• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to watch the All Ireland Hurling Final in Santiago this Sunday?

hyalinejim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2003), St Jean - Logrono (March, 2013)
We'll arrive to Santiago on Sunday morning and, being from Cork, want to watch the game. Does anyone know of an Irish bar or elsewhere that might be screening the match live?

I remember an Irish pub in Santiago when I was there 10 years ago... but will they show the match?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the match is on Saturday afternoon/evening, it's to be played under lights

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think the match is on Saturday afternoon/evening, it's to be played under lights
You're right! That's a bit unusual? I think we'll be in Arca then so I guess we'll miss it.

Jim it depends on your fervour and your pocket- if you book into a hotel you can often get really good sat tv in your room and pick up cover of an amazing range of sporting events. We 'had' to do this in 2009 to the see Munster V Leinster match....but be warned whilst my Leinster roomie was ecstatic..... I saw my team getting thrashed for a wad of money..... worst of all was, as we were sharing a small room, I couldn't avoid 'yer one's' cat got the cream smile all night :(

Anyone know of a place in Saint Jean Pied de Port to watch the match?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We'll arrive to Santiago on Sunday morning and, being from Cork, want to watch the game. Does anyone know of an Irish bar or elsewhere that might be screening the match live?

I remember an Irish pub in Santiago when I was there 10 years ago... but will they show the match?

What is this sport? Is it what it sounds like?
My Irish blood is tingling - must find this broadcast somewhere in Texas! :D

Tinkerbell thanks so much for that link! We'll find somewhere with wifi in Arca and watch it on my phone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Irish blood is tingling - must find this broadcast somewhere in Texas! :D

It's a team field sport and to describe it as a cross between aerial hockey and 'attack ballet' doesn't do it justice. It's fast, furious and fantastic the fact that it's played by warrior's (sorry players) ....who are amateur in the finest sense of that word makes it even better.
The All Ireland final between Cork and Clare ended in a draw so there is going to be an epic rematch......

Last edited:
Hardly worth the trouble of watching it without the glorious presence of Kilkenny and the Fiery combatativeness of Tommy Walsh and sublime greatness of King Henry being on show :-( , I'm going for an 8 hour hike in the Burren instead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

OMG Hurling is the funnest sport to watch I've ever seen! I saw my first match when I was in Ireland this summer, Clare versus Limerick. What a blast! And it was so fun to see Clare win while watching the match in a pub in Clare. Lucky me! (Note: 'hurling' is something completely different in the US - more like something college guys do after a night of too much drinking...)

Hallo Jim,I take it your name is Jim - my wife and I are from South Africa,walked in Sept 2012 from St Jean de Port to Burgos and then spend 9 days touring the east part of Ireland - we left last year on the Sunday back to South Africa,when the final hurling game was played.It was only in Ireland that we learned about hurling,never new it before,but realised it has a massive follow in Ireland - we also treid to get last years final results but never managed.Let me know who won last year and this year and also tell me about your Camino - my email address is:kogga@webmail.co.za - keep well and God bless - Johann Pretorius

I arrived into Santiago last Sunday morning, hoping to find somewhere for the Dubs/Mayo.
The Irish bar is no more, and there was nowhere showing the match.
Im guessing the same for this Saturday.
I listened to RTE Radio online, youll prob end up doing the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hardly worth the trouble of watching it without the glorious presence of Kilkenny and the Fiery combatativeness of Tommy Walsh and sublime greatness of King Henry being on show :-( , I'm going for an 8 hour hike in the Burren instead.

Booooooooooo!!! This post is reason enough to have a 'dislike' button!!! :)

Hurling? hmm ... there are possibilities here ... could we use its other sense and start a boot hurling contest in the square before the cathedral? :)

Booooooooooo!!! This post is reason enough to have a 'dislike' button!!! :)

Kilkenny is as Kilkenny does TheTinkerBell and shame on you wayfarer for posting a 'like'. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's a team field sport and to describe it as a cross between aerial hockey and 'attack ballet' doesn't do it justice. It's fast, furious and fantastic the fact that it's played by warrior's (sorry players) ....who are amateur in the finest sense of that word makes it even better.
The All Ireland final between Cork and Clare ended in a draw so there is going to be an epic rematch......

Well, I'm glad I peeked in here to see this thread. I thought hurling was that sport where they dust off the ice with brooms and push little discs across the court. So I guess I should have to relinquish my Irish passport if I've never heard of it or seen it?

Well, I'm glad I peeked in here to see this thread. I thought hurling was that sport where they dust off the ice with brooms and push little discs across the court. So I guess I should have to relinquish my Irish passport if I've never heard of it or seen it?

Not at all Laurie just have a look at this little video and if it stirs your blood at all your passport is officially validated.....;). Now that's what playing 'hard ball' is all about and wooden hurley (stick) and sliotar (ball-solid rubber centre leather coating) used in the game are pretty damn hard as well. Helmets, gum and face guards came in relatively recently (though as you can seen not all players use them) but I well remember when the mark of a seasoned player was a 'Hurlers gap'..... stretching from canine to canine!
Camogie is the name of the game when played by women.
The Scottish game of shinty shares the same roots as hurling and, when Scottish immigrants took the game with them to Nova Scotia, Shinty became one of the forebears of ice hockey.

P.S A sliotar can travel at 150km/93mph and as far as 110m/361 ft.....and you catch it in your bare hand:eek:

Last edited:
:)
The other one is curling or as Thai street sellers would say: Same, same, but different.

B.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Clare won!!! Yippee! I missed the match but got an enthusiastic report from some Irish pilgrims who had attended the match in Dublin...while we rested at the top of the hill before descending into Roncesvalles. Yet another great Camino conversation!

Kilkenny is as Kilkenny does TheTinkerBell and shame on you wayfarer for posting a 'like'. ;)

The 'Cats' (Kilkenny to the uninitiated) have used up their 9 lives. They'll be back for sure, but not just yet.

Btw, it still amazes me how our national sport continues to fly under the international radar. If you're visiting the Emerald Isle in the future, do yourself a favour and take in a hurling match. Place it at the top of your bucket list of things to do in Ireland. Don't forget to go to the pub afterwards with the fans - the post-mortem is often as engaging as the game itself!

Not at all Laurie just have a look at this little video and if it stirs your blood at all your passport is officially validated.....;). Now that's what playing 'hard ball' is all about and wooden hurley (stick) and sliotar (ball-solid rubber centre leather coating) used in the game are pretty damn hard as well. Helmets, gum and face guards came in relatively recently (though as you can seen not all players use them) but I well remember when the mark of a seasoned player was a 'Hurlers gap'..... stretching from canine to canine!
Camogie is the name of the game when played by women.
The Scottish game of shinty shares the same roots as hurling and, when Scottish immigrants took the game with them to Nova Scotia, Shinty became one of the forebears of ice hockey.

P.S A sliotar can travel at 150km/93mph and as far as 110m/361 ft.....and you catch it in your bare hand:eek:

I now consider myself initiated to the mysterious ways of hurling. I'm not exactly sure how someone can catch a ball going 150 k an hour in their bare hands, but leave it to the Irish to figure that out. Pretty amazing combination of moves, that's for sure.

And thanks to this thread, I have checked my Irish passport only to see that it's going to expire and I need to start the renewal process!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not exactly sure how someone can catch a ball going 150 k an hour in their bare hands......
And thanks to this thread, I have checked my Irish passport only to see that it's going to expire and I need to start the renewal process!

Laurie they do it by being brave.....and having hands as tough as old boots from years of practice;). Glad the thread served as an aide de memoire for your passport.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back