• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where's a good starting point for a 21 day walk?

Kbierstube

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 29 (2017)
Pilgrims,

I was originally going to have 38 days on CF and begin in SjdPP. I've changed my plans and now I have 21 days on the Camino Frances beginning Sept 12. I'd like to go all the way to Finisterre. Where do you recommend I start if I only have 21 days?

Pamplona seemed like a good place to start when I looked at the map but I'm concerned I might not be able to cover the distance to Finisterre from Pamplona in only 21 days (I'm 38 and in good shape). What do you think? Is there another town west of Pamplona that is a good starting point?

I depart Madrid on Oct 6 and so must get back to Madrid from the west coast during those 21 days as well.
I'll be arriving to the Camino Frances via Funchal, Portugal so am thinking I will fly into Pamplona and then bus/taxi to the starting point west of there since I don't believe there are other major airports on the NW side of Spain, yes? no? What else?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, how many kms could you walk comfortably? Make the total for 21 days, add (if you like) one or two days of rest or sightseeing and make your estimation. Click here
From Pamplona to Santiago there are more than 700 km. If you add the stretch to Finisterre, to me it seems as too much. I'd say some place between Burgos and León will be more reasonable for an average walker.
An aditional comment. If you don't start in Pamplona, a flight to Madrid would be better. And more convenient for the returning flight.

Why not start in Astorga? That is if reaching Santiago is important to you.
Astorga is very easy to get to by bus or train.
And Santiago -Madrid can be done by either plane, bus or train.

I cannot comment on your physical abilities because people can walk those distances but honestly I think it is not possible to walk from Pamplona to Finisterre in 21 days.
After all you want to smell the roses don't you?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, how many kms could you walk comfortably? Make the total for 21 days, add (if you like) one or two days of rest or sightseeing and make your estimation. Click here
From Pamplona to Santiago there are more than 700 km. If you add the stretch to Finisterre, to me it seems as too much. I'd say some place between Burgos and León will be more reasonable for an average walker.
An aditional comment. If you don't start in Pamplona, a flight to Madrid would be better. And more convenient for the returning flight.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about a flight to Madrid? To clarify, do you mean I should fly into Madrid from Portugal and then taxi/bus to my starting point on the CF?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Leon to Santiago typically takes 14 days. Add three days to Fisterra, and you would have a buffer of four days for rest and returning to Madrid.

You mentioned Funchal. I suppose it is the one in the Madeira island (I really pity you...such an ugly place:cool::)!). If you start around Leon (as you are being advised) it will be much better Madrid, then a bus from Barajas Terminal 4 to your beginning point (the company is ALSA, train is another option, use the "search" option in this forum for details).
Anyway, it is almost a given that your flight from Funchal to Pamplona would make a stop in Madrid.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pilgrims,

I was originally going to have 38 days on CF and begin in SjdPP. I've changed my plans and now I have 21 days on the Camino Frances beginning Sept 12. I'd like to go all the way to Finisterre. Where do you recommend I start if I only have 21 days?

Pamplona seemed like a good place to start when I looked at the map but I'm concerned I might not be able to cover the distance to Finisterre from Pamplona in only 21 days (I'm 38 and in good shape). What do you think? Is there another town west of Pamplona that is a good starting point?

I depart Madrid on Oct 6 and so must get back to Madrid from the west coast during those 21 days as well.
I'll be arriving to the Camino Frances via Funchal, Portugal so am thinking I will fly into Pamplona and then bus/taxi to the starting point west of there since I don't believe there are other major airports on the NW side of Spain, yes? no? What else?

Thanks!

Well, Pamplona to Finesterre is about 810 kilometers. You could cover that distance if you walked each of 21 days for an average of 38 km per day. That is about what my normal backpacking walking pace is, more or less depending on the elevation gain for the day. Whether you can do it, or want to do it, is a personal decision. Even at that pace I smell the roses just fine, while others may not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back