, and one trusted repeat visitor to SDC who I befriended on my 2nd walk said she tried it and wouldn't do it again.

I like o pedrouzo, arca, o pino... so many names for the same place on the last night? ...So like Norte, Primitivo, Frances all come through this place. It's 20k from Santiago, so if you wake up early and walk, like let's say 5:30 am or 6 am, you are in SDC before noon...

The facilities are awesome in o ped. Your Albergue / hotel will have laundry facilities. Food/coffee available early am. In my experience.

Any other thoughts on places to stay the night before SDC?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So if I've met a group of friends before Santiago, the where to stay question always pops up when getting close. Some people have their heart set on Monte de Gozo, affording like a 5 km walk so you can get into Santiago early, maybe even catch the morning mass.

Personally, I think the big Monte do Gozo Albergue looks like a concentration camp.

I have never stayed there, and one trusted repeat visitor to SDC who I befriended on my 2nd walk said she tried it and wouldn't do it again.

I like o pedrouzo, arca, o pino... so many names for the same place on the last night? ...So like Norte, Primitivo, Frances all come through this place. It's 20k from Santiago, so if you wake up early and walk, like let's say 5:30 am or 6 am, you are in SDC before noon...

The facilities are awesome in o ped. Your Albergue / hotel will have laundry facilities. Food/coffee available early am. In my experience.

I stayed at Albergue Boni in Salceda (approximately 27km's from Santiago)...I had hiked from Palas del Rei and 40km's was my limit...it was REALLY hot that July afternoon and the feet just got tired and sore from 30km on. The town was VERY small, but the albuergue was fine.

I did hike the next day and stopped at Monte de Gozo and stayed there. It was quite functional, and it was okay for 6 euros. (I just needed a bed and a shower). I got in at 1:00...unloaded my gear and showered. In hindsight, I wish I would have just kept going as Santiago was buzzing that afternoon (I had hiked in and got my Compostela and saw the church and an afternoon mass) I then headed back to Monte de Gozo...woke up the next morning to go back into the city and then catch a train to Madrid (I wish I would have flown...cheaper, quicker, and less aggravation)

Buen Camino

I stayed at Albuergue Boni in Salceda (approximately 27km's from Santiago)...I had hiked from Palas del Rei and 40km's was my limit...it was REALLY hot that July afternoon and the feet just got tired and sore from 30km on. The town was VERY small, but the albuergue was fine.

I did hike the next day and stopped at Monte de Gozo and stayed there. It was quite functional, and it was okay for 6 euros. (I just needed a bed and a shower). I got in at 1:00...unloaded my gear and showered. In hindsight, I wish I would have just kept going as Santiago was buzzing that afternoon (I had hiked in and got my Compostela and saw the church and an afternoon mass) I then headed back to Monte de Gozo...woke up the next morning to go back into the city and then catch a train to Madrid (I wish I would have flown...cheaper, quicker, and less aggravation)

Buen Camino
Yah that's the thing... if I am 1 hour away from the desired goal after a month or so of walking... forget that... I'm going now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed in Lavacolla at Alberque Lavacolla.
Then had a lovely walk into Santiago in the morning and was at the Oficina del Peregrinos at 10am. Worked great for me!
Yah... I've stayed there too. Only by accident however... there's an airport hotel there... I was walking with my sis and walked past o ped, I didn't remember to bang a left at the road... so we walked on and she was getting mad.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

More like a medium budget alpine ski resort in the height of summer.

I've always stayed at O Pedrouzo and have never regretted it.

(Edit accepted with apologies)

Last edited:
I stayed at a BnB O Muino de Pena once. It is off the path but they pick you and drop you off back in O Pedrouzo. It is a beautifully restored mill with a first class restaurant and very posh rooms. It was a nice place to unwind and clean up after walking 30+ days. It would be a great place for a group to celebrate the end of their Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I thought Monte de Gozo was a dump. I'd reserved a bed there because everyone said that was the traditional place to stop. I felt depressed the moment I set foot in the place. I went outside the fence to a nearby pizza place, it was awful too and when I had to come back inside I was in a foul mood. I knew this wasn't how I wanted my Camino to end so I went into my room, packed up my stuff, never said a word to anyone and left around 9pm. I ended my Camino just after 10pm in front of the cathedral, big full moon riding high over the towers and an opera singer busking in the little alcove with the brilliant acoustics. It was perfect even though I'd nowhere to stay.

