• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which are the recommended,"not to miss" albergues?

BevBeevers

Bevbee
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept. 2014
I would love to glean any information on albergues along the Francés.. ones with special "encanto" for whatever reason. Kind hospitaleros, character, historic buildings, singing nuns etc... any interesting stories, recommendations? Camino days are just around the corner!! Thank you.. Bevbee..Xxx

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Orisson, just a half day upward from SJPP. A relatively short, strenuous hike to a refuge with fantastic views, cold cerveza, clean rooms and a pilgrim supper to die for. Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. Reb, Paddy and the dogs are friendly, great hosts, though I have heard of a pilgrim that was bitten. Now REB, biting the pilgrims isn't good. While you are there, pick up a signed copy of Rebekah Scott's novel The Moorