• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which alburgues will be open around new year including new years day?

Starsky

Time of past OR future Camino
15 July 2013
I would like to know if there will be any alburgues open new years ( between Pamplona and logorono)day as. I hope to fly out new years day for a couple of days walking . A great way to bring in the new year...
Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
this is always a burning question around the holidays. Most of the albergues listed in guidebooks will tell you they are open all year, but don't believe it. If enough pilgrims don't show up by a certain hour, often the innkeeper will just shut down and go home. (and even when enough pilgs are there to open, the availability of heat is sometimes questionable!) Best bet is to call or email ahead and reserve, if you can.

Also, if you get into town and find the albergue closed, and you know it is supposed to be open, ask around for the person with the key. They have little reason to hang out there when chances are no one's showing up -- but they will be glad to make you welcome if you speak up.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starsky,

I heartily agree with what Rebekah wrote; always ask!

To start your route from Pamplona to Logrono here are 2 albergues known/advertised to be always open; you might email them to be sure. I have stayed at both many times. In Cizur Menor just west of Pamplona the Albergue Roncal only closes for the month of November. Here is their web. Run by Maribel Roncal her email is maribelroncal@jacobeo.net. In Puente la Reina the albergue de los Padres Reparadores is open every day. Their email is reparadoreseconomo.puente@esic.es

As for keeping warm in a cold interior space never choose a bunk that raises against an exterior, often uninsulated wall. As for blankets even when none are visible always ask the hospitalero. If there are blankets make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding one blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath your sleeping bag to block the cold air from rising. Finally wear a wooly hat to bed!

Stay warm and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back