• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which airport for the last 200km of the camino

Nicolaesse

Time of past OR future Camino
Currently planning to walk the camino this summer.
This summer I'd like to to the final part of the camino frances. As I'll have only 10-11 days to walk I think that I could walk the last 200 km.
Probably I should start from Ponferrada to Santiago, but I can't choose the best airport to land from my town (Venice).
Possibilities with a short fly and an affortable price are:
  • Porto
  • Santiago DC
  • Asturie
  • Madrid
Which is the best solutions with the best bus service?

For the return I would take the plane from Santiago to Venice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hole Nicolaesse and welcome to the Forum. Not totally familiar with flights out of Venice - have a look at what Alitalia or Iberia have in their range of flights. Madrid is probably going to offer more flexibility in the number of flights. From Madrid there are buses and trains to Leon or Astroga which should enable you to make Santiago in the 10-11 days you advise. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This summer I'd like to to the final part of the camino frances. As I'll have only 10-11 days to walk I think that I could walk the last 200 km.
Probably I should start from Ponferrada to Santiago, but I can't choose the best airport to land from my town (Venice).
Possibilities with a short fly and an affortable price are:
  • Porto
  • Santiago DC
  • Asturie
  • Madrid
Which is the best solutions with the best bus service?

For the return I would take the plane from Santiago to Venice.
If you fly into Madrid, the bus to Ponferrada goes right from the airport in Madrid...so no connections to worry about.

Madrid to Ponferrada by ALSA bus or Renfe train. Lots of buses and trains making schedules easy. Buses go from Estacion Sur.

Otherwise its ALSA bus or Renfe train from Santiago. You'd have to check but, at a guess, travel time from Santiago is longer (but not by much).

Asturias works with ALSA bus or Renfe train via Oviedo, Leon, and then to Ponferrada ... but the airline schedules to Asturias are limited. It might even work going from Asturias Airport to Lugo and then Lugo to Ponferrada.

Porto would only be viable if the cost of the ticket was significantly lower than the other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this leg a couple of years ago. Evening flight to Madrid then night train with a bed to Ponferrada leaving around 10.30pm getting me in at about 6.00am. Started walking straight from the station. You can book the train online, from memory is wasn't excessive.
Duncan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Madrid has best flights and buses, in my humble opinion.

A Coruna airport on north coast has regular buses to Madrid that go via Ponferrada.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back