Absolutely depressing place to spend your final night on the road. I stayed in Salceda before that. I couldn't find the albergue and ended up in the Casa Tia Teresa hotel. It was cheap but very nice. There's a nice bar across the road and ended up with so much free tapas that came with the beer that I didn't need a meal. I'd sleep on a bench rather than Monte de Gozo if I ever go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd reserved a bed there because everyone said that was the traditional place to stop.
Who was everyone? In the 4 times I've walked into Santiago on the Francés I've never stayed there, nor have the people who I met along the way.
I've stayed in O Pedrouzo twice, Lavacolla once, and Santa Irene once.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Who was everyone? In the 4 times I've walked into Santiago on the Francés I've never stayed there, nor have the people who I met along the way.
Neither have I. I've walked the Camino Frances 3 times and my last nights were in Arzua (twice) and Ribadiso. Offhand I can't think of anywhere I would be less likely to choose for my final night on a Camino

Neither have I. I've walked the Camino Frances 3 times and my last nights were in Arzua (twice) and Ribadiso. Offhand I can't think of anywhere I would be less likely to choose for my final night on a Camino
I don't have the legs for those distances. My first CF I stayed at A Rua and walked from there. When I walked my second CF with my wife, we stayed in Amenal, thinking we would walk in from there. Torrential rain set in around Lavacolla, and shortly after Monte de Gozo we found ourselves a hotel for the night, dried out, and walked in from there the next day. It was a much more pleasant experience.

I have never considered staying at the albergue at Monte de Gozo, or if I have, it was quickly discounted as an option.

We wanted an early arrival to Santiago, so we stayed in Labacolla at the Hostal A Concha. I definitely do not recommend that place, it was a dirty flophouse above a bar, with really unpleasant personnel. There was one shared bathroom for about 20+ double rooms, so of course the only toilet broke down and remained overflowing and unfixed. It wasn’t what I wanted for my last night, but it was a nice, easy and pleasant walk into Santiago the next morning.

I’d have to say that the huge place at Monte de Gozo looked unappealing from the outside, but I haven’t stayed there.

ETA: My experience was very recent, about a month ago.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've stayed at Monte de Gozo twice, once in the early days when all the buildings were in use, and it actually had open shops on site and a frequent bus into town and back. The other more recently when only one building seemed to be in use and the whole place felt very sad.

Lots of other places - various albergues, hostels and pensionés. Always within a 20km or less range of the Cathedral.

One of the best places (and exceptional value) I've stayed was a serendipitous one. I'd just walked past the airport at Lavacolla and was exhausted. I stopped at the first bar/cafe for a drink and asked if they knew of anywhere nearby I could get accommodation. Upstairs! the barkeeper said. His family had just renovated two flats over the bar, and one was available. Fabulous. It even had a full laundry, with washing machine and dryer, so my next day into Santiago I was a clean, clean, "washed in Lavacolla" pilgrim! After that Camino there was a gap during which I tended to walk in France, so did not enter Santiago, and the next time I did the flat above the bar was not available.

Stayed at Monte de Gozo twice because it was late afternoon, raining and I had no reservations in Santiago. Not really keen on mucking about in the rain looking for a bed. No complaints on Monte de Gozo. It was warm and dry. Yes, a bit unusual but practical. Both times the following morning was blue skies and cool weather. Got to the cathedral, got my Compostela, got breakfast and coffee and found accommodations.

Heidi's Place is the best hostel I stayed at in 5 weeks of Caminos. Great atmosphere and incredible food. Only 8 beds so reserve ahead. What a wonderful last night out on the way. 33 km to Santiago. You could get to noon mass but if you aim to get there at 1, you are behind the crowds on the trail and it was super peaceful for at least the first few hours of walking in the morning leaving at 5:30.

Heidi's Place is the best hostel I stayed at in 5 weeks of Caminos. Great atmosphere and incredible food. Only 8 beds so reserve ahead. What a wonderful last night out on the way. 33 km to Santiago. You could get to noon mass but if you aim to get there at 1, you are behind the crowds on the trail and it was super peaceful for at least the first few hours of walking in the morning leaving at 5:30.
Where is it? Do you have contact info?

I've stayed in O Pedrouzo twice, Lavacolla once, and Santa Irene once.
People I'd met, various things I'd read, all seemed to imply this was the "traditional" place to stop. I suspect from the size of the place that's not an unusual view, I certainly hadn't seen anywhere like it on my walk. After visiting it I suspect it's good marketing on behalf of whoever runs it. If I'd seen Monte de Gozo in advance I would've given it a wide berth, it's an awful place.

I stayed at
Albergue de peregrinos de Santa Irene
+34 660 39 68 25
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VFACSqQDngraQQwq5

That is where my legs carried me the day before. Nothing special but a bar just down the road a little.

I was going to stay at Monte de Gozo the next night but I arrived there at 11am and they didn't open until 1pm and so I just continued walking into SdC.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those who may want to stay at Monte de Gozo, there is another albergue which is very nice. It is located between the statues of the two pilgrims and the monument. Turn left just shortly before you approach Monte de Gozo's hill, about 100 to 300 meters before the monument.

You will then see a cultural centre, which is right beside the Polish Albergue. They have private rooms and dorms, a restaurant as well. Their secluded garden is beautiful, you can rest there. There's also a chapel and a patio to sit, when it rains or it's cold.

I did not stay there, because I had already booked a room down the hill of Monte de Gozo. But I walked in there, was shown around. A very friendly place and next time I will definitely stay there!

Last edited:
When walking into Santiago on the Frances, I customarily stay at Hotel Garcas, located just outside the airport. Here is the direct hotel link.

It is also available through Booking.com

The hotel is about 10 km from Plaza del Obradoiro. So, it is an easy 2.5 - 3 hour walk after breakfast.

The rooms are clean and reasonably priced. I just checked and a single is going for €60 per night right now. This sounds expensive. But, walking into Santiago clean and having slept in a proper hotel bed the last night out is - to me - priceless. It may not have the "Camino vibe" like an albergue. But, it is a good way, in my view, to ease back into civilization.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last two times, I stayed in Melide and walked straight to Santiago. After the Norte or Primitivo, it is a relatively flat hike. After Sarria, it really does not seem like a Pilgrimage any more due to the army of tourists crowding the paths.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed in Lavacolla at Alberque Lavacolla.
Then had a lovely walk into Santiago in the morning and was at the Oficina del Peregrinos at 10am. Worked great for me!
If I am on the CF I always stay there too. It is a nice albergue with a really nice staff. Good cooking facilities. I try to leave early and can arrive in Santiago about 10:00AM. There is a cafe about 3 or 4k. It is near the TV station. It is on your left and you can get a good cup of coffee and a some pan tostada to get you to Santiago.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Hotel Platas at the far end of O Pedrouzo on my penultimate evening. It was a pleasant experience. Among the pilgrims, anticipation and optimism were in the air as we felt we could crawl to Santiago from here if we needed to. Everyone seemed pretty chill. We were going to make it! It was dark when I left the hotel at 0530. I arrived at the cathedral before noon.

After Sarria, it really does not seem like a Pilgrimage any more due to the army of tourists crowding the paths.

Last two times, I stayed in Melide and walked straight to Santiago. After the Norte or Primitivo, it is a relatively flat hike. After Sarria, it really does not seem like a Pilgrimage any more due to the army of tourists crowding the paths.
Here's a thread for your consideration

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
that's a helluva hike...53km's. I did a number of 40km's days (in July so hot) and my feet were wasted for the last 10km's. I've thought about hiking straight from Leon to Astorga (I believe just north of 50km's) and then taking an easy day to Foncebadon.

Good on you

I stayed at Albuergue Boni in Salceda (approximately 27km's from Santiago)...I had hiked from Palas del Rei and 40km's was my limit...it was REALLY hot that July afternoon and the feet just got tired and sore from 30km on. The town was VERY small, but the albuergue was fine.
(Snip)
I also stayed in Salceda my last night before Santiago. I mapped out my last week or so considering my fitness level and distance tolerance based on 3+ weeks on the Camino as well as availability of lodging. I found Albergue Turistico Salceda, which is a beautiful property with friendly and helpful staff, bar, restaurant, pool, and other amenities. Would stay there again.

