• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which App?

Salomon de Jager

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I'm getting ready to start an Autumn Camino and want to download a route app on my phone. I see a lot of different ones in the App Store. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like Maps.me. Only thing is that you have to convert GPX files to KLM for Maps.me to accept them. Simple enough though, plenty of online converters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend the Wise Pilgrim app, with the companion (and free) Wisely mapping app. The original app used real-time GPS and Google Maps Satellite view for accurate positioning. However, it used a huge amount of data and battery.

The author developed Wisely apps. This companion app replaces the map I the original with a one-time downloaded map, with topography. It uses the built-in GPRS ‘ping’ capability in all smart phones to place you on the downloaded map and route.

Just keep the blue dot (you) on the red line (the route). Easy peasy!

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
{Edit: Both apps mentioned below are general navigation apps with nothing specific for walking the caminos.}

OSMand is similar to maps.me. They both get their data from Online Street Maps and both will show trails. You can download maps on both to be able to navigate offline. I like the interface on the maps.me app better but I prefer the display of OSM+. OSM has a nice feature where you can optionally download Wikipedia information so as you walk you may see a W symbol on the map (for example for a church or historical site) and if you select the symbol the text of the article for that location is brought up.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I like the Buen Camino app. It has everything that you need, and is well integrated and easy to use. It works off line, and is updated frequently with information on new albergues and albergue closings. The website is in Spanish, but the app will be in the language of your choice. https://www.editorialbuencamino.com/app-del-camino-de-santiago/

I've never used a 'proper' mapping app, and never felt the need. It's really quite hard to get lost and it's more important to have up to date info on accomodation. I download the pages of Gronze in Chrome.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We used the Camino Pilgrim app on Android. Between it and the albergue list from the pilgrim’s office in St Jean, we were in good shape. Not great for gps and mapping, but good distance and albergue info. Also a nice planning tool.

I'm getting ready to start an Autumn Camino and want to download a route app on my phone. I see a lot of different ones in the App Store. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Definately get the TrekRight app specific to the Camino Frances. I used this exclusively on my camino recently. Great app with many features and it kept me from getting lost twice when i took wrong roads.

Ok, I am going to differ... You do not need an App. IF you are walking the Camino francés.
Really. Just follow the arrows. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I too used the camino pilgrim app because it lists the alburgues that have washer/dryer.

Ok, I am going to differ... You do not need an App. IF you are walking the Camino francés.
Really. Just follow the arrows. :)
I pretty much agree on the Frances. Though I do like using an app for albergue information since I don't carry a guidebook.
I found having a mapping app much more useful on the Norte, especially with so many alternate routes.

I recently completed the Camino Frances at the end of September and also extensively searched to identify the "best" app. This is what I selected for my Android phone:
Camino Companion - paid app, downloaded all the off line maps that were part of the app (only available on Android I believe)
TrailSmart - Only downloaded the free part. Didn't download the paid maps.
Walking Guide to the Camino by Gerald Kelly - downloaded as a Kindle Book - my logic for this was to save power on my phone and read up on the next day on my Kindle the night before. Also available as as app (Camino de Santiago Guide by CaminoGuide/ Gerald Kelly.
I was travelling with 2 friends and they downloaded the following on my recommendation:
Wise Pilgrim
TrailSmart
with the paid maps.

My assessment is as follows:
CaminoCompanion. Very happy with the app and downloaded (offline) maps. The actual app is split into 3 sections: Map, Guide, Elevation. Within each you section you can easily centre yourself on where you are. The Guide section only has basic information on places of interest and not all accomodation is listed
TrailSmart. Has a lot more information and appears to have all or almost all of the accomodation listed. When I was testing it at home I found it confusing and I couldn't find a quick way of skipping from an early stage to a late stage. On the Camino it was fine as you tend to use it by stage. One of its benefits is that you can ring or email directly out of the links in the app. My friend found the maps fine once he sorted out an initial problem
WisePilgrim. My other friend was very happy with it. Both the maps & basic guide worked well. Also has downloaded maps so you are not using data.
Walking Guide to the Camino/ Camino de Santiago Guide. Please note that this book/ app does not have a GPS mapping function, which is clearly stated by the author. There are maps in it but they are not for live navigation. What it does have is a lot more detailed information on history and sites that give more context to the walk/ pilgrimage. It has a good description of the path, good information on accommodation, including some recommendations (although not all accommodation is listed). My intention was to use it on my Kindle however I never used the Kindle on the Camino! I did use it extensively on my phone so if you choose to purchase it, get the app version. This has very recently been updated.
Other comments:
The mapping components of different apps have slight variations on the route. In sections some may have an alternative route listed while another may have no alternative. Sometimes what the app selects as the main way may be an alternative on another. None of this really matters!

My recommendation for apps is as follows:
CaminoCompanion/ Wise Pilgrim - purchase one of these for navigation & location/ basic information.
Camino de Santiago Guide - purchase this for more detailed information on history, points of information
TrailSmart - download free app. Gives more comprehensive information on accommodation which can be directly contacted from the app.
If you are a group, get a mix of apps

In addition, the Albergue list provided by the pilgrim office in St Jean Pied de Port is useful
We also had the John Brierley Camino de Santiago map booklet (not the full guide book). Useful to give an overview but not essential. Doesn't take up much room.

It is hard to get lost on the Camino Frances due to the arrows so an app or map isn't strictly necessary!
Due to inattention at one point we did do an unplanned diversion! One person headed off track and about 3 small groups followed her. We all met up at an intersection trying to work out which way to go as there were no arrows. Then we realised that none of us had seen an arrow for a while so looked at the various apps. While the diversion added a couple of km's it was through some beautiful country.

We had no issues with phone charging on the Camino Frances. As a backup I had a 10,000 mAh Power bank that I only used twice. My phone had a fairly large battery (Galaxy Note 8)

Thank you
I recently completed the Camino Frances at the end of September and also extensively searched to identify the "best" app. This is what I selected for my Android phone:
Camino Companion - paid app, downloaded all the off line maps that were part of the app (only available on Android I believe)
TrailSmart - Only downloaded the free part. Didn't download the paid maps.
Walking Guide to the Camino by Gerald Kelly - downloaded as a Kindle Book - my logic for this was to save power on my phone and read up on the next day on my Kindle the night before. Also available as as app (Camino de Santiago Guide by CaminoGuide/ Gerald Kelly.
I was travelling with 2 friends and they downloaded the following on my recommendation:
Wise Pilgrim
TrailSmart
with the paid maps.

My assessment is as follows:
CaminoCompanion. Very happy with the app and downloaded (offline) maps. The actual app is split into 3 sections: Map, Guide, Elevation. Within each you section you can easily centre yourself on where you are. The Guide section only has basic information on places of interest and not all accomodation is listed
TrailSmart. Has a lot more information and appears to have all or almost all of the accomodation listed. When I was testing it at home I found it confusing and I couldn't find a quick way of skipping from an early stage to a late stage. On the Camino it was fine as you tend to use it by stage. One of its benefits is that you can ring or email directly out of the links in the app. My friend found the maps fine once he sorted out an initial problem
WisePilgrim. My other friend was very happy with it. Both the maps & basic guide worked well. Also has downloaded maps so you are not using data.
Walking Guide to the Camino/ Camino de Santiago Guide. Please note that this book/ app does not have a GPS mapping function, which is clearly stated by the author. There are maps in it but they are not for live navigation. What it does have is a lot more detailed information on history and sites that give more context to the walk/ pilgrimage. It has a good description of the path, good information on accommodation, including some recommendations (although not all accommodation is listed). My intention was to use it on my Kindle however I never used the Kindle on the Camino! I did use it extensively on my phone so if you choose to purchase it, get the app version. This has very recently been updated.
Other comments:
The mapping components of different apps have slight variations on the route. In sections some may have an alternative route listed while another may have no alternative. Sometimes what the app selects as the main way may be an alternative on another. None of this really matters!

My recommendation for apps is as follows:
CaminoCompanion/ Wise Pilgrim - purchase one of these for navigation & location/ basic information.
Camino de Santiago Guide - purchase this for more detailed information on history, points of information
TrailSmart - download free app. Gives more comprehensive information on accommodation which can be directly contacted from the app.
If you are a group, get a mix of apps

In addition, the Albergue list provided by the pilgrim office in St Jean Pied de Port is useful
We also had the John Brierley Camino de Santiago map booklet (not the full guide book). Useful to give an overview but not essential. Doesn't take up much room.

It is hard to get lost on the Camino Frances due to the arrows so an app or map isn't strictly necessary!
Due to inattention at one point we did do an unplanned diversion! One person headed off track and about 3 small groups followed her. We all met up at an intersection trying to work out which way to go as there were no arrows. Then we realised that none of us had seen an arrow for a while so looked at the various apps. While the diversion added a couple of km's it was through some beautiful country.

We had no issues with phone charging on the Camino Frances. As a backup I had a 10,000 mAh Power bank that I only used twice. My phone had a fairly large battery (Galaxy Note 8)

Dear David,

Thank you for your complete assessment. After reading this, I have downloaded (bought) the Wise Pilgrim App and I have been going through all of its functions. If anything, I am now even more excited to start my journey.

Thank you again,

Lomon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.