• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where was your most memorable stay and why?

Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino Ingles Ferrol
I’ve just had the most amazing meal!

Context: after walking for 6 hours and only getting as far as 12km, I bailed and called a taxi to come get me to take me the next 12km to Ponte de Lima, where I promptly bought a new pair of kicks, yes they were the Hoka Speedgoats.

I was hobbling so badly, I knew I had made the right decision and decided the next day to cab it to my next stop. I realised on day 2 that 25km a day was not doable for me. I have 12 days total to get to SdC and I knew I had to modify the plan, the plan being the Stingy Nomads itinerary. After much thought, I came up with a solution, it involved a couple of private stays but if that means I can walk into SdC with a smile rather than hobble, I was game.

Enter Casa da Quinta do Cruzeiro in Fontoura. Shared room (2 of you) for €35 includes dinner and breakfast.

There is a glorious pool, I thought it was just the trick for my poor swollen feet. I called and asked how early I could arrive seeing as I was going to take a taxi, Pedro said arrive any time you like, he needed to be in Porto during the day but that he would arrive back in time to prepare dinner. I turned up at 9am.

First off it was so nice to have all the space to myself for once! I took a shower and didn’t have get dressed while still slightly damp! I washed some stuff and didn’t have to squeeze it in amongst everyone else’s washing. And I got the pool all to myself, it was pure luxury.

Then came dinner, succulent chicken, potatoes, soup and bread. I ate it all, there was too much food for one person but I couldn’t leave it, everything on that chicken that was edible was gone! Then Pedro made me coffee.

To top this all off, no-one else turned up so I have a private room and essentially a private pool. Why have I not heard about this place?!! Pedro was so inviting, gave me plenty of space and has been a smashing host.

If anyone needs a touch of luxury, or much needed R&R, I can 100% recommend this option.

Bonus, it is right on the Camino so you don’t even need to add any extra steps! I’m going to sleep well tonight. Goodnight all! Happy belly signing off 😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Albergue de la Santa Cruz in Sahagún.

Why? Real beds, always a bonus. A room to myself, heaven after shared rooms for many weeks. My own bathroom, surely this IS heaven. The anniversary of the death of my best friend of 51 years and so a day of contemplation and thanks for friendship given and received. An opportunity to talk to the brothers about how I felt, within an environment of caring acceptance. A day of effort (walking) that produced a result, no different to other walking days on this Camino but part of this day and place being special. An opportunity to contribute to others that was appreciated, I cooked two chicken curries for the shared evening meal, one hot and one not. A general atmosphere of caring for one another.

Hmmm... any place with a private bathtub to soak my body aches! I always took several hot baths when I could.

Other memorable places on the Frances:
Orisson - where I enjoyed a great dinner, had amazing views, and met my first Camino Family (Well... two I met on the bus and then shared a taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles to SJPDP.

Albergue de peregrinos San Roque at Villambistia - It was 2021 just after the Camino opened - When I arrived, all the local men were hanging out in the bar playing cards. I was the only Pilgrim there, and they were SO HAPPY to have me show up. The building wasn't special - but the people were. The kind couple who ran the place took very good care of me. The wife even made me a very special Pilgrim's meal with freshly made pasta with clams... (and a lot of other food) not the normal Pilgrim's meal. And I don't like seafood - but I really loved the food. And then in the morning - she had a VERY nice "to go" breakfast waiting for me near the door on the way out.

O Cebreiro - I was at Casa Anton which is one of the old stone buildings with a bar downstairs and private rooms with private bathrooms upstairs. The building and room were almost as amazing as the views.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Villavante the Casa Rural Molino Galoches. I rolled into town after a long hard day of walking. Called the proprietess as I was lost and she promptly came to my rescue. I was there early November, the last night before they closed for the season. Only one in the place. Wonderful home cooked meal. Delightful location on a creek.

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_082724725.jpg
    IMG_20211105_082724725.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 57
Memorable, but for different reasons then the OP.

On the Camino Levant there were a lot of remotes sections where we had to camp out, sick of lying on rocks we thought we had lucked out when we found a lush green patch next to a maze field, there was even an oak tree for shade. We bedded down and watched the stars twinkle above us, luxuriating on the comforable pad of grass. It was fine till 3am when a torrent off water hit us, I sat bolt upright and wondered what was going on, just in time to see the sprinkler boom rotating around towards us again. Should have known it, nowhere else was green in those barren lands.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Context: after walking for 6 hours and only getting as far as 12km, I bailed and called a taxi to come get me to take me the next 12km to Ponte de Lima, where I promptly bought a new pair of kicks, yes they were the Hoka Speedgoats.

I was hobbling so badly, I knew I had made the right decision and decided the next day to cab it to my next stop. I realised on day 2 that 25km a day was not doable for me. I have 12 days total to get to SdC and I knew I had to modify the plan, the plan being the Stingy Nomads itinerary. After much thought, I came up with a solution, it involved a couple of private stays but if that means I can walk into SdC with a smile rather than hobble, I was game.

Enter Casa da Quinta do Cruzeiro in Fontoura. Shared room (2 of you) for €35 includes dinner and breakfast.

There is a glorious pool, I thought it was just the trick for my poor swollen feet. I called and asked how early I could arrive seeing as I was going to take a taxi, Pedro said arrive any time you like, he needed to be in Porto during the day but that he would arrive back in time to prepare dinner. I turned up at 9am.

First off it was so nice to have all the space to myself for once! I took a shower and didn’t have get dressed while still slightly damp! I washed some stuff and didn’t have to squeeze it in amongst everyone else’s washing. And I got the pool all to myself, it was pure luxury.

Then came dinner, succulent chicken, potatoes, soup and bread. I ate it all, there was too much food for one person but I couldn’t leave it, everything on that chicken that was edible was gone! Then Pedro made me coffee.

To top this all off, no-one else turned up so I have a private room and essentially a private pool. Why have I not heard about this place?!! Pedro was so inviting, gave me plenty of space and has been a smashing host.

If anyone needs a touch of luxury, or much needed R&R, I can 100% recommend this option.

Bonus, it is right on the Camino so you don’t even need to add any extra steps! I’m going to sleep well tonight. Goodnight all! Happy belly signing off 😂
This is awesome. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 and stayed in small albergues and dorms along the way. I suspect my next Camino will be in private rooms, so any and all tips for great places with a hint of luxury are very welcome! 😂

My most memorable stay was in Carrion de los Condes in the albergue within the Church of Santa Maria. It was the usual type of from set-up with bunk beds scattered amongst its rooms. But the highlight arrived when a group of nuns pulled out a guitar and sang songs for the pilgrims before lights-out. I'm not religious but it was a lovely experience (and one which eventually inspired a scene in my novel).

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Memorable, but for different reasons then the OP.

On the Camino Levant there were a lot of remotes sections where we had to camp out, sick of lying on rocks we thought we had lucked out when we found a lush green patch next to a maze field, there was even an oak tree for shade. We bedded down and watched the stars twinkle above us, luxuriating on the comforable pad of grass. It was fine till 3am when a torrent off water hit us, I sat bolt upright and wondered what was going on, just in time to see the sprinkler boom rotating around towards us again. Should have known it, nowhere else was green in those barren lands.
Ahh, the two golden rules of camping on the Camino. Be wary of green grass and any place near a bell tower. How many times I have been taught that lesson, and I’ve yet to learn it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Casa Fernanda (Camino Portuguese)......Anyone having been blessed by their hospitality will understand the family's dedication to pilgrims. Early morning after breakfast as my son and I were leaving...Jacinto (Fernanda's husband) called out to my son and said...."David, look after your father ".....word that warmed my heart then and now.

Man I just wanted to warn against the Stingy Nomads blog. Those people must be doing 20-25 miles a DAY. The woman on that blog is a machine. They aren't nomads, they are on the level of professional hikers. Unless you are some kind of elite athlete, I don't think their 'itineraries' are doable.

€83,-
Man I just wanted to warn against the Stingy Nomads blog. Those people must be doing 20-25 miles a DAY. The woman on that blog is a machine. They aren't nomads, they are on the level of professional hikers. Unless you are some kind of elite athlete, I don't think their 'itineraries' are doable.