I stayed there on my first Camino and it was with probably 10 people I was close to along the Way, so it was great. It is sterile as Albergues go, but with the right people it was just right, especially for the first entry to Santiago and all day to enjoy.
Of our caminos coming to Santiago, the time we stayed in Monte Gozo is the most cherished. Sitting there at the statues at sunset not only provided our best photos on any camino, but rivaled any other moment on a camino for inspiration. Of course, I can't guarantee that you will get the perfect sunset! See attached, one of dozens we took that early evening.

Attachments

• sunset, pilgrim statues, santiago from monte gozo Oct 2017 JLarocco.jpg
    sunset, pilgrim statues, santiago from monte gozo Oct 2017 JLarocco.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 28
My initial plan was Lavacolla and that didnt work out
I then reserved at Albergue Monte Do Gozo with the same idea as to very leisurely walk 5km "on the morning of" and was gonna do that...until i noticed that their check-in was advertized as 15:00
Upon my request to check in at 13:00 - 14:00 the responce was "What you requested can't be arranged ahead of time"
and now it occurred to me that, heck, I might as well just hoof it up from O'pedrouzo where i stayed previous night - I mean if i got out by 8:00am and even had a very leisurely breakfast and walk - I still be at Monto de Gozo by noon-13:00ish and I was not gonna just sit there for 3 hours
19KM total is just a fine of a walk on the last day as on any other Camino day. After said leisurely breakfast and with one more break, walking my usual pace and taking plenty of time for photos and what-have-you (incl. good 30-40 mins on Monto de Gozo proper) I walked onto Plaza del Obradoiro around 14:20 or so...

Hence back to the OPs question - I stayed in Albergue Mirador de Pedrouzo and loved it
The place looks and feels posh. has great security all around (both main entry and your room doors are on electronic card< and there are lockers), 12-beds per room, washer & dryer if one needs them, good outside area - both covered and not patios ...and a HUUUUGE POOL (OK with my luck it did rain the day i stayed there but point it - it is available)
all the restaurants & bars are 'right there' some clearly across the street
A good concideration ofr said meeting with friends
Good Luck

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thoughts on places to stay the night before SDC?
In late October 2017 I stayed at Albergue Turistico Salaceda. It was then one or two years old with a restaurant on the grounds.

This is about 11 km after Arzua and about 26 km on to the Pilgrims Office.

Just before A Salceda, turn left and walk less than 500 metres directly south.

They have an albergue with 8 beds, each with a personal reading light and a Casa Turistico with private rooms.

All eight of us pilgrims chose to sit at the one table for dinner: we could order whatever from the menu, including a pilgrims selection at pilgrims prices.

In the morning you continue westwards to catch up with the Camino Frances

Kia kaha (be strong, take care, travel well)

I've stayed at Monte de Gozo twice, once in the early days when all the buildings were in use, and it actually had open shops on site and a frequent bus into town and back. The other more recently when only one building seemed to be in use and the whole place felt very sad.

Lots of other places - various albergues, hostels and pensionés. Always within a 20km or less range of the Cathedral.

One of the best places (and exceptional value) I've stayed was a serendipitous one. I'd just walked past the airport at Lavacolla and was exhausted. I stopped at the first bar/cafe for a drink and asked if they knew of anywhere nearby I could get accommodation. Upstairs! the barkeeper said. His family had just renovated two flats over the bar, and one was available. Fabulous. It even had a full laundry, with washing machine and dryer, so my next day into Santiago I was a clean, clean, "washed in Lavacolla" pilgrim! After that Camino there was a gap during which I tended to walk in France, so did not enter Santiago, and the next time I did the flat above the bar was not available.
Do you remember the name of the bar/cafe?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me, walking past Monte de Gozo on my way into Santigo left me puzzled on my first Camimo in 2015. At the time I knew nothing about the place and was confused, not even knowing its purpose as an albergue. It looked like a weird, dried up ghost town with absolutely no people around, no activity whatsoever, and was in dire need of some outside landscape cleaning up...very depressing looking.

