• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to watch Euro 2016 in Santiago?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello,

This might seem like a trivial topic, but it's important for those who care... such as me!

I'll try to keep this brief...

Ireland are playing Sweden this evening in Euro 2016, kicking off at 6pm Spanish time. In years gone by, catching tournament matches on the way has never been an issue, but for this competition, Spanish tv only bought the rights to some matches... with today's Ireland match not on that list.

Investigating the situation while walking to the coast over the weekend, it turns out that bars and individuals can access all matches by registering on UEFA.com and if they have Apple TV etc etc. It all sounds very awkward and I'm willing to assume most bars won't bother with it, as all Spain matches will be on free tv.

The big question from me for those of you with local knowledge or who have already figured this out, where in Santiago am I likely to get to see the Ireland match? I'm sure some places will be showing all the matches, but without some steer on where to go, it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I'm even going to ask at the tourist office shortly. It might rank as one of the more unusual questions they've been asked over the years!

Thanks in advance for any tips!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I looked this up and it seems that this match will not be broadcast on TV in Spain. It seems you need to watch it online at www.uefa.com as you mention.

That said, I would stop by "A Novena Porta" and ask there. They seems to show a lot of games, they have flags outside each day to indicate what game is on tonight. Ask them and see what they say.

View attachment 27107
View attachment 27108

Thanks for that. I'll check it out!

Just in case any other Irish are around today and wondering about it, A Novena Porta WILL be showing the match.

Crisis averted!

Thanks again, Ivar!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very convenient and just around the corner from Ivar's office. Great place for a pint.
Spoiler alert 1-1 at 92:58 with second left to play!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back