Quite a few people I met at the start were following it, maybe with a slight detour as they one or two extra days.

I was a naive, I don’t really do much walking back home so I had no idea how far I could go, how fast I walked.

I have the cicerone guide and their stages are 10 days, Stingy Nomads is 12, I thought it could be done, but now I have a better idea of my capabilities. I will certainly be back, this one and other I am positive!

Even with broken feet I am loving this experience so much 🥰

Casa Fernanda (Camino Portuguese)......Anyone having been blessed by their hospitality will understand the family's dedication to pilgrims. Early morning after breakfast as my son and I were leaving...Jacinto (Fernanda's husband) called out to my son and said...."David, look after your father ".....word that warmed my heart then and now.
Stayed here 2015 and it was a highlight of our Camino Portugues.

Well, you said most memorable. To me that doesn't necessarily mean lovely or swanky. One of mine was on the Portugese in Grijo just before Porto in a dirty crappy albergue with the most disgusting shower. The only other pilgrims were a lovely 70 something French woman walking from Lisbon like us, and a drunk Portugese man who was making pilgrimage to Fatima. We went next door to a family home where we were given a dinner of soup, pork, potatoes and dessert and yes, plenty of port. We ate with 3 generations with the grandfather a veteran who fought in Angola. It was so much fun and the family was so welcoming and accommodating. The wife got a little too enamored of my husband and was feeling him up! Haha! We decided to make our exit then. Very memorable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

For me its the albergue in the attic of the church in Granon. I cannot put my finger on why its special but it is just one of those places

In Villavante the Casa Rural Molino Galoches. I rolled into town after a long hard day of walking. Called the proprietess as I was lost and she promptly came to my rescue. I was there early November, the last night before they closed for the season. Only one in the place. Wonderful home cooked meal. Delightful location on a creek.
I was going to say Molino Galoches. I was my first day of my first Camino, and I was kind of amazed that I'd made it. We had a full house - 1 American, 1 Canadian, 2 Belgians, 2 Alsatians, 2 Aussies, and a Brazilian. Wonderful dinner, much laughter as we communicated in all our languages, and a great breakfast the next morning before we went on our separate ways.

I find their stages to be pretty normal. They recommend 12-14 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. There is one long stage of 34 km, but that could be split. Their stages are similar to Gronze.

Of course not everyone can average 25km/15.6 miles a day. But it's up to each individual to gauge their ability and adjust accordingly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bar none the best experience for me was the Donativo in Bercianos del Real Camino on the Meseta.
We had a fantastic communal meal that many of us participated in the preparation or the clean up. Before dinner people were split into groups from the country they were from and each country sang a song that represented their homeland. It was lots of fun. Dinner was wonderful. Afterwards there was an optional meeting in a small, round stone room where we lit candles and each person spoke in their own language on why they were on pilgrimage. The young priest was wonderful who spoke to us in a few languages about finding peace and about pilgrimage and a little history behind it. Just a fantastic experience.

I find their stages to be pretty normal. They recommend 12-14 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. There is one long stage of 34 km, but that could be split. Their stages are similar to Gronze.

Of course not everyone can average 25km/15.6 miles a day. But it's up to each individual to gauge their ability and adjust accordingly.
That is what I thought too! I was going to go read their blog - to verify - but I remembered them having normal/average mileage compared to other pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So many for different reasons, but maybe San Bol. There was no toilets and we had to wash with cold water from a small pool outside, but the atmosphere was unique.

I had passed it several times earlier, but then on my last Frances I went to take a brake there. Hovever, there happened to be a couple of people I had met briefly earlier. They planned to stay there for the night, so after lunch I decided to stay, too.

The parador win Leon I think was my most memorable!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Roncesvalles August 2001. Mom and I entered large stone dorm. We two were first pilgrims arriving that day. Then a set of four popped in two women and two men. All four began to disrobe. Our jaws dropped and eyes bugged out. Never, ever did we think sleeping accommodations were coed!

Lozano guidebook said nothing about that.

Grañon September 2002. The shared meal and prayer service in church attic choir stalls was very, very nice.

