• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Where/Who do I get my credencial from

Daxzentzu

Time of past OR future Camino
FRANCES (2018) in planning
I'm in England and I know I need a credencial.

But where are they available - can I get one on the trail or should I get one before I leave - I purchased my seat on the plane and will be arriving in Biarritz on October 31st.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in England and I know I need a credencial.

But where are they available - can I get one on the trail or should I get one before I leave - I purchased my seat on the plane and will be arriving in Biarritz on October 31st.

If you are starting from Saint Jean Pied de Port you can get one from the pilgrim office there. Or from Roncesvalles. The pilgrim office in Saint Jean will also advise about any problems with the route and probably give you an accommodation list too. The Route Napoleon will be officially closed from November 1st so you should walk via Valcarlos instead. Well worth calling in at the pilgrim office.

Is it feasible to leave St Jean on 31st and take the route napoleon

If so how long does that first section take

If I left at midday would I be walking into trouble

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If I left at midday would I be walking into trouble

Sunset that day will be at 17:57 or thereabouts. Personally I choose not to walk over rough surfaces in the dark on unfamiliar paths when carrying a pack. You will have a better idea of your own fitness and experience than anyone else. Do you think you can comfortably cover that distance with the ascents and descents involved in say 6 or 7 hours? I could probably do it if absolutely necessary but I would prefer not to stress myself that way.

That very clear advice

Am I right to understand that if I attempt the route napoleon on Nov 1st I’ll be turned away

Am I right to understand that if I attempt the route napoleon on Nov 1st I’ll be turned away

Technically the legal restriction only applies to the Spanish part of the route - it is a law enacted by the Navarra provincial government. However I have read reports of French police being stationed on the French side of the border from time to time to advise very firmly that the route is closed and that walkers should take the alternative route via Valcarlos. You may or may not physically be turned away. It may well be possible to walk the route despite the official closure but then you must decide whether you feel it is justified to disregard local laws intended to ensure pilgrim safety in order to follow your personal preference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back