• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where's the starting point in Madrid?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started at the church of Santiago, which is very close to Sol, where there's a marker on the pavement calles Kilometro Zero. (Looks like this.). That would also be a reasonable place to start, I guess...
That's actually a zero marker from where all the road distances in Spain are measured and has little or nothing to do with Camino de Madrid.

But I can second that most obvious and logical starting point would be at Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista.
@Phillypilgrim is correct on the first painted yellow arrow soon after Plaza de Castilla in front of the Rodilla cafe on the metal post pointing upward = straight. You'll see it if you continue from the Plaza on the left side of the avenue.

That's actually a zero marker from where all the road distances in Spain are measured and has little or nothing to do with Camino de Madrid.

But I can second that most obvious and logical starting point would be at Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista.
@Phillypilgrim is correct on the first painted yellow arrow soon after Plaza de Castilla in front of the Rodilla cafe on the metal post pointing upward = straight. You'll see it if you continue from the Plaza on the left side of the avenue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the few "traditional" aspects to the Camino Madrid route, as it is a modern route, not an ancient one, is the starting point.

This is held to be the Church of (Parroquia de) Santiago y San Juan Bautista (St. James & St. John the Baptist). As others have said, it is about a 10-minute walk from SOL.

You can request their very artful sello to start your Camino, in the sacristy after any Mass. The Sacristy is located to the left of the altar.

FYI, you can also purchase a credential and obtain a concha there too.

I hope this helps.

I picked up my credentials in this church last time I went to Madrid.
Might do it again for my next camino as I prefer them to the ones sold in Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back