November 2002 Albergue de Peregrinos de Negreira. I walked in and spotted neat rows of single beds. I grabbed the one by picture window. The floors were heated. Albergue was clean. We ladies laughed while showering together with plenty of hot water laid on. All of us said it had been decades since communal washing had been part of our lives; not since Junior high school for me. We pilgrims put together a communal dinner. No hospitalero turned up that night. Some of us we so at rest we chose to spend an extra night.

Unfortunately, hospie turned up on night two. We stragglers we told to clear out in the morning.

Nice times.

One of my most memorable experiences was on the Chemin du Puy (Via Podiensis) when I had the privilege of doing a scripture reading at the evening pilgrims' service at the glorious 11thC Abbaye Sainte-Foy in Conques. I was staying in the abbey's pilgrims' accommodation when the priest came to the dining room to recruit readers for the evening service -- one reader for each language spoken by that evening's group of pilgrims. And being the only native English speaker, I shortly thereafter found myself, in my camino shorts and Crocs, sounding forth from the lectern of this magnificent 11thC church. I am not religious in the traditional or institutional sense, but something about this experience moved me greatly. I still don't know why it affected me so -- perhaps the solemnity, the antiquity and the beauty of the surroundings, the fatigue from walking all day, the joy of fellowship when one is a lone pilgrim. Whatever it was, it left me feeling as if I had been sprinkled with fairy dust. "We are blessed by everything, and everything we look upon is blessed." (W.B. Yeats)

I was comtemplating which one of many memorable stays to share on my Caminos, but post #26 has just inspired me. I loved staying in one of the pilgrim's rooms at the awesome Abbaye Sainte-Foy in Conques on the Via Podiensis. It was a very unique and special experience. My two friends and I shared an excellent private room with bath, but the memory of this priest walking past our window as I was looking out was a very special bonus indeed.
Screenshot_20220923-224227~2.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would love to hear about it!!!

Ha! It’s not all that bad I suppose.
Casa Alternativo in Os Eidos.
Altertive is definitely an apt name.

The property is a house not an Albergue, so one bathroom. The owner has built an external shower and separate toilet from pallets at the back of the property. But you can still see out the slats from inside the shower which means someone can see in. I was uncomfortable. The toilet doesn’t have a door but a curtain, yes the wind blew it open!

Music was on which would have been ok but it was too loud and so I moved away to read and journal only to be chased down and asked what was wrong, several times, dude, I’m just trying to take a moment to read!

It’s kind of broken my Camino vibe, this has a very backpacker vibe which I did in my 20’s and don’t need to relive in my 40’s.

Plus points are that the beds are good and the the pillows real with linen. I had a good night sleep but not the place for me.

On the CF:
Grañon, Albergue Parroqial. Most communal stay on my CF, great hospitality, great musicians
Villafranca Montes de Oca: San Antón Abad, best meal of my CF
Hospital de Orbigo: San Miguel, most "artsy" albergue with awesome hospitalero

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1. and 2. Rabanal del Camino (Frances) and Bodenaya (Primitivo) for the hospitaleros kindness
3. Casa Vanesa (Primitivo) for kindness and dinner.

What city? I am starting my research/planning of the Portuguese route for next summer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the country between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

See here for details https://www.gronze.com/portugal/viana-do-castelo/vitorino-dos-piaes/acogida-casa-da-fernanda
Casa Fernanda comes up a lot, what is it about the place that makes it special? The meal? The people? The host? The nightly activities?

I overheard someone leave and say it was the best, they were singing etc, sounds like my absolute nightmare!

Hearing how hospitable this house was I knocked on the door as I was passing as I was utterly desperate to use the loo, it was around 7-8, I could hear people. She almost turned me away, almost. I think my face must have fallen hard as she changed her mind and dragged to the loo. That was my first experience of Casa Fernanda so I’m not really inclined to go back and stay.

So, please tell me it was an off moment and my experience was not indicative of famous Casa Fernanda

Casa Fernanda comes up a lot, what is it about the place that makes it special? The meal? The people? The host? The nightly activities?

