• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where would you like to see a new Albergue (VdlP)?

LTfit

Veteran Member
So as not to hijack Yallah's post regarding the Francés, I would like to ask the same question regarding the VdlP: for those of you who have walked this Camino, where would you like to see a new albergue (either due to distance between 2 stages or lack of adequate lodging)?

Arriving in Fuenterroble and Don Blas' albergue perroquial was for me a highlight after staying in many characterless, pick-up-a-key and find a bed/hospitalero-less municipals.

Leaving aside the obvious difficulty of running and maintaining an albergue along this route financially, where is one needed?

Off for a Sunday walk!
Cheers,
LT

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, haven't walked yet, but trying to plan my camino. I find the hardest part between Galisteo and Aldeanueva. There doesn't seem te be much there at average walking distance (20-30 kms). I am now thinking about staying in Oliva de Plasencia, about 6 kms away from the route.

I'd say we were pretty well served on the VdlP. That stretch from Carcaboso to Aldeanueva del Camino is a long one, but it's so beautiful going through those oak woods with the gentle sound of the tinkling of cow bells and the eagles overhead as one approaches the arch, that I could wish it went on even longer. And I'm told the place at Oliva de Plasencia is very nice if you don't want to do a 40km day.

Other places where the day was a bit longer than I liked were Alcuescar to Cáceres, but Valdesalor looked a bit of a dump and Cáceres is so magnificent even arriving tired at dusk that it would have been foolish not to make the little bit of extra effort to spend the night there.

Casar de Cáceres to Grimaldo was a bit of a long one too - there was a closed down hotel at the Puerto de los Castaños 3-5km short of Grimaldo which I would probably have stayed in had it been open - but the albergue in Grimaldo was nice (as were the people and the food in the bar next door), and the next day on to Carcaboso would have just been that much longer. One problem I had on that day was lack of water (ironically, as much of the day is spent within sight of one of the largest bodies of fresh water in Europe), as I detoured Cañaveral, so I ran out (the only time in 35 days), but you could probably top up at Alcantara albergue now (it was closed when I went past).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great! Very personal and usefull posts.

Thanks!

I actually staid in the albergue at Valdesalor - it has 14 beds (7 bunks x 2); a very well equipped kitchen - cooker, micro wave and washing machine. There is a reasonable sized eating room. One drawback was that there was only one bathroom - for both shower and toilet. We paid around E6. Unless you are there on a Sunday night there are a couple of choices for food and drinks. Trying to walk from Casar de Caceres to Grimaldo (43 km) in one day is a big task. The albergue at Alconetar is very good - showers, washing machine available and a great view of the reservior. But does have a limited choice for evening meals unless you bring your own.
Hopefully more pilgrims will contribute to this section - its a good forum topic. 8)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I actually staid in the albergue at Valdesalor - it has 14 beds (7 bunks x 2); a very well equipped kitchen - cooker, micro wave and washing machine. There is a reasonable sized eating room. One drawback was that there was only one bathroom - for both shower and toilet. We paid around E6. Unless you are there on a Sunday night there are a couple of choices for food and drinks. Trying to walk from Casar de Caceres to Grimaldo (43 km) in one day is a big task. The albergue at Alconetar is very good - showers, washing machine available and a great view of the reservior. But does have a limited choice for evening meals unless you bring your own.
I'm glad they have managed to open the Albergue in Valdesalor, when I walked that stretch, last year, it was reported that there was an Albergue in Valdesalor but that they could not afford to open it. I slept in the changing rooms at the footbal pitch, on a pile of excercise mats! Any port in a storm :)
Alcantara was beautiful, though it worked out a bit expensive, though that could have been the bottle of wine :)
I found the stretches OK but I reckon that depends on which Albergues are open. I just hope they manage to keep open the ones in existence.
Sue

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I am working at the moment as a hospitalera in the Albergue Dominico Laffi in El Burgo Ranero on the Frances but will keep my eyes open when I set off from Zamora on the 15th.
Laurie: will email you before I leave re yours.

Cheers,
LT

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back