• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which app and why?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have got OsmAnd with OpenStreetMap-Maps.
OsmAnd is free (for downloading the maps of Spain, not for unlimited map-downloads) and was recommended here in the forum.
I only want to find my way... for this should work every app.
But OsmAnd has more features:
https://osmand.net/features

Open Street Maps can vary in map quality (it is like Wikipedia for maps)... I have not tried it in Spain because my first Camino should start in July but it should be okay.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
maps.me - due to reputation for reliability and accuracy plus detail. Works without wifi or cellular data but I think most of those other choices do also.
Can add The Trail or Camino Route to maps.me using this site: caminodesantiago.nl Click top right for Britsh flag which translates the page to english. Look on left margin of next page for box to choose english on all other pages. Store the "route" file on your phone, not the cloud so you always have it in the same way you always have an operational maps.me

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get my maps from Stanfords of London and my general direction from a compass or the sun / stars when visible.
And, yes, I have used various map.apps and gps tracks and I've found most of them disappointing (to put it politely). Having once, and only once, followed a GPS track put up by someone who could obviously neither read a map or a landscape I prefer to trust my own judgement, or just follow the yellow arrows.
My Ultra-marathon running, IT savvy, son tells me that Maps.me is 'cool'. What would I know?

I have used Oziexplorer for navigation for some time.Tracks from RidewithGPS, maps from the Spanish maps site - download Tif files (http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal) Maps live on screen, tracks show up as an overlay. Oziexplorer shows the map and a direction arrow. Rather complicated but the result shows on 1:50,000 maps offline. Lots of fun setting out all out. Need an extended battery, only works on Android phones.

I get my maps from Stanfords of London and my general direction from a compass or the sun / stars when visible.
And, yes, I have used various map.apps and gps tracks and I've found most of them disappointing (to put it politely). Having once, and only once, followed a GPS track put up by someone who could obviously neither read a map or a landscape I prefer to trust my own judgement, or just follow the yellow arrows.
My Ultra-marathon running, IT savvy, son tells me that Maps.me is 'cool'. What would I know?

I think the OP is doing Prague to Geneva this year. That's a lot of maps he would need. Not sure how good the way markings are on that route either. Now the Frances, that's a different matter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having once, and only once, followed a GPS track put up by someone who could obviously neither read a map or a landscape I prefer to trust my own judgement, or just follow the yellow arrows.

When I am walking in very unfamiliar territory - such as in Japan a few weeks ago - offline mapping and a gps track are quite useful things to have as an insurance policy and confidence boost or to give a quick overview of what might be up ahead. Paper maps and guidebooks are always my preference though. Been to Stanfords a few times and "kid in a sweet shop" doesn't even begin to describe the feeling :) Marvellous place! And if either the gps or the guidebook seems to be directing me through six feet of water or over a cliff I feel free to ignore them and choose my own path :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.