I overheard someone leave and say it was the best, they were singing etc, sounds like my absolute nightmare!

Hearing how hospitable this house was I knocked on the door as I was passing as I was utterly desperate to use the loo, it was around 7-8, I could hear people. She almost turned me away, almost. I think my face must have fallen hard as she changed her mind and dragged to the loo. That was my first experience of Casa Fernanda so I’m not really inclined to go back and stay.

So, please tell me it was an off moment and my experience was not indicative of famous Casa Fernanda
I stayed there when I walked the CP this year. It was a very welcoming place, both by Fernanda and her husband, and the other pilgrims. That might have been helped by the presence of two other Australians and that most, if not all, of those staying were reasonably fluent in English. Probably over half of us spoke English as our first language, with a scattering of other European languages.

There is a communal dinner and breakfast. Both were hearty meals, particularly the breakfast. It compared very favourably to what is sometime the simple fare of toast and jam with coffee or tea served in other donativo albergues. (nb - only the breakfast was donativo. Fernanda has set a price for staying the night.)

There was no singing on the night that I stayed! The after dinner activities were entirely optional and self guided, and on the night I was there were largely continuations of the dinner table conversations for those that wanted to do that. I don't recall any of that becoming so alcohol fuelled as to disrupt those who, like me, wanted to get an early night.

I recall that a Christian grace was said before both meals, but this was the extent of any specifically religious observance while I stayed.

The house itself is set in what might be a classic home garden, with an mix of decorative plants along the entrance path and vegetables being grown in beds covering almost the whole property. There is a small patch of lawn between the main house and the dormitory. This created a very relaxing atmosphere.

In keeping with the theme you have started, Casa Fernanda is one of the more memorable places that I have stayed. I do note, however, that what can be memorable on one camino can be excruciatingly bad when one stays again. Far too much of what makes a place feel good is in the context of the time you stayed, such as the community of the pilgrims you are with and your own circumstances when you stayed. These are clearly not constants.

That said, I would not let your relatively short experience with Fernanda deter you from visiting Casa Fernanda when next you walk the CP.

.…. I do note, however, that what can be memorable on one camino can be excruciatingly bad when one stays again. Far too much of what makes a place feel good is in the context of the time you stayed, such as the community of the pilgrims you are with and your own circumstances when you stayed. These are clearly not constants.
Very true, @dougfitz .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would not let your relatively short experience with Fernanda deter you from visiting Casa Fernanda when next you walk the CP.

So true, first impressions can be wrong and everyone has off days. I could have been the tenth pilgrim that morning asking to use their facilities!

I was just a little disheartened at the time, didn’t help that it was the day that was the hardest for me, started walking at 3:40, took me 6 hours to get 12 km! I was in agony and called a cab shortly after that day.

Currently in O Milladoiro, cannot believe tomorrow is the day I reach Santiago!!!

Last edited:
I have many memorable stays for different reasons but this one always stays with me for the camaraderie that was created that night and continued off and on for the rest of the camino.

When I stayed at the Albergue Andres Muñoz in Viana in 2012, I was in a room with 4 triple stacks of bunk beds. I had a middle bunk in a stack. At bedtime people started climbing - some with colourful exclamations as they tried to navigate up, off the ladder and over the top of the rail of the middle and top bunks.

Someone in the room started to giggle and then someone else and soon the room of 12 pilgrims were all roaring with laughter, with comments in various languages. In the morning the laughter started again as people climbed down. Throughout the rest of the camino, when any one of us from that room encountered each other, it was with great laughs as we remembered that night. This is the only place that I've encountered the triple bunk system!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
In keeping with the theme you have started, Casa Fernanda is one of the more memorable places that I have stayed. I do note, however, that what can be memorable on one camino can be excruciatingly bad when one stays again. Far too much of what makes a place feel good is in the context of the time you stayed, such as the community of the pilgrims you are with and your own circumstances when you stayed. These are clearly not constants.

So true @dougfitz . I rarely stay in the same places again for that reason, unless it was very special, because of the hosts, the building etc and not related to who was staying there.

Like they say, about not being able to step into the same river twice..........
The Pilgrim has changed, and the river has changed..........

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back