We chose to stay in a pension in O Pedrouzo the night before walking into Santiago. It was too hot to sleep so we departed at 4 am, headlamps on and through the forest. Needless to say the forest was thick with moths and insects attracted to the light from our headlamps……next came the bats! We were dive bombed until first morning light. O Pedrouzo was unremarkable and the pension was a dump, but the bats were amazing. Nature always wins. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Between 1997 - 2007 I stayed four times in Monte de Gozo. Those days most of the people I met on the road seem to stay there the last night. Only once I walked directly to Santiago, as some people I met had made reservation there and had one room available.

I think MdG was at least at that time perfectly ok for its purpose. The sole complaint was, that there was only the cafeteria like restaurant to have dinner.

In the last few days of my just finished Camino I’d decided I wanted to enter SdC early and alone on the day. Last stop had been El Alemán at Boente. I reserved at Albergue o Fervello a couple of km towards SdC from Lavacallo. 1st July. Turned out it was the albergue’s opening day. Brand new. Same owner as Pensión Dorotea in the village. Excellent facilities, amazing kitchen unlike I’d seen in any previous accom. Lovely hospitalera. Very thoughtful design and beautiful planting. Only 2 of us staying that night. Good restaurant close by.
My 2 hour walk in the next morning (my first to Santiago) was perfect.
Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 37430CDE-42B3-49AB-A46B-46E72B906A9C.jpeg
    37430CDE-42B3-49AB-A46B-46E72B906A9C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 0C16EA98-DA2E-4EF5-AC53-7BD40811508E.jpeg
    0C16EA98-DA2E-4EF5-AC53-7BD40811508E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
My wife and I stayed at the Monte de Gozo albergue in October 2013. It was a hopping place. Several of the dorm buildings were open, clean, nice and full of pilgrims. At the bottom of the complex was a nice bar/cafe and several other shops. I stayed there again in 2018 and only one dorm was open. Still, clean and nice but the whole complex outside was a little shabby. Nature taking back over. It had been built in the early 1990s for World Youth Day, to house 5000. Quite a show in its day but no longer. However, whether you stay at the Polish Albergue or walk on in to Santiago, it is well worth a side walk of about one km to the left to see the spires of the Cathedral of Santiago -- your destination 5 km away. Buen CaminoIMG-3293 (1).JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know how much in advance this place is booked, but my daughter and I stayed at a hotel right at the highway in Amenal. Just past an underpass as in walking. It was not specifically designed for pilgrims, but they were very accommodating, sending us off with a prepackaged breakfast, even though the kitchen wasn't open at 0530. The room was lovely, though a standard hotel. The dinner was cooked for us early. We made it in time to check in drop packs and make mass. Though this year they cut off admissions, so you must be early to get a decent spot in line to ensure you'll be admitted for the mass. You can no longer arrive early and sit in the cathedral and wait, nor can you pack yourself in a bit late.

We thought we were booked in O Pedroso but we were actually in O’Pino/Arca at Casa de O Acivro. It was great! We had washer/dryer near us and we’re by the pool. Lunch and dinner was great. We left about 6am and got into Santiago about 11. Should have gone straight to mass but got our credentials instead. Went the next day to mass.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I love Kilometer 15 hostel in Amenal. You guessed it,15 km day to walk in. It’s super chic and cool and reasonably priced.

I like Hostal San Piao in Lavacolla, 10 km gets you in time for the 11:00 am service. Good laundry facilities, nice to arrive in Santiago relatively clean, in keeping with the name.
Unfortunately, Hostal San Piao in Lavacolla is closed since 2020....used to stay there several times, it had a wonderful restaurant. Try Pension Dorotea just across the street, it is clean and reasonably priced but has no service (they message you a code to enter); there is also an Albergue at the same spot (forgot the name).
Lavacolla is about 30km from Arzua, a long walk but doable as it is the last Etapa; the big advantage is that you walk the next day into SdC with very little traffic, arriving well before noon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unfortunately, Hostal San Piao in Lavacolla is closed since 2020....used to stay there several times, it had a wonderful restaurant. Try Pension Dorotea just across the street, it is clean and reasonably priced but has no service (they message you a code to enter); there is also an Albergue at the same spot (forgot the name).
Lavacolla is about 30km from Arzua, a long walk but doable as it is the last Etapa; the big advantage is that you walk the next day into SdC with very little traffic, arriving well before noon.

