A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Where's the starting point in Madrid?

Camino Badges

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I finished the Camino Frances and am in Madrid now. Just for curiosity's sake I was interested in knowing where the starting point in Madrid is. Is is marked?

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2004-), Portugués, Madrid, 4/5 Plata, 1/8 Levante, 1/8 Lana, Augusta, hospitalera Grado.
We started at the church of Santiago, which is very close to Sol, where there's a marker on the pavement calles Kilometro Zero. (Looks like this.). That would also be a reasonable place to start, I guess...

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks! I'll check it out. Should help with my post Camino withdrawal symptoms.

Phillypilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
The actual first painted yellow arrow at the start of the Camino de Madrid is in Plaza de Castilla!

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
We started at the church of Santiago, which is very close to Sol, where there's a marker on the pavement calles Kilometro Zero. (Looks like this.). That would also be a reasonable place to start, I guess...
That's actually a zero marker from where all the road distances in Spain are measured and has little or nothing to do with Camino de Madrid.

But I can second that most obvious and logical starting point would be at Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista.
@Phillypilgrim is correct on the first painted yellow arrow soon after Plaza de Castilla in front of the Rodilla cafe on the metal post pointing upward = straight. You'll see it if you continue from the Plaza on the left side of the avenue.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
That's actually a zero marker from where all the road distances in Spain are measured and has little or nothing to do with Camino de Madrid.

But I can second that most obvious and logical starting point would be at Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista.
@Phillypilgrim is correct on the first painted yellow arrow soon after Plaza de Castilla in front of the Rodilla cafe on the metal post pointing upward = straight. You'll see it if you continue from the Plaza on the left side of the avenue.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
One of the few "traditional" aspects to the Camino Madrid route, as it is a modern route, not an ancient one, is the starting point.

This is held to be the Church of (Parroquia de) Santiago y San Juan Bautista (St. James & St. John the Baptist). As others have said, it is about a 10-minute walk from SOL.

You can request their very artful sello to start your Camino, in the sacristy after any Mass. The Sacristy is located to the left of the altar.

FYI, you can also purchase a credential and obtain a concha there too.

I hope this helps.

Michael Caleigh

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo September 2016

I picked up my credentials in this church last time I went to Madrid.
Might do it again for my next camino as I prefer them to the ones sold in Santiago.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%