• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which accessories for Sony RX100 V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 73526
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 73526

I was thinking about buying a Sony RX100 VI for still photos when walking , but wasn't sure if I could afford it. Yesterday I came across an ex-display Sony RX100 V for £542 ... Decision made. I have a new toy to take on my next walk.

I'm thinking of buying the following kit to go with it:
Spare battery & charger kit - ACC-TRDCJ
Tripod - GorillaPod 325
Pouch that fits rucksack strap - Lowepro Dashpoint 20

Are there other accessories that I should take? Or better options than those I've listed above?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How much impedimentia do you want?

If you are just a happy snapper like me, the tripod is superfluous. And I merely carried the camera in its strap around my neck (easy to get to and easy to know that it was missing).

Spare battery and charger are comparatively light, so no worries there...

I'm conscious that any extra kit means extra weight, but I'm willing to carry some small things - a polarizing filter (if I can find one that can be attached), cards, batteries. With regard to the tripod - it adds 325g, but it helps with low light photos.
I think I prefer to have the camera fixed to a rucksack strap than hanging on my neck. Ideally, I'd like a velcro flap instead of the zip opening of the Lowepro pouch.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carried a Sony RX100-V on my last Camino Frances. My favorite camera hands down. I found that an Osprey small-size camera case fit the sony RX100 perfectly, and it fastened to the front of the shoulder straps on my backpack, giving me easy access. You can charge the battery with a USB cable while the battery is in the phone - no need to carry a separate charger, but I always carry a second battery and spare memory cards. I have attached a photo showing me with the camera at the ready.

You'll love the Sony RX100 camera! The model V is a big improvement from the model III and model IV, especially the change in the zoom of the lense.
jcg_bierzo.jpgjcg_leon.jpg
Buen Camino,

--jim--

Depending on your video shooting needs, photos only may be fine without the spare battery. I'm not much of a video shooter, just clips here an there and those are with my phone. My Canon 5d3 was good with one battery and charging every 3-5 days depending on what I was shooting and how much. Obviously, YMMV.

I like the tripod only if you think you will be using it for self portraits or group shots or in low light situations. If you can adjust ISO and do long exposures with your model camera you might not mind the weight.

I literally used no special camera bag container. Just a small one for cables, etc. As I was walking in winter, I used a ThinkTank Hydrophobia rain cover. They are expensive but I've used them since they were first available for super telephoto gear and they are solid. Likely overkill for you, but something similar and less expensive is likely all you need.

@jozero suggested a Peak Design mounting clip for the camera. I really, really didn't want to like it. It wouldn't have worked with the camera I wanted to take, but having a camera strapped over your chest, belly for 500 miles, bouncing...for five hundred miles...I realized I needed another option. The Peak Design really ended up working well and you might want to look at it. Again, thanks @jozero for the great idea!

If you really plan on using it, take it. If you enjoy the shots it is well worth the price of admission!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might mean the VI? I was tempted to get the VI but settled for V since I found a good price.
Yes, you are right - when I walked the Camino Frances in autumn of 2017, I had an RX100 model VI with the more extended zoom. When I walked the Camino Frances in spring of 2016, I had an RX100 model III. There were only a very few times that I actually used or needed the longer zoom of the model VI for the picture I was after. The lens of the model III, IV, and V is quite sufficient for the types of pictures I was taking on my Camino walks. I have other cameras, including a Sony A-6000 with removable lenses, but I gravitate to my RX100 almost all the time - it is a VERY good camera (and I get far better pictures than with my phone). My Sony RX100 is now my favorite, "go to" camera.

One note - I have the small hand-held tripod from Sony, the VCT-SGR1. It can be used as a hand grip or a small tripod to stand on a table. Took it with me on my second Camino, never used it, not even once. [I did use it a more than a few times in Thailand.] Would not take it to Spain again, nor would I take any other tripod.

I use Pacer Poles for walking, and one option was an attachment to attach to a camera, essentially making the pole a monopod. Never used it, not even once.

--jim--

I have the similar Sony Nex3. The only accessory I took was a polarizing filter. Everything else was too heavy or unnecessary, at least for my uses. I could get several days out of the battery, so no need for a spare. Just a charging chord and EU plug with USB ports (which also works to charge a Kindle or a phone). No tripod (just used a rock or a wall if necessary). No separate camera bag--just used a shoulder pouch on my pack (and a small daypack (which also doubles as a grocery bag, clothes bag, etc.) to carry around at night, to dinner, etc., when I do not have my pack on). But taking the better camera was well worth the weight. Pictures so much better than on my phone. Buen Camino.

