• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where was this place? - and make sure you sniff it out!!!!

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I forgot which day it was...and for some reason I assume the place was new at the time.
BUT either the day heading to Zubiri or the day heading to Pamplona there was an outside courtyard between two buildings (homes maybe) that had a pizza oven and a precious outdoor area to sit and eat. The energy among the folks who worked there was worth it's weight in gold. Witnessing their enthusiasm convinced me they each had ownership in the business.

I'm curious where this little place was if anyone knows...
I know the trail is filled with great stops to eat at BUT this was something different and if you have been there you would not forget it.

If we can figure out where it is I would share that I think people should make note in their guidebooks!
Neve

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was it this place?
image.jpg

It was advertised in Larasoaña as being 5km further on, but in reality was more like 8km. We had a great breakfast before walking on to Pamplona.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is the new bar/resto La Parada de Zuriain at the bridge over the river in Zuriain (not Zubiri) . The camino crosses the river there and continues west along the N 135 towards Pamploma.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember this place (first photo)!! Only I couldn’t remember where it was or and now I do. It was wonderful and I had a fresh, crisp salad and a coke..I think it was a coke. Maybe it was a cervesa con limon. I fell in love with cervesa con limon, especially on a hot day like it was the day I was there. There were umbrellas to shade the pilgrims and the pizza smelled heavenly. I want to stop there again in May.

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Well you are all very close in fact it is called EL HORNO DE IROZ situated a little way after leaving ZURIAIN. It is in the small hamlet of IROZ. It was a fantastic new place to stop and very good luck to the owners. Problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was on the 11th April I left home and arrived here after 54 days walking on the 3rd June.

Keith from Wales.

DSCF5775.JPG
I think Magwood has it right. I don't know the name of it....but it was super busy when I stopped by late August 13. I had to sit on a hunk of wood outside the cafe as there were no seats left.

I remember this place because I meet a pilgram walking back towards it after I left. He had left his poles behind there and had to walk back and get them.

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 63
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Well you are all very close in fact it is called EL HORNO DE IROZ situated a little way after leaving ZURIAIN. It is in the small hamlet of IROZ. It was a fantastic new place to stop and very good luck to the owners. Problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was on the 11th April I left home and arrived here after 54 days walking on the 3rd June.

Keith from Wales.

View attachment 8837
Yes, that's the place. We stopped there when it had just opened in 2011, but I never knew the name. Anne

We ate there one Sunday morning in April 2012, a lovely spot run by a husband and wife and helped by their young daughter. Great food and lovely friendly people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We loved this place, too! As you are leaving, you can take a mini detour to visit San Esteban de Zabaldika, a beautiful little church where you can climb the tower and ring the old bells. (It was one of my favorite Camino moments.) It wasn't specifically on the route we were taking, but a local woman stopped us just after leaving El Horno, to tell us it was worth a visit.

We loved this place, too! As you are leaving, you can take a mini detour to visit San Esteban de Zabaldika, a beautiful little church where you can climb the tower and ring the old bells....

There is also a welcoming parish pilgrim albergue in San Esteban which is open mid April to mid October. What a lovely spot !

MM

I remember it well. It was like an oasis in the desert after the early morning walk from Zubiri. The cafe con leche and food were delicious and no-one could bypass the aromas! The only downside was that it gave us the (false) impression that similar establishments would magically appear every morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I totally loved that place ! I went in May of 2013 doing Le Puy to Pamplona and was so excited to go back in October when I continued from SJPdP to SdC. But it was closed - I think for renovation..

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Agree totally with the above. A superb little place to enjoy an hour's rest and a few nibbles.

As for the albergue in Zabaldiko, we can highly recommend it. We stayed there last July and the facilities and hospitality were amazing. The church is really beautiful and going up to ring the bell was a first. The community in that little village were very welcoming to pilgrims and the atmosphere is a very special one indeed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
YES!!! Sorry I don't remember the name of the little village, but it was definitely a magical (and delicious!) place!!
See my earlier post,................................... it was IROZ.................a little way after ZURIAIN.

I remember smelling the wood smoke as I turned the corner down the hill to this place in 2011. Then the question was how much more can I eat before I headed out to Pamplona that morning. A simply delightful place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember that place also (The one OP and Magwood referred to). Didn't take a picture of it but I did take a picture of my wife's meal because she wanted to see it the beer tasted the same as in the USA :) It wasn't even noon yet :D
20130819_130316.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 23
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did a search for this place (El Horno) on the forum and found this thread. I stopped here in May 2014 with my "Familia" and we absolutely loved it so I wanted to make sure I had this marked to stop this September 2015 when my wife and I are on our Camino. For Pilgrims on their first Camino this is an awesome stop along the way shortly after Zurian and before Pamplona. Enjoy this being bumped back to the top for awhile.......

Yup, I stopped on my way to Albergue Zabaldika! (the often overlooked albergue 7 miles before Pamplona as NoQ says above).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.