• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Which accommodations do you primarily use?

Which (max two alternatives) accomodations do you primarily use on the camino?

• Donativos

Votes: 34 13.0%
  • Private albergues

Votes: 142 54.2%
  • Municipal/associated albergues

Votes: 123 46.9%
  • Casa Rurales

Votes: 33 12.6%
  • Hostals

Votes: 64 24.4%
  • Hotels

Votes: 68 26.0%
  • Paradores

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Camping

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Private homes

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other accomodations

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Pelen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018 SJPdP-Logroño)
This is a poll if you didn't get that from the prefix. You can answer in the poll or in the thread or both. The alternatives is probably not covering all alternatives or some of them is similar, but I did my best when finding the answer alternatives.

Which (max two alternatives per person) accommodations do you primarily use on the camino?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vote the two you use most. :)
Ok, but not sure because...First camino was mostly municiple albergues, 2nd munis and private albergues, 3rd added in casa rural and guest house, 4th all gites, 5th guesthouses and hotels. 6th coming up and will be a mixture of mostly hotels, a few private albergues, and an apartment.

Personally, I don't really think that much about the type of albergue as defined in the poll (donativo, private, municipal). On my last two caminos (especially the last one, the Camino de Madrid), there was often only one choice of albergue. Looking back on the Madrid now, I think I stayed in all three types but I wasn't thinking about that at the time. If there's more than one choice, I pick the one that sounds the nicest, has the best facilities etc. I don't say, 'Well, this one's donativo and I prefer municipal so I'm not choosing it.'

I cant vote either, there are 5 for me as well. No I couldnt pick two. The problem with this as a poll is that the accommodation is always dictated by the size and facilities of a town, and when you get there. I don't set out looking a specific type of accommodation, it just happens along the Way.
But I do try to stay in my favourites if they are available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm preference is parochials, but they're not even on the list.
I haven't heard of parochials. Can you describe more?

If a moderator sees this, please add it into the poll.

I just used the first thing that caught my eye, I would stand outside the building and listen to see if I could hear my bed calling, if not I would go to the next place. So I stayed in all sorts of places. I did not realize there was a difference between municipal , private or parochial alberges.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't heard of parochials. Can you describe more?
https://www.caminoguidebook.com/on-the-way/accommodation is a good summary. Do people actually care or even notice who owns an albergue, whether it’s the municipality or the parish?

A main decision factor for choosing accommodation is the price for one night and perhaps the option of eating in-house. Another main factor is whether the albergue bed will be in a dormitory or in a private room.

A parador is nothing else than a hotel belonging to a particular chain. Hostal/hostales, casa rurales and small hotels is basically the same for me although I am aware of the fact that they belong to different tourism categories and this may make a difference for a longer stay but for one night, who cares, I don’t.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question, but how can you tell which type of alburgue is which from the outside? Do they say the price/type on a sign outside?
I will be travelling on a budget, so will hopefully be staying in whichever is the cheapest. I would rather not have to walk into a place, ask the price and then have to walk away if its out of my price range......

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe a silly question, but how can you tell which type of alburgue is which from the outside? Do they say the price/type on a sign outside?
I will be travelling on a budget, so will hopefully be staying in whichever is the cheapest. I would rather not have to walk into a place, ask the price and then have to walk away if its out of my price range......

The best thing is to have a good guidebook or app that tells you the price/range. Also, if you start in Saint Jean Pied de Port they give you a free copy of a leaflet with all the albergues on the Camino Frances. And there is also https://www.gronze.com/ which states the prices also ... So, plenty of free information available ;-)

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum btw ;-)
SY

€60,-
I primarily use three types of albergues because where may choose to sleep at night may not afford all three options. I usually go by the following: Donativos first, Municipals and then private. But this order can change based on cleanliness location etc. Years ago I remember it was Saturday afternoon and a friend had told me about this great albergue she was going to stay at again. I told her I would meet her there after she told me at lunch. I got there first and there was a nightclub across the street with the entrance no more than 6 or 7 meters from the entrance to the albergue. They were unloading band equipment. Obviously a live show that night. I never went in. Found another albergue 4 or 5 blocks away. Went back left a note for my friend (in an envelope that the owner of my albergue gave me and told her what I saw and where I was staying. It wasn't a great albergue but it was clean and the bed was fine so it was a really, really good albergue in my eyes. She came and we both had a great sleep. I heard from those who stayed at the first albergue. Their experience was no so great that night. So who knows where you will stay and how you will choose.
As I said before I also have my favorites and their are so really great places to stay based on the owner and their services but it always come down to the people who are sharing the room with you that night.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wellllll....
Gee, it depends.
On the Frances, I do one thing, bit on less traveled caminos I do something else altogether. So I have way more than 2 answers.
So I voted as though it is a Frances-specific poll...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do not believe that anyone who has walked multiple Camino's can say they just used two options.

I recommend you downsize the options. The choices offered are a little too granular.

Donativo's could be included in the Municipal/Albergue category.
Paradores in the Hotels category ( there are not enough on any route to be a primary stop.)
Private homes, in most cases, would fall under private albergues and occasionally donativo.

Just my opinion.
Joe

why are you asking??
Because I feel it is interesting to see what kind of accommodation users on this forum prefers to use. Do others have the same thoughts as me? (It seems so).
I was going to check 6 of the choices, since I use them all, but only 2 choices were allowed. So, I didn't participate.
Choose the two you use most.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Because I feel it is interesting to see what kind of accommodation users on this forum prefers to use. Do others have the same thoughts as me? (It seems so).
Choose the two you use most.

I don't mind the polls! They get me thinking and sort out my priorities :D!

I stay where I stop walking.

That said, I like places where there is a shared meal, and I like places run by volunteers as they are kinder (over all) than those whose welcome is simply a job. (Although, that's not always true.) I like staying in old buildings, but am glad for any roof over my head. --

I especially like that people of all incomes and from all over the world end up sharing a meal and sharing a room and talking in the albergues.

I see you have walked part of the Francés? Maybe your question is more directed towards that path where I believe there is lot of choice, but forgive me if I am wrong.
In other less walked routes the choices of where I can lay my head at night and have a meal can be more limited. These past 2 or 3 years I am more directed by the path to walk and I usually find the experience and enjoyment of the walk outweighs the accommodation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back