• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where was this photo taken? (filming "The Way")

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
On May 2nd 2020, Kathar1na wrote: And this is what it really looks like when they are walking The Way.

This movie will never be the same for me. 😂

Click to enlarge:

I wonder if one of you techy types could extract the exif information or whatever geolocation data there may be to identify the location.
Thanks

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's not very clear but it looks like there are the beehive shaped buildings
What I see instead of beehive shaped buildings: semi-circular end of greenhouses or similar agricultural structures.

I wonder if one of you techy types could extract the exif information or whatever geolocation data there may be to identify the location.
Some maybe helpful info for you techy types: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/74284/ is a screenshot that I took on an iMac and then I uploaded it to the forum. 😏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe near Irache? They stayed there for filming more than one day ;-)

I would think that photo may have been taken in a boatload of different locations. If anyone said they knew where it was taken either they
On May 2nd 2020, Kathar1na wrote: And this is what it really looks like when they are walking The Way.

This movie will never be the same for me. 😂

Click to enlarge:

Thanks
It was taken on a gravel road near some greenhouses somewhere in Spain on a sunny day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, Kathar1na, I agree with you, but I see what Sam was thinking. So there will be no exif information on your screenshot. If somebody could locate the original photo, perhaps that could be interrogated. In the meantime maybe somebody will recognise those greenhouses.
I'm finding it hard not to be sarcastic about some of the 'helpful' suggestions.

Actually, in case someone is interested, I have several reasons to believe that both photos shown above which are not in the movie as well as the movie scene where they walk through an unknown vineyard were shot in the close vicinity of Logroño (not necessarily on or near the CF). :cool:

I have been informed that exif information is routinely stripped from photos published on the web, so it will probably not be on the original images. We know where the walking through the vineyard was shot (opposite Briñas, thanks to Rodrigo). I am interested in knowing where the photos were shot, even though they were not used in the film. You could PM me your reasons if you don't want to go public.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is a nice photo of the four actors walking through a vineyard - no doubt it is one of the vineyards shown in the movie. I see now clearly that "Joost" has put his jacket on again ... 🤓.

There are dozens if not hundreds of photos that were taken while they filmed, photos that were taken by the crew or the crew photographer, by pilgrims and passer-bys and regional or local newspaper photographers and locals who had read in their daily paper that Martin Sheen and crew are in town. Maybe we should just try to live happily ever after in the knowledge that a photo was taken somewhere in Northern Spain on a sunny day or a cold day or a cloudy day or a windy day in October or November ...

Did you know that Emilio Estevez owns and manages a vineyard in California? During the first harvest, he was nowhere near Malibu; he was in Spain filming The Way and he is quoted as saying: "I was in the middle of production on a hilltop in Logrono, and I told [my wife] Sonja, 'You need to make the harvest call.'"

I don't know what a harvest call is.

Vinyard.jpg

Did you know that Emilio Estevez owns and manages a vineyard in California? During the first harvest, he was nowhere near Malibu; he was in Spain filming The Way and he is quoted as saying: "I was in the middle of production on a hilltop in Logrono, and I told [my wife] Sonja, 'You need to make the harvest call.'"

I don't know what a harvest call is.

I think a "harvest call" is when to actually start the harvest - factors such as grape ripeness, weather, taken into consideration - so as to optimise the quality of the crop and eventually the wine.

Here is a nice photo of the four actors walking through a vineyard - no doubt it is one of the vineyards shown in the movie. I see now clearly that "Joost" has put his jacket on again ... 🤓.

View attachment 77370
That's the vineyard on the side of the Ebro opposite Briñas. I have concluded that, although the character's name is given as 'Joost' in the credits of the film, he should be called 'Jost'. He is 'Jost' in the script (I can email that to anyone interested), and 'Jost' is in a list of Dutch boys' names, whereas 'Joost' isn't. Amazing what you can find on the internet, isn't it? After 12 weeks or so of lockdown, what else do you have to do but find obscure locations used during the making of "The Way"? Didn't you experience some euphoria when you found the Ermita de San Juan?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have concluded that, although the character's name is given as 'Joost' in the credits of the film, he should be called 'Jost'. He is 'Jost' in the script (I can email that to anyone interested), and 'Jost' is in a list of Dutch boys' names, whereas 'Joost' isn't.
I've seen this comment earlier on the forum. I'm not sure what it is based on. Wikipedia NL has a list of people who are widely known in the Netherlands, among them artists, actors, football (soccer) players, writers and politicians, and all of them have "Joost" as their first name.

