• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which 100 km Route?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
We are currently moving slowly along the CF from St Jean and will reach sdc sometime around 13th June.

My better half Pat is walking this Camino in memory of her mother and will dedicate her compostella to mum. I forget the Latin term...

She is talking about doing another short Camino once we reach sdc for her Father. (So compostela required).

I had thought of Muxia, finisterre, sdc. Pat suggested just busing back to Sarria even and doing that section again.

But of course there are many other options. I'd certainly welcome some ideas.

We have a few limitations though...

Our maximum distance each day is 20-25 Kms max. 25 kms is a challenge :(
We prefer private accommodation (medical reasons)
Due to chronic foot injuries, long stretches on roads are very difficult.

A bit limiting I realise :oops:

But any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm happy to repeat the last bit of the CF, but it seems a pity not to experience another route if we can.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Robo : I am a big fan of the Ingles.
Now with the rerouting one etapa to Bruma is 25k.
There is alot of new asphalt roads but if you are not opposed to taking a taxi for some parts ( seeing you already will have the Compostela ) it is very doable. The steep climb out of Pontedeume could be done in a car too if you guys think it is too hard
If you take the footbridge next to railway out of Ferrol to Neda that etapa to Pontedeume will be 23k.

Regarding private rooms : no worries there. I too stayed in them a month ago and the prices are reasonable but I would book in advance seeing albergues now seem to fill up quickly.

The part Tui to SdC from the Portugues is also nice but more crowded and lots of asphalt too. I prefer the Ingles because of the quieter atmosphere.

For now : enjoy your Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For Tui to SdC you could take the bus from SdC to Tui/Valenca.

While walking north to Tui on the camino from Valenca do Minho which was the old frontier you pass through a mighty 17thc fortress designed by Vauban and then cross the river Minho on the 19th c International bridge designed by Eiffel. The view to Tui as the lights come on at dusk is splendid!

Within the fortress the camino passes through the garden of the pousada/hotel Sao Teotonio. Stop at their outdoor bar to sip a coffee or perhaps comfortabley spend your first night, relax and admire that panoramic view.

May you both continue to have a Bom caminho and Buen caminho!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are currently moving slowly along the CF from St Jean and will reach sdc sometime around 13th June.

My better half Pat is walking this Camino in memory of her mother and will dedicate her compostella to mum. I forget the Latin term...

She is talking about doing another short Camino once we reach sdc for her Father. (So compostela required).

I had thought of Muxia, finisterre, sdc. Pat suggested just busing back to Sarria even and doing that section
We prefer private accommodation

.... but it seems a pity not to experience another route if we can.

A top choice Robo (Finisterra etc)., but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is my first choice., having experienced those mentioned. But last 100 on Portuguese would be more of a ‘way to’ Santiago ., rather than the circular route, ( out to Finisterra/Muxía and back)
I was under the impression thatt the CP involved a lot of road walking and cobbles. Not so,?
I don’t recall cobbles much (if at all ?) on the last 100. Definitely early on ..

And congratulations., you’re both going well on the Francés at the moment.
Buen Camino.
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I had thought of Muxia, finisterre, sdc. Pat suggested just busing back to Sarria even and doing that section again.

But of course there are many other options. I'd certainly welcome some ideas.

We have a few limitations though...

We prefer private accommodation (medical reasons)

A bit limiting I realise :oops:

But any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm happy to repeat the last bit of the CF, but it seems a pity not to experience another route if we can.
The last 100 Km of the Primativo from Lugo is a nice walk, you would be back on the frances from Melide on but the part from Lugo to Melide is quite nice. Lugo it's self as you walk into it does not seem too promising but once into the older part of town it's very picturesque with a distinguished Cathedral and a lot of street life. We stayed in an albergue on the outskirts of town named Casa Chanca, a full kilometer from the center. As Nice as central Lugo was I was inclined to stay at the municipal which was very nicely located but once we saw Casa Chanca it was an easy call. The building with it's large garden area is located in a quiet neighborhood with a view of the roman aqueduct, the rooms were very nice with few bunks (4-6 I think) in each with a bathroom for each room and breakfast featured homemade baked goods.

That said for I'm leaving for my second Camino on Tuesday to do the Ingles from Ferrol. I found an itinerary on a blog called the camino provides, which extends the number of days but substantially cuts down on the number of Km per day as my wife has issues and even the longest day of 17km may be a bit much... FWIW, anyway Buen Camino!

Like Sabine, I would look at the Ingles.

Lovely coastal walk on the first few days, it is very quiet and whilst the 'normal' stages are long, you can break these down into stages of less than 25km.

The best thing about the Ingles, is that whilst the whole distance is about 117km, you do the whole walk, which gives a better sense of achievement than just walking the last 100 km of a longer Camino. About 50% of the Ingles is on asphalt, albeit on quiet country roads, and so you would need to consider this, but if you break the stages down to smaller distances, this may be doable, and you can stay at private ensuite accommodation all the way.

There are two hard 30 minute climbs out of Pontedeume and Betanzos on asphalt, but these are at the start of the day, and if you were fuelled up after a good breakfast, again, this might be doable.

Day 1 - Ferrol to either Xubia or Neda (about 14km)
Day 2 - Xubia / Neda to Pontedeume (about 15km)
Day 3 - Pontedeume to Mino (about 10km)
Day 4 - Mino to Betanzos (about 10km)
Day 5 - Betanzos to Mezon de Vento (about 20km) this is the long stage. There is an albergue halfway at Presedo, but it does not have private rooms. The hotel at Meson de Vento (which is off route) will, however, pick you up partway along the route and set you down again at the same place next morning, say, after 18 or 20km, so you still qualify for your compostela, and this is easier than walking all the way to Mezon de Vento which is a full 27 km walk.
Day 6 - Meson to Vento to Buscas (about 12 km)
Day 7 - Buscas to Sigueiro (about 17km)
Day 8 - Sigueiro to Santiago - (about 19 km)

This is what we did. Antonio picks up and drops off if you stay both nights now at O Meson Novo in Meson do Vento. As soon as you are sure of your dates for being there I suggest calling to book a room. Probably a good idea right through to make sure that you have accommodation where Pat needs it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of great suggestions. Thanks to all.
The idea of the CP is appealing. Different country etc.

Given we will be short of time, and we would like to get a Compostela, is it feasible to start at Porrino rather than Tui?

If our legs..... and knees, are still working when we reach santiago (8th june) , we might try another short route. (Knees took a hammering coming down from San Xil..)

I've been researching all the suggestions. Many thanks. A tough call.

But my gut is telling me Muxia, Finisterre, Santiago.

Just one question. How hard is it following this route in reverse? I.e. towards Santiago

And that climb up from Cee looks fun!

@Robo : I am a big fan of the Ingles.
Now with the rerouting one etapa to Bruma is 25k.
There is alot of new asphalt roads but if you are not opposed to taking a taxi for some parts ( seeing you already will have the Compostela ) it is very doable. The steep climb out of Pontedeume could be done in a car too if you guys think it is too hard
If you take the footbridge next to railway out of Ferrol to Neda that etapa to Pontedeume will be 23k.

Regarding private rooms : no worries there. I too stayed in them a month ago and the prices are reasonable but I would book in advance seeing albergues now seem to fill up quickly.

The part Tui to SdC from the Portugues is also nice but more crowded and lots of asphalt too. I prefer the Ingles because of the quieter atmosphere.

For now : enjoy your Camino.
I second the Inglés, my wife has health issues and cannot do long stages so we did more or less half stages based on a blackboard I'd seen in Cafe Maragotto In Neda ( see the blog " theCaminoProvides"). The walk was pleasant if not spectacular and reasonably varied. Someone in our group was dormitory adverse and we were afraid there would be no room by the late hour we'd probably arrive in Presedo so I arranged for a taxi to pick us up there when we telephoned, Cabbed it back to Betanzos then took the same cab back to where we had left off the next morning. each ride cost 15E which was split between four of us. It worked out great.
Another plus on the Inglés is the last day's walk into Santiago. Doing short stages made this a 16km walk with most of it pretty green, you miss the view from afar from the Monte de Gozo but there is also a lack of grafitti, vandalism to way markers, litter and TP which bummed me out when the primativo merged with the Francés. Whatever you choose Buen Camino to you both!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back