• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stop !?

Roger0704

Let's walk the talk.....
Time of past OR future Camino
I did CF April/May 2018...
Gonna Do Camino Norte April 2019
Buenos dias Peregrinos,

I have the luxury to have lots of time to do the Norte this year (starting 09th of april)
So I can make enough rest stops ( extra days rest after a day walking)
Witch City's, Village's would you recomend to stop and enjoy a day extra????

Would also be nice to tell me why....;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buenos dias Peregrinos,

I have the luxury to have lots of time to do the Norte this year (starting 09th of april)

Hola

You can't plan the unexpected and it is at that exact point, the place you cannot imagine now, that will be the best place to stay an extra day.
So. Enjoy your walk and give yourself the gift of more time where you feel it will be right. :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

A few that come to my mind as standouts include San Sabastian, Bilbao, Comillas, Llanes, Castro Urdalies, Santanilla, and Ribadasella. (I turned onto the Primitivo to complete my walk.)

EdIT- I did not stay extra nights at all of the towns/cities, but any one (or two) of them would be great options!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, my only rest days on the Norte were at Castro Urdiales, because I had already been walking for a month, and as I walked over the headland and saw the town below me I immediately decided to stop for 2 nights, and at Luarca, because not only was it pouring with rain, but it had turned freezing cold (November), so I needed to find a China Store and buy a cheap puffa jacket. You’ll know when you get there when you need to stop :D.

You can't plan the unexpected and it is at that exact point, the place you cannot imagine now, that will be the best place to stay an extra day.
So. Enjoy your walk and give yourself the gift of more time where you feel it will be right. :)
I think that's the best plan for walking any Camino.

The advice of just walk and let things unfold is great advice. That first day out of Irún is killer. My advice is to get to San Sebastián. Shower and wash your clothes and immediately go to Gelateria Boulevard. You will thank me one say. Go early so you can have some before dinner and then for dessert.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buenos dias Peregrinos,

Mundaka. It's one of the most beautiful places we saw in Spain. From Bilbao take the train to the last stop and you are there. They have hotels and there is a hostel there as well. They hold surfing competitions there when the waves permit. It's a nice easy trip and a nice little break from the Camino

You can rent a car in Ribadeo and visit Castropol (on the other side of the ria ) and Catedrais beach (In April pemission is not required. Ask what hours is low tide ).

Bilbao and Santander. Beautiful cities with nice areas to wander. I liked rest days, not to rest but to visit and not have a worry about needing to be somewhere that evening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bilbao and Santander. Beautiful cities with nice areas to wander. I liked rest days, not to rest but to visit and not have a worry about needing to be somewhere that evening.
That's also my thinking this year, make more time to see....
Walking will be part of seeing

Roger, I start the Norte later in April but may catch you up. Unless your'e 22. My pattern for the walking indicates 3 nights of very modest albergues, then a night in an hostal for more (everything). Must stops are the major cities of San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander - and for me a must is Gernika. I will depart the Norte for Oviedo and the Primitivo, then the Frances. The Guidebook 'The Camino del Norte' from the Wise Pilgrin is quite useful. Some detailed investigation is required to find that castle, that monastery, or that church which are worth the effort. Ultreia!

Buenos dias Peregrinos,

Hello
Buenos dias Peregrinos,

Hello,
I am planning to walk Camino del Norye starting May 6, 2019. I decided to start in May because of weather being cold and windy.
Anyway I planned to have 3 rest days in my plan, 1st in Oviedo, 2nd in Comillas, 3rd in Lugo. By the way I am going to walk Primitivo from Villaviciosa.
I have read that Oviedo has a lots of history and churches to visit in addition to modern nice city. In Comillas I read that they have very nice Goudi buildings. I am fan of Antonio Gaudi.
In Lugo I am planning to walk the only exsiting intact Roman wall.
This is my 3rd Camino and I am a kind of person has to plan ahead of time.
Buena Camino and I hope you have a wonderful time in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back