Yes, I was looking forward to San Piao in Lavacolla (dog friendly) but it was closed. So the only dog friendly alternative in Lavacolla was Ruta Jacobea which was like a business/airport hotel, but the dinner was DIVINE! And price was not too steep because there were 2 of us sharing a room.

As for route/distance wise, I think Lavacolla is a very good place to stop on your last day before Santiago. We did walk 30km from Arzua, stopped at O Pedrouzo at midday for lunch to recharge (thanks to 3-course menu del día), and the walk after lunch was very quiet, only bicigrinos encountered, and 1 walker who started in Melide!

On the last day, we saw a beautiful sunrise just after Lavacolla, and arrived very early at the pilgrim’s office (09.30) and I got my compostela by 10.15, took pics at the Plaza, then ran to catch the 11am bus!

The albergue at Monte de Gozo looked empty/closed in June 2022, is it even open?

Hi there.. lots of responses here... but I actually stayed on the outskirts of SdC... in a hotel! Super cheap... I had a lovely large bed and the private bathroom of course.. had a leisurely breakfast then just had to wald the few kms to get to the Cathedral. Id do this again.. also the weather was pretty grim with rain and mud the previous few days so just having those few kms made all the difference. Plus I figured I deserved a treat for that last night of the walk!!

Couldn't agree more. Heidi is a caring generous woman who cooks a beautiful home-cooked meal (proper chocolate mousse for dessert too). Unquestionably the best meal on the Camino. Greater than that though was the evening together telling stories with Heidi and two other pilgrims late into the night in the kitchen with a fire in the wood stove. It looms mythical in my mind...amazing for the last night before reaching SdC. https://taberna-vella.business.site

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at Santa Irene once. It is just a few kms before Arca and was run by a mother and her daughter who prepared a very nice evening meal. A year or two later I noticed a newly renovated public albergue was about to open across the street, I think I read it was going to have a kitchen but you would need to pack food with you from Arzua in that there is no place to shop around Santa Irene. I also wrote a note in my guidebook for future reference about a hotel/restaurant in Salceda named Cafe/Hotel Posada de Salceda. I had a decent lunch there on my way to SdC.

I stayed at the private albergue Santa Irene in 2018. A wonderful modern albergue in a remodeled older home. Fabulous. I am not a foodie but was served possibly the best meal I ever ate in Spain. Definitely one of my favorite albergue memories. Buen Camino

I stayed at the private albergue Santa Irene in 2018. A wonderful modern albergue in a remodeled older home. Fabulous. I am not a foodie but was served possibly the best meal I ever ate in Spain. Definitely one of my favorite albergue memories. Buen Camino
This sounds good. Unfortunately it may have closed down or converted to a bar as I can't find it anymore.

I noticed it in 2019 but didn't stay there but it seems to have gone now.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My wife and I also spent the night at Casa Tia Teresa and it was wonderful. The owners are great host and made our last night on the way memorable. The gentleman is an an absolute hoot who takes great pride in recreating you face in the foam of a cafe con leche. We will defintely spend the night there again during our 2023 Camino.

I stayed at Monte de Gozo at the conclusion of my first two caminos, 2015 and 2016. As structures, it is a disaster, but a good place to remind oneself to obey the law or get condemned to spend years in a similar location. I have overnighted there with pilgrims that followed the same route as I from a considerable distance, and was able to share a last night and a goodbye. The second time that I stayed there, the place was reduced to one building open and two rooms occupied. I was sitting at a table up by the road when a car went past and someone shot at me. The pellet landed on my table but missed me, fortunately. At that time, there was with nowhere to get anything to eat in the vicinity. A staff member took our orders, went shopping, and brought what we had requested. She refused all payment. I might say that I have had a mixed experience of the place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I struggled to book accommodation as I approached SDC in late May, so I booked into Monte Do Gozo without knowing anything about it. It was alright, so I don't get all the hate for it. I arrived in mid-afternoon, showered, changed and then completed the walk into SDC in the evening sun. I then went to a nice restaurant and had a good meal a few drinks and a cheap taxi back to the albergue.

I booked into Monte Do Gozo without knowing anything about it. It was alright, so I don't get all the hate for it.
I merely described what I saw when walking past in 2015 and again in 2017. I did not convey any hate in my post; only that it "appeared" to be abandoned, uninviting and a depressing looking place.