The Wikipedia NL article also mentions two fictive characters who have "Joost" as their first name. The Joost from the movie The Way is not mentioned but there is a Joost Flets-Frimel, which is the name of a character in the Dutch translation of the Harry Potter books.

Oh, this has actually something to do with real pilgrimage and not with movie pilgrimage. Apparently, Joost is a Dutch first name that is derived from the Latin name Judocus. He is a saint known in particular in the Northern part of France, hence also popular in the Low Countries. The etymological development is Jodocus → Josse→ Joos → Joost.

Traditional local pilgrimages to Saint Judoc or Saint Josse or Saint Joyce - all names for the saint in English - are still alive. One of the 19 municipalities that make up Brussels is called Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, after the saint and his church there. And he is mentioned by Chaucer's Wife of Bath, who swears "by God and by Saint Joyce".

Saint Josse is often depicted as a pilgrim with traditional pilgrim hat and staff, and, obviously, sometimes with a Saint James shell, see for example this print of Saint Josse from around 1516 (no, he didn't go to Santiago, he lived long before Compostela's rise to fame).

Saint Jodocus.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've seen this comment earlier on the forum. I'm not sure what it is based on. Wikipedia NL has a list of people who are widely known in the Netherlands, among them artists, actors, football (soccer) players, writers and politicians, and all of them have "Joost" as their first name.
It's based on the fact that he's called 'Jost' in the script. To try to resolve the issue (credits v script), I searched a list of Dutch boys' names on the internet. [https://www.babynames.net/boy/starts-with/j?page=22] I must have looked at the wrong list. You jost can't trust the internet! :) I can't go back and re-edit the list of locations, changing 'Jost' back to 'Joost'. Your list of names is certainly impressive and persuasive.
Could there be any Dutch readers of this forum who have seen the film and heard how Yorick pronounces the name? No, it's not that important.

It's not very clear but it looks like there are the beehive shaped buildings in the background common in La Rioja. That's my guess, but I could be wrong.

You can see a clearer picture of one here: https://ourcaminoturtlewalk.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/day-13-la-rioja-region-of-spain/

I will pretend I didn't see this and preserve the magic of the film! 😂

Hi there, this is Rodrigo here, back on the block. Those vineyard scenes, and by the way, no serious caminante walks through vineyards, were filmed right in front of the lovely village of Briñas on on a very sharp bend of the Ebro river just a few kilometers away from Haro, the provincial capital of Rioja Alta which boasts of being "la capital del Rioja", that is the capital of Rioja wine. That specific location is lovely, but a a dead end. There is no bridge that allows you to continue in direction of Labastida or San Vicente de la Sonsierra and that would be heading north which is the wrong direction if you were trying to get to Burgos. But those scenes where they're walking on a dirt trail along the river, which you can't see in the movie but I know because I live here, is the trail heading into Briñas coming from Haro, and, again, they are walking in the wrong direction. A peregrino would theoretically walk this trail coming from Vitoria-Gasteiz, and I did once meet a Spanish peregrino walking there past Briñas. I asked him where he had started his hike, and he indeed said from Vitoria-Gasteiz, however, it's a very rare trail for pilgrims, and you would be walking in direction of Haro, then Casalarreina, Castañares, and then on to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where you would join the Camino Francés and continue on to Castile, province of Burgos. However, you coud opt to bypass this whole stretch and go by way of Miranda de Ebro which is a city already in the province of Burgos. BTW, the kings of Spain were in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Haro last weekend; but not that I care :) That being said, the original Camino Francés bypassed la Rioja and used to go through Vitoria-Gasteiz in the early Medieval Ages. And yes, those conical stone buildings are common here in la Rioja and are called "Guardaviñas" and used to be used as a shelter for workers working in the vineyards.

Attachments

• Bodegas Clásicas.jpg
    Bodegas Clásicas.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.