• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where would you put a new albergue?

Yallah

Camino Guidebooks (Village to Village)
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Finisterre, Portugués, Norte, Primitivo, Inglés
Hi friends,

This question is just for fun. I've often noticed that some towns have lots of albergues, while others have very few options. So I'm curious, for people who have walked the camino, where would you love to see a charming new albergue open?

The two that stand out to me are Ponferrada and O Cebreiro. Wouldn't a delightful private albergue (something like De la Piedra in Villafranca or Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos) be great near Ponferrada's historic downtown? Also, O Cebreiro has so much charm but there's only one albergue in a decidedly modern building.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Larrasoaña and Hornillos, to offer something decent, as the Albergues in both if these villages leave a LOT to be desired!
Cacabelos could do with more accommodation. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Places like Hornillos are definitely overcrowded in high season, but the camino frances is totally saturated with pilgrim accommodation. Ask any of the albergue-keepers trying to make a year-round living.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I'm pretty slow-going by atitude (but my walking pace is about 6km/hr) and on my Camino my average was only 21,5km/day (Acacio and Orietta told me that real pilgrimage is only between 20-25km/day, after all hose kilometers, hahaha). Therefore I can't see the need for additional albergues in Camino Frances.

To be honest I even didn't like the off-road bar in the middle of the longest strech without "anything" (Carrion de los Condes - Caldadilla de la Cueza = 17,5km), but I stopped there for a beer anyway :) But I would be absolutely good without it. So that's why I think there are already too many shelters. Everybody wants a wi-fi, hot water, electric washing machine (no to say drying machine which is really a pure waste of energy!!!), bar and restaurant close to their bed etc.etc.etc. Is that a pilgrimage?

Solely my opinion :wink:

I agree that there are probably not any more albergues needed (I believe there are currently over 300 on the Francés route), just always thought they were sometimes curiously distributed.

I'm sad to hear that many albergue owners are not able to make ends meet with their work. I always liked to stay in private albergues and hear the story of the owners. It's hard to imagine that all the expense of renovating a place, getting it up to code, etc. plus the day-to-day work can pay off when the going rate seems to be €5-10 a night and many walkers have very high expectations for that price. I wonder if most private albergues start off with a workable business plan, or are more winging it and hoping. Seems like it would be a tough financial model.

There are fewer albergues on Camino del Norte. In some parts of the Camino you need to walk 37kms to find just one.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Deva (Gijón) - Lourenzá (Lugo) [2011]
Irún - Santander (2012)
Santiago - Fisterra - Muxía - Fisterra (2013)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Half way between Carrion de Los Condes and Cazadilla de la Cueza.

pilgrum said:
San juan de Ortefa. Most def.
Agree totally. The current place is a right SH, to put it bluntly, with decidedly unwelcoming owner (or at least when I stayed)

Agree totally. The current place is a right SH, to put it bluntly, with decidedly unwelcoming owner (or at least when I stayed)

Stayed there in 2004 and 2007. What made the place acceptable was the garlic soup and the hospitality of its famous parish priest. With the passing of Fr. Narroquin in 2008, I walked on to Agés.

San Juan needs to be restored to its glorious past.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, we were not impressed with the overall vibe of San Juan de Ortega - were very, very happy we walked on to Ages. Had a private room, the bathrooms were very nice (I think the albergue was called El Pajar). It was the 4th of July. We ate hamburguesas in the little hotel as you first come into town (we had pancakes with real maple syrup there for breakfast, too). An American guy who was walking with his violin came in and we had a concert - and he was very, very good. It was fabulous! All our friends were sad that they had stopped in San Juan. :wink:

Hornillos!
So people wouldn't have to stay in bedbug city!
That place is just filthy!
They seriously need to do something about it.
The priest there is just too old to deal with it, unless things have recently changed.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
also stayed in el pajar in ages and very impressed.

I first stayed in hornillos in 1998 and had the best day of my Camino ever.

2004 was brilliant, with the newly opened bar providing excellent food. 2007 was a good experience, though I slept in an overflow (not the sports hall), but the refugio seemed just a little worse for wear on the last two journeys.

called in 2008 and didn't stay because of the poor upkeep. In 2012 with the bar closed I just kept walking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also between Arzua and Arco o Pino.
Maybe a very small one on the Dragonte route, in San Fiz de Seo?

I can understand that opening an albergue is almost impossible to survive. The prices should raise with at least 50%. If peregrinos can drink a beer after a rough journey, the hospitalero should also enjoy the party.

To reply an earlier post about drying machines are a waste of energy: the sun is not shining everyday and a drying machine is handy during the bedbug strike process.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Half way between Carrion de Los Condes and Cazadilla de la Cueza.
Yes Meths ! But I can't say I even saw much of a farmstead on that desolate streach? Cazadilla could do with some competition.

But I can't say I even saw much of a farmstead on that desolate streach?

Hence the need for the albergue!! :lol:

There is a point where the Camino track crosses a tarmac road and that would be a great spot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
There is a point where the Camino track crosses a tarmac road and that would be a great spot.
YES, Methodist .pilgrim, that would be a super spot. Convert that place on the right hand side of the road into one great resting place! Anne

Methodist, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Hornillos.
I remember being excited to first see it, with that great chicken statue!
The church is very interesting. We went up into the Bell Tower.

When I was in Hornillos in 2009, we took a couple of hours and cleaned.
We washed and swept and mopped.

But next time I went through, it was bad again.
I feel sorry for the priest.
If it's the same one, he is ancient and it's probably just too much for him.

I wonder why they don't consider putting hospitaleros in there to help him keep it up?

I didn't see a priest when staying in the Albergue in Hornillos last July, there was a woman checking folks in. She was only there at a certain time until it was full. I loved the church next door and even the albergue didn't seem too bad but it was probably where my daughter and I were bitten by bed bugs. I vote for a new albergue there or a steam clean at sauna levels in all the nooks and crannys and new mattresses with bed bug covers.

When walking through the village prior to Hornillos, there was an albergue there with a sign that said they would pick pilgrims up from Hornillos and take them back to the village, returning them in the morning. The sign had a phone number I believe. Does anyone else remember this and/or has actually stayed there?

Kelly

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another vote for San Juan de Ortega. If I win the lottery, I would buy the place and renovate it ;-) SY

In 1998 and 2004 there were two villagers who were wardens at Hornillos.

In 1998 there was no bar. That night the lady warden got three pilgrims to take food orders and then drove them to a shop in the next village where they bought the supplies. They carefully recorded what money we had given them and they returned our change. We all then used the kitchen to prepare our food and ate there as well. I believe she only took a small amount to cover fuel.

Her kindness is still remembered to this day.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back