Last edited:
For those who may want to stay at Monte de Gozo, there is another albergue which is very nice. It is located between the statues of the two pilgrims and the monument. Turn left just shortly before you approach Monte de Gozo's hill, about 100 to 300 meters before the monument.

You will then see a cultural centre, which is right beside the Polish Albergue. They have private rooms and dorms, a restaurant as well. Their secluded garden is beautiful, you can rest there. There's also a chapel and a patio to sit, when it rains or it's cold.

I did not stay there, because I had already booked a room down the hill of Monte de Gozo. But I walked in there, was shown around. A very friendly place and next time I will definitely stay there!

Tried to stay @ the Polish Albergue in October 2021, it was closed. Does anyone know if it is open? Please advise.

Regards

Mark

€60,-
Tried to stay @ the Polish Albergue in October 2021, it was closed. Does anyone know if it is open? Please advise.

Regards

Mark

According to Gronze the polish albergue is closed.

According to Gronze the polish albergue is closed.
This is sad to hear. Twice we have risen in the night to do the last 20 or so km and arrive in the morning in SDC. Some friends stopped in this albergue and we went out and had a meal with them there in the restaurant. Everything was very good. Had planned to stop there on the next trek. Hope it reopens.

Regards

Mark
This place, Centro Europeo de peregrinación Juan Pablo II is on Google Maps and has a five star review dated one month ago and so it seems to be open. Is this the one that you meant?

If so, the phone number is +34 981 59 72 22. Try WhatsApp or phoning and see for sure.

€46,-
Really enjoyed staying in O Pedrouso at the Mirador. Great shower facilities seperatad by sex, comfy beds and the pool looked wonderful. Walked down the street to a restaurant recommended by the Albergue owner and had one of the best meals on the Camino. (sorry, never got the name of it) The cafe across the street from Mirador opens for breakfast at 06:00 and we were on our way by 06:30. We had a leisurely walk into Santiago and had our compostelas by 14:00.

I stayed at Lavacolla at Casa de Amancio, it was wonderful. Its a rural/appt type lodging, they offer different options. They have an amazing restaurant and offer a beautiful dinner (if you stay, do not miss the dinner, make reservations). It also has a bar and its about 10ks from the Catedral. You have to pass by to get to Santiago, we got there a bit early and just watch the pilgrims go by or stop by to get their last beers on the way to Santiago. https://www.casadeamancio.com/
Check booking for reviews and deals, we stayed in 2020 so check out the latest reviews.

I stayed at the Mirador in 2019. Delightful albergue and staff. But shared with a snorer from the Guiness Book of Records. Foam earplugs couldn't stop his decibels! Fortunately he left at 0400 and the rest of of finally got to sleep. Buen Camino

€149,-
This place, Centro Europeo de peregrinación Juan Pablo II is on Google Maps and has a five star review dated one month ago and so it seems to be open. Is this the one that you meant?

If so, the phone number is +34 981 59 72 22. Try WhatsApp or phoning and see for sure.
Ok... so the main influence for my original post was a Polish woman who insisted on staying at Monte de Gozo. I imagined the lifeless dorms and told her "no, don't do that!"

She said there was a polish monastery there. I had never heard of or seen it before. I thought she was crazy.

Well, so on May 24, 2022 she made it there, and it was closed. She stayed at the other one, and she told me she finally understood why I said no. She said they are using the Polish monastery space to house Ukrainian refugees. Just hearsay... just check it out beforehand if you are set on staying there.

Ok... so the main influence for my original post was a Polish woman who insisted on staying at Monte de Gozo. I imagined the lifeless dorms and told her "no, don't do that!"

She said there was a polish monastery there. I had never heard of or seen it before. I thought she was crazy.

Well, so on May 24, 2022 she made it there, and it was closed. She stayed at the other one, and she told me she finally understood why I said no. She said they are using the Polish monastery space to house Ukrainian refugees. Just hearsay... just check it out beforehand if you are set on staying there.
@trecile s post seems to indicate that the Gronze thinks that it is closed. I hadn't seen her post when I posted mine.

I have no personal knowledge either way. Anyone considering staying there should phone first using the number in the prior post to check if it is open or closed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back