• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which albergues do ye recommend to stay in these few towns?

keithrevenge

Just wondering which albergues people would recommend for me to stay in these towns in April and any other info on where to eat in the evenings if possible?1.Logrono.2 Najera.3 Santo Domingo.4 Belerado.5 St.juan.6 Burgos.7 Hornillos.8 Castrojerez.9 Fromista.10 Carrion.All help and info much appreciated.
Thanks
Keith from Ireland

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Keith,

Out of your entire list, I only stayed in two of the towns listed, so I can only comment this much...

I spent the night in Logrono and Burgos and in both instances, I can mostly recommend where NOT to stay :) Overall on the Camino, my albergues experience was incredible with the exception of these two cities...both have a variety of places to spend the night, including a major albergue that can hold up hundreds of pilgrims. After experiencing both smaller and larger ones, I definitely vote for the smaller, more authentic and warm hostels. On top of that, the hospitaleros in the main Logrono hostel weren't welcoming at all and treated some of the pilgrims very poorly. In Burgos, I didn't want to stay at the giagantic hostel, but since my friend already checked in, I joined her...some pilgrims had dirty sheets (including blood on it), there was a lot of noise, and the atmosphere wasn't pleasant. I think that's something to be expected when you cater to 400 pilgrims every day and night. It was then that I decided that from then on, I were to stay in smaller albergues only :)

I'm not sure if your stops are set but one of the best things about the Camino is discovering magical villages along the way and deciding to stay on a whim. Some of my best overnights were like that.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi, Keith,
I can add a few comments.

Logrono: I think the hospitaleros in Logrono are volunteers, which means they change regularly, and some are nice and some are grumpy. I've experienced both in Logrono, but the albergue itself is well maintained, the kitchen is ample and the baths are clean (at least they were when I went through)

Najera: I've only stayed in the big municipal one, it was years ago, and it wasn't well maintained, very crowded. It looks like there's a private one now. But, along the lines of what Michal suggested, there are nice small albergues in Ventosa (a few kms before Najera) and Azofra (a bit bigger, and though it has a nice set-up of rooms for two, unless the standards of cleanliness have improved since I was there, it may not be very clean).

Santo Domingo: I have stayed in the parador in this town the two times I stayed here. But again, there are nice places a few kms on, the iconic Granon, for one.

Belorado: I've stayed both in the annex (in a steel shed, actually was very nice) and in the albergue itself, which I liked.

St. Juan: I almost stayed here once, till I saw the black mold and felt the wet damp walls. I would not stay here unless they have renovated it. A few kms on in Ages, there are several very nice options. I particularly like the Pajar de Ages.

Burgos: I stay in a hotel/pension here to take a rest day and enjoy the city. I haven't been to the new albergue, just the old one on the edge of town, which I always kind of liked despite its many bad reviews.
I'll continue in another post. This one is getting long, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Keith,

For what it is worth my opinion :
San Juan : like Laurie said : mold and damp. Horrible place. Was so tired that I stayed there but would not recommend it to anyone!!
Burgos : big municipal near catedral : clean, comfortable and nice cubicles with four beds and overall splendid bathrooms.
Hornillos : damp and moldy again...cramped stye too. Not recommendable. Heard good things about casa rural in the same street.
Catrojeriz : private albergue Casa Nostra : such a nice owner, lots of space in the rooms, beautiful restored old house! One of the nicest places I stayed en route.
Fromista : I liked the municipal, clean. Lots of beds in one room but all in all good. Heard some bad stuff about the private albergue on the big road!
Carrion de los Condes : Sisters of Espiritu Santo ( behind centro de salud ). Nice , clean. Very friendly sisters, big courtyard, small kitchen, internet donativo, very clean bathrooms. And single beds in big rooms...space in abundance!!

Hornillos: Don't mean to sound like an ungrateful snob here, but the last time I was in this albergue I swore I would never sleep here again. I don't know if they have renovated it, but when I was there the mattresses felt like hammocks, it was dirty and there was nothing in the kitchen. IMO, definitely woth it to walk on to Hontanas, where there are both public and private albergue options. Or, some have mentioned some other albergues before Hornillos, and thus closer to Burgos.

Castrojerez: Lots of choices. I have stayed in three different albergues, one in an old house with a well-known hospitalero who wakes you up with gregorian chants (if he's still there); one private one with a not great bathroom situation but the rest is fine; and one municipal one, also fine. And there are some nice hotels, B&Bs, etc.

Fromista -- Municipal albergue is big but was fine when I was there about 3 years ago. There are also pensiones and a hotel. A few kms before Fromista, there are choices in Boadilla. The private one has a pool, lovely green space, serves good meals, and always gets rave reviews. (so if you were to change your stages a bit, you could stay in Hontanas and then Boadilla)

Carrion: Albergue in the convent right as you come into town is very nice -- clean crisp white sheets in rooms with two or three beds! there's also an option for bigger room with private bath.

I tend to agree with Michal in general -- small towns and small albergues are frequently the nicest alternative. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice,cant believe that people are so nice and helpful on here.Great forum and so greatful for all the trouble people have gone to just to answer my questions.Is there any places that i dont have down as stops that are really worth stopping in instead of the ones i have mapped out?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are in Nájera and you have the energy to walk 1 more hour, go to Azofra.
Paradise! 1 room = 2 beds
Free laundry machines
The only albergue where I left the last one.
You can see the albergue in http://vimeo.com/37684121 at 14'20"

Santo Domingo de la Calzada: Casa del Santo is very nice but they put too much beds in each room. In Cisterciense you can't leave before 7:00

Burgos: Municipal: This is an alberue with several floors, I think it was 5 or 6. They start filling floor by floor. The first floors have more comfort: more place to move and private cupboard.

St-Juan de Ortego. 1 hour more walk: Atapuerca. Albergue Peregrino: rooms with 6 peregrinos. Every bed has an outlet. Nice reception.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This must have been devine intervention Kieth as almost all of your choices can be replaced with better options.........at least , this is only my opinion. :wink:
I do notice that I am echoing most of what has already been said.
Logrono - Has many interesting facets and is well worth a visit ..I have also felt as if the Albergue was a tad military.
Najera - a large overcrowded 'barn' that most people have taken a bus to get to ....... walk a few miles more to Azorfra where there is a new Albergue that sleeps only two persons to a compartment.
Santo Domingo - cannot Compare with the ledgendry Granon.
Beldorado - where all is suposed to be 'donative' ......... Tosantos is another gem which is only a short walk further , very similar to Granon with the comunal diner in the evening.
Burgos - it is such a long walk through the city that this may be your best option .Very large and with little charm....however , there are washing and drying machines and it is right next to the Cathederal.
St jaun - there are 3 Albergues at Ages , even the municipal Albergue is better and has an abundance of accomodation.
Hornillos - San Bol has rustic charm and Hontanas has 3 Albergues ........the 2 private ones are your best bet........ Good grub to be had in this small town.
Castrojeriz - Jup , nice Albergues and some fine Bars that serve really good food.
Fromista - The private Albergue at Boadilla del Camino serves the best Cothido in the World.
Carrion - Must say , the convent is a great experience.
OKAY , that was a little bit 'touristy' , I constantly remind myself that I am a Pilgim and should be Happy with any accomodation. :wink: :oops:

One should never say disparaging words concerning the Camino so will keep it positive-Logrono big and barn like but semi cubicles help it is clean and pleasant; Najera, keep on walking; San Juan keep on walking Ages just beyond is wonderful; Fromista stop just before in Boadila at En El Camino a family run albergue with wonderful wonderful people there:) ; Carrion St Clara has many people packed into tiny rooms, Santa Maria the evening dinner and blessing by the nuns is heartwarming, Espiritu Santo large rooms and individual beds nobody above or below there and no banging your head!!! joy;

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Keith,

Here are my votes:

Logrono: I actually enjoyed staying in the municipal and have stayed there twice. As someone else said, it just depends on the hospitaleros.

Santo Domingo: The new municipal albergue is wonderful!

Burgos: I loved Emaus

HORNILLOS: I will never stay here again! BEDBUG HEAVEN and filthy! I feel a little sorry for the priest there. I think he's overwhelmed. It's too bad someone in authority isn't interested in doing something to improve the conditions of that place.

Castrojerez: I walked on to San Anton, which was fantastic!

Thanks
Keith from Ireland[/quote]

This is my list:
Logrono - municipal I liked it.
Santo Domingo - municipal great.
Belorado - Albergue A Santiago great with a little pool. Restaurant.
Burgos - Casa del Cubo my favourite!!!
Hornillos - no more.
Castrojeriz - Casa Nostra OK.
Fromista - municipal great.
Carrion - Hostal Santiago great.

Thanks again everybody,its just nice to know where to avoid and where not to miss.I know at the end of a day of long hours of walking getting a bed is all u really want but it is nice to stay somewhere nice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hornillos : The albergue isnt the most modern but (at least in my opinion) not as bad as most people make it sound. I've had a good nights sleep and appreciated the books they had in the common room. Hornillos is one of my favourite places on the camino due to its lovely plaza major and the best peregrino menu in this part of the camino.

Carrion de los Condes : We stayed in the municipal albergue which is decent. But the highlight was a spanish nun having a sing along with in the evening. I believe its a daiy or at least weekly thing. One of my camino highlights!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back