• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which airport is more convenient from Finisterre - Santiago or ACoruna?

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
So if one (or two as it may be) were to leave Finisterre on a Saturday morning and truly do not care which Airport to fly from (nor routes, stopovers, layovers, etc.) - what is the least 'headache-producible' option? - take a bus to A Coruna or take a bus to Santiago?
looking for something like - dont have to get up at un-Godly hour (perhaps take a 9:00 am bus?) and ease of getting to the Airport once off the bus.

One thing I saw on one of previous posts (somewhat on topic) is that A Coruna is a much smaller airport so TSA time is practically NIL thus dont have to worry about 'extra' 3 hours - so that is defintely an appeal

thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Muxia- A Coruna is an easy bus trip. Fisterra- A Coruna would mean a change at Cee. Still do-able but logistics start to stretch. Then it just depends where you are aspiring to fly to. There are timetable links scattered about the forum but as Ivar posted the other day re the Lugo / Sarria buses there are change afoot in Galicia

@Tincatinker Basically I am going back to US and within reasons PHL, JFK, EWR BWI - any of these will do which is why as i mentioned at this point it matters little.
Hmmm... so based on your response I take it - might be easier to go to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can check each airport's Wikipedia page to see which airlines fly from them and to where.
Thanks @trecile but again that is not my concern.
If anything I did my homework and I can get to PHL, JFK or EWR (my 1st 3 preferences) from either
With a slight possibility that my wife may join me on a "post walk" which would be SdC-Finisterre after I complete my Pilgrimage... well... I know how she 'travels' and basically the least logistics and the later morning start - that better it winds to be (esp. for me ;))
So it a matter of 'comfort' so to speak on what is a better way for getting from point A (fixed - Finistere) to point B (currently floating and under consideration)

Heck - still a full 7 months away and who knows what may change by then...🤨

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
dont have to get up at un-Godly hour (perhaps take a 9:00 am bus?) and ease of getting to the Airport once off the bus.

One thing I saw on one of previous posts (somewhat on topic) is that A Coruna is a much smaller airport so TSA time is practically NIL thus dont have to worry about 'extra' 3 hours - so that is defintely an appeal
Go to Santiago. From memory, A Coruña is tiny and Santiago is small. Short distances, quick and easy to get in and out in both cases. Santiago has a bit more to offer as to how to while your time away but not much. There is no need for any 'extra' 3 hours. You will probably fly to Madrid in any case.

You could always just walk...
Uh.... I think you missed the part about my wife and "the comfort way she travels" 😇
I am actually gonna be more than surprised if she fully walks the SdC-Finisterre part, but hey...she said she was willing...

Seems I got 3 votes for Santiago.... and yes... it does looks like Madrid for a stopover (or even a layover - I think I might be able to squeeze in an extra day)

👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you can swing it time-wise, the train from SdC to Madrid after having visited Fisterra was the least hassle for us,and the most comfortable. The train has reasonable dining, ends up not taking that much longer (security lines at airports are avoided with the train), and you get some lovely scenery along the way. I’ve now done the train 3 times back to my destination airport for arrival at start. 3 different caminos... 3 different airports that I started out of after landing in the EU: Bordeaux, Madrid, Lisbon.
Bordeaux was a little tricky to get to SJPDP from on my first go because the train was out of service after some point and we had to switch to a bus. But my return to North America was easy: on train from SdC to Irun; then another from Hendaye to Bordeaux— which gave me a day of layover in a beautiful spot on the Bay of Biscay. SdC to LIsbon had an option for a very easy trip, but I took a week of holiday after that Camino so laid over just south of Coimbra. And the train from SdC to Madrid was a single trip, no changes of train, with lunch on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh.... I think you missed the part about my wife and "the comfort way she travels" 😇
I am actually gonna be more than surprised if she fully walks the SdC-Finisterre part, but hey...she said she was willing...

Hey, don't knock it, I've walked that route and it's ok... But honestly it's not that far and in the end you can always book a taxi if the buses don't suit.

On the other front, never been a wife, Scott always said I was the love of his life, and I was always comfortable to doss down on a park bench, under a bridge, or in a parador as long as he was there so she may surprise you.

Scott surprised me on his desire for our first Camino, as a guy who used to take the car to the corner dairy I was gob smacked when he anounced we should walk across Spain... Many trips later after criss crossing the Iberian peninsular, he sleeps with the fishes off Finistere, so give him a wave for me when you get there.