Jo Jo

Great camera, you will love it. I have the III. If I were buying it new now, I'd get the VI because telephoto is important to me. It was/is so important that when I bought the III I also bought the HX-90 just for it's incredible 30x optical zoom. The VI is an 8.3x optical zoom. The HX-90 is half the price in a slightly smaller, lighter plastic body and still has a pop up focusable view finder. It is the camera I grab first unless I know I'll be in low light. I did bring a 3" flexible gooseneck mount that screwed into the end of my hiking poles. I had a super small and light weight quick mount/release on the goosneck and the associated plates on the HX90 and a Sony Action Cam. I used the pole as a selfy stick for video while walking with the action cam and it worked pretty well. I used it a couple times as a mono pod with the HX90. I also brought a carbon fiber, 3 section tent pole that I used with my two hiking poles to make a tripod. I only used that once even though it was quick to deploy as it was attached full time to one of the hiking poles. This tripod setup with flexible gooseneck only works with a very lightweight camera. The RX100 due to it's increased weight and cost if it all toppled over does not work in this set up and it is even a bit dodgy with the HX90.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will use a Canon G7x and will use a mini-tripod from Rollei (very lightweight) and a spare battery and a dozen SD-Cards (160GB in total). The Carger is a Ultra-Mini-Charger from ebay, so it will be possible to charge a battery while the Camera is in use. The Camera will sit on the shoulder-strap of my backpack in a LowePro case using a Velcro-Strap.

Buen Camino!
Roland

For an expensive camera extra battery and charger should be the better choice. So the cheaper battery and/or charger might be easily stolen, but not the camera and the fotos.
Take several memory cards with you and try to develop a backup strategy. For 4K videos you'll need speedy cards (U3 speed class), HD video will work with class 10. The read speed is usually given for publicity but not too important for the day by day use, though I'd suggest to buy an USB3.0 card reader, which normaly fits best to about 100MB/s ratings (UHS-I).
Depending on the data size and how much fotos / videos you take choose your card size. 32GB should be good for 700 JPEGs. Some photographers take this amount in one day, others need a week or longer. RAW Files and Video need much more space.

>With regard to the tripod - it adds 325g,
I've read 2oz ~75g! If it is 325g I'd rather look for special trekking poles that can be used as monopod.

The Pouch is good (have a blue one myself), only a fully waterproof pouch would be better sometimes.

For an expensive camera extra battery and charger should be the better choice. So the cheaper battery and/or charger might be easily stolen, but not the camera and the fotos.
Take several memory cards with you and try to develop a backup strategy. For 4K videos you'll need speedy cards (U3 speed class), HD video will work with class 10. The read speed is usually given for publicity but not too important for the day by day use, though I'd suggest to buy an USB3.0 card reader, which normaly fits best to about 100MB/s ratings (UHS-I).
Depending on the data size and how much fotos / videos you take choose your card size. 32GB should be good for 700 JPEGs. Some photographers take this amount in one day, others need a week or longer. RAW Files and Video need much more space.

>With regard to the tripod - it adds 325g,
I've read 2oz ~75g! If it is 325g I'd rather look for special trekking poles that can be used as monopod.

The Pouch is good (have a blue one myself), only a fully waterproof pouch would be better sometimes.
32GB will hold about 700+ RAW files or 700 enormous jpegs. I'd suggest you can get about 3000+/ 32 GB depending on megapixels and jpeg compression.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try this lot.
Perhaps the tripod is unnecessary but I'll carry it for a while and see.

Spare battery & chargerACC-TRDCJ
Polarising filterMagFilter CPL 42 mm
PouchLowepro Dashpoint 10
Memory cardsSanDisk Extreme PRO 32 GB
GripSony AGR2
Screen protectorGeneric
TripodManfrotto Pixi Evo
Smartphone clamp
Master Lock - ball bungees X 4

Raggy,
The grip addition to the RX100 seems like a small thing, but it is just right - I love it, got one after I had my model III, then it was the first thing bought when I got my second RX100 (the model VI).

A charger to consider is the Sony-ACCTRDCX-Travel-Charger. This one is very small and light, and uses a USB cable.

--jim--

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have had a M3 since 2015 and have carried it along on all my journeys, including six weeks on the CF. I bought an "old fashioned" type of case, leatherette, which I use to keep it around my neck. (my profile pic actually shows me with it!) In fact, with the exception of a day or two of rain, carried it around my neck all 800k. The XEVN which you can get on Amazon is like what I have, though I think mine was cheaper. The case gives you a bit extra grip and provides some extra protection when banged or dropped. Just a great, all-around camera. Wish the zoom range was a bit longer on mine, but the image quality is superb. I brought an extra battery or two along, but if you charge it each evening, will likely not need it. Don't bother with a charger along the Camino, since charging the battery in the camera is sufficient. IF you have the time, you can swap the battery out in the evening and charge the spare. Bring an extra SD card.

@Darby67 You are right, I did not calculate well. Sorry.
>3000 JPEGs seems to be a more exact guess for a 32GB card, maybe it still fits on 16GB.
I own a Sony NEX 3N with 16Mpixel. JPEGs are about 4-5MByte average, RAW had about 3-4 times the size, but I did not used it for long. Picking up the best 100 photos of the camino was enough work for me. I tend to resize them (automatic) for showing them faster on the family TV. The extra quality of RAW one will hardly see then. Sometimes I take short MP4 video clips which is some 100MB in Minutes.

An inexpensive and light charger is something I can afford carrying as well as to lose or destroy it. I can't afford to "lose" a 1000$ camera and I would not like to lose the pictures I made. The best one can do to avoid this is always keeping an eye on the valuable things. But I wouldn't like to watch and stay 2 hours near the camera just waiting that it will be recharged.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try this lot.
Perhaps the tripod is unnecessary but I'll carry it for a while and see.

I took a small tripod with me similar to the Pixi Evo and I recommend sliding some rubber washers/o-rings onto each leg so you can hook the tripod on church pews, chair backs and other small ledges to make your tripod more versatile. You can pick up the washers in any hardware store for about $2. I was able to use my tripod in most churches and museums.IMG_9403.JPG

I have a Sony DSC WX350, costs £150, has a 20x optical zoom and take "great" pictures. The battery lasts twice as long as the M6 so I can survive days without a charge and it is half the weight. It slips in my pocket without a case and has survived the rough and tumble Via Podiensis and the whole of the Via Francigena. We are off to Shikoku soon. The photos print well in my A4 size photobooks. I keep thinking about the M6, I would love one for the picture quality but it's not as good a Camino camera as mine. By the way, always transfer the photos to your iPhone and on to the Cloud every night to save worrying about loss.

I will use a Canon G7x and will use a mini-tripod from Rollei (very lightweight) and a spare battery and a dozen SD-Cards (160GB in total). The Carger is a Ultra-Mini-Charger from ebay, so it will be possible to charge a battery while the Camera is in use. The Camera will sit on the shoulder-strap of my backpack in a LowePro case using a Velcro-Strap.

Buen Camino!
Roland
i am planning to take the same camera, canon g7x m2. let us know how it goes! buen camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peak Design mounting clip for the camera.
Glad it worked for you, Mate! I'd also mention that the mounting plate that I used for the Peak Design clip also worked in my Gorillipod tripod so even though the vast majority of the time my camera was on my shoulder strap ready for fast action, when I pulled out my tripod I could secure the camera on it in seconds and the nature of the Gorillipod meant I could attach it to trees, sign posts, fences, etc for very nice 'selfies'!

I have been delighted with my Sony RX100 in all my caminos. I have moved away from carrying a charger and have bought and carry extra batteries instead, which I pre-charge before starting camino.

Would anyone like a polarizing filter - MagFilter CPL 42 mm - for the RX100?

The background story - I think this filter is a useful accessory, but I managed to lose the storage case and magnetic ring, so I bought a new one. I'll be happy to send you my first filter and a magnetic ring to attach it to your RX100 if you'd like to give it a go. (I'll throw in a screen protector too).

Send me a Private Message if you're interested. Early worm gets the bird.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been very happy with mine and mostly carry it in my front right pocket. I use the spare battery and charger as well as extra memory cards. I also have an add on grip that I love. I carried a travel tripod for a couple thousand miles and never use it though I use one frequently with my Nikon full size at home. The Sony RX100 is the perfect travel camera for me.

Would like bring my 60D with 10-18 wide & 17-50 F2.8 lens, but begining to feel its impractical. Alternative to buy Sony DSC-RX100 VI or Canon G5 X Mark II camera. I like to get the best quality photos, the nearest I would get with my 60D. Has anyone done any Youtube vidoes of there Camino using either of these compact cameras ? Would appreciate a link.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.