Okay, this was 2015 and we took a bus to A Corona from Muxia, not Finisterra but it had so many changes of buses I lost count. I was a bit stressed and I kept thinking about someone who didn't know any Spanish. The bus schedule had no indication of what was ahead.

The short story is that, in my opinion, you are probably better off going Finisterra to Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Why don't take the bus to SdC, than change to bus or train to Porto?.

Way bigger Airport, way more possibilities. And much cheaper, the flight back home should be ~400€ from SdC, the flight from Porto was 169€! That was a fast decision ;-)

The trip from SdC to Porto was a pleasant 3,5h ride via Pontevedra, Vigo and Brago (as long a I do remember it right) for 24€.

We all like to sleep in, I assume you will be staying in private lodging while walking to Finesterre. There is always an afternoon bus back to Santiago. A bus to the airport or night train to Madrid. Why not relax and find a flight to Newark anytime.(probably JFK)

So...again...based on the latest responses it seems to me that the majority of folks lean towards SdC;
regardless of what I decide to do from there (and I can see that the choices are quite many) I am convinced to go there 👍😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, this was 2015 and we took a bus to A Corona from Muxia, not Finisterra but it had so many changes of buses I lost count. I was a bit stressed and I kept thinking about someone who didn't know any Spanish. The bus schedule had no indication of what was ahead.

The short story is that, in my opinion, you are probably better off going Finisterra to Santiago.
Mine is even older: 2014. The early bus at 0800--the one you need to reserve in advance probably--is an express bus. The later bus, the one with spontaneous room, stops at every puddle and plaza all the way down the road and takes three times as long. A minor point of information. It's up to you and your sweetie whether the discomfort of getting out of bed and over to the bus stand early is worth the shorter bus ride.

Why don't take the bus to SdC, than change to bus or train to Porto?.

Way bigger Airport, way more possibilities. And much cheaper, the flight back home should be ~400€ from SdC, the flight from Porto was 169€! That was a fast decision ;-)

The trip from SdC to Porto was a pleasant 3,5h ride via Pontevedra, Vigo and Brago (as long a I do remember it right) for 24€.
Yes! Thank you! Terrific idea!! As I was reading these posts about Galician-centric airports, I kept thinking back that I took that same bus from Santiago, only on to Lisbon Ain pril 2019 for a flight the following day back to St. Louis. Why? Because I figured this departure from Lisbon, even overnight in a hotel, would provide me a "hint" of Portugal for a future Camino Portuguese. And, I had the time, so why not?

The bus departs from the familiar, cavernous Santiago bus station (BAR does a cheap and tasty breakfast .. sigh, the last Spanish coffee for this peregrine for another year ..) and three hours after departure, rolls up smack dab in front of the Porto airport!

Everything Roland writes is true the bus is clean, a handful of other North American pilgrims on board, sit on right side of bus for glimpses of ocean views. Portugal actually does feel, even from a bus seat, quite "different" than Spain. (It actually reminds me of parts of Venezuela but that's another story.) NOTE. Bring at least one Euro (E1) coin to use the toilet on the bus! One local woman did not have the money to use the toilet and went ballistic that the bus would "charge" for the bathroom convenience. She went into full on, soap opera rant at the bus driver for at least twenty minutes, a personal meltdown moment, yet, somehow, with remarkable restraint! Very glad this did not happen on a plane.

Lisbon Airport is overcrowded, in desperate need of extension, and airport staff shrug, sigh, know how this needs to happen soon as Portugal is in the throes of being "discovered", yet are entirely helpful and kind. I flew American R/T but I am definitely thinking to change carriers after watching Paul Lucas's YouTube channel "Wingin' It', that TAM, the national airline of Portugal, is a rather good option. His review of a flight from Lisbon to USA notes TAM fares always (and consistently, surprisingly) are lower than any other airlines on the highly lucrative cross-Atlantic route. For the purposes of his channel and commentary, Paul Lucas flew Business Class, which, he made clear, was courtesy of TAM as they wanted his honest review (two thumbs up) and had some great food and drink! So, Porto is top of my "return home" lists.

Now I can just must patiently await the moment when the green light is lit indicating "you may now proceed east across the Atlantic"!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
that TAM, the national airline of Portugal,
Just FYI - it's TAP, not TAM. 😊 I flew Porto-Lisbon-San Francisco with them in 2019. The flights were good.

In 2019 took the bus to Porto and spent a couple of wonderful days there. I chose a flight from Porto to San Francisco that had a loooong overnight layover in Lisbon, arriving in the late afternoon and departing around 10am. Although I was only in Lisbon for a few non-sleeping hours I enjoyed getting a taste of it.

Last edited:
I am actually gonna be more than surprised if she fully walks the SdC-Finisterre part, but hey...she said she was willing

The 2 days from Muxia to Finasterre would suit HRH
HRH could give you a few days start whilst you take 4 days from SDC .
HRH arrives and spend 2 days in the new Parador in Muxia.
Then
Divide the walk into 2 beautiful sightseeing days stopping at Lires in a wonderful pension.
Enjoy lunch @ Finasterre [you will arrive there early] and select the best time to depart , late afternoon or the next day.
Get the bus to Porto .........a wonderful place [our pick by a mile ] to spend a few days before going home.
All the transfers from A'Coruna and SDC make Porto a no brainer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just FYI - it's TAP, not TAM. 😊 I flew Porto-Lisbon-San Francisco with them in 2019. The flights were good.

In 2019 took the bus to Porto and spent a couple of wonderful days there. I chose a flight from Porto to San Francisco that had a loooong overnight layover in Lisbon, arriving in the late afternoon and departing around 10am. Although I was only in Lisbon for a few non-sleeping hours I enjoyed getting a taste of it.
Thank you for TAPping me on my Forum shoulder and advising that the Airline of Portugal is TAP. (not TAM)
! Hey, and and all Forum-based connections, amendments, and discrepancy-notations to any of my posts are welcome, welcome, welcome! Obrigado!

Not so familiar; the station has been or will soon be relocated to be near the train station if I have not been fooled by a recent post.
That's quite a relocation!

The current Jan 2021 fare from SdC to Porto varies from Flixbus $6.95 to $12.00 on Alsa. Bus not only drops off at airport (PORTO SA CARNEIRO), also center of town, for a couple of days to explore Porto's location on Duoro River and their proud recognition as a World Heritage site.

Google maps still lists that 20 minute walk to bus station at Plaza Camilo Diaz Balino.

Looking at train station on Google maps, I notice Kebab restaurants, a shoe store, the ever-enticing El Cortes Ingles, a Cuban-themed cafe, garages, furniture stores ... the life of the residents, the life of those just like us, back home.

Why it it when leaving Santiago to go home, that backpack which felt so comfortable on the last days approaching Santiago always feels so heavy when I am about to depart?

TAP used to fly LCG-LIS-JFK which was not super early. Lisbon is a good alternative to Madrid. If you don’t take the early flight out of SCQ you may miss the flights to your desired US entry points. Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get the bus to Porto .........a wonderful place [our pick by a mile ] to spend a few days before going home.
All the transfers from A'Coruna and SDC make Porto a no brainer.
I was very curious about that city and was very pleasantly surprised. That's one of the reasons I plan to walk the CP.

BC
Roland

Personal preference. I avoid. TAP at all costs. They may be cheaper but read their reviews. I was delayed 8hrs before takeoff. Plane was old, dirty and, service was poor. Only book it as part of a one ticket connecting flight if you must!

My homebase is EWR. United flies, round trip, non stop to MAD
no connecting flights from either of your departure cities. Advantageof UA, seats in tourist - Seat layout is 2seats together, not three-on the sides. American which also flies direct to MAD and offers good connections from SCQ thru Iberia, to JFK, (not as good to PHIL as I recall) but all these airlines have three seats abreast, something to think about this year, even with a vaccine. I am not keen on sitting next to a stranger for 7.5 - 9 hours on a plane to anywhere in 2021. SCQ TO MAD options such as Ryan airlines, 3 seats abreast, but you can buy a cheap extra seat.

Another option, Out of EWR, fly directly to MAD on UA In Madrid by around 10am. Returning fly SCQ To Dublin-on Aerlingus (separate fares) . Overnight near Dublin airport, (PM me if you want good accommodation and easy transport) next morning early flight UA has you in EWR by around 11:30 am. The flight from SCQ to DUB only flies around 2-3 times a week. Sometimes you can book it as one ticket rather than a hack fare. The EWR into MAD and Dublin to EWR would thus put you in two seats area for the longer trip. Aer Lingus, is a three-seater but I believe that you can buy the extra seat! Watch sky scanner and Kayak but book only with Airline, not 3rd party as 2021 travel could get complicated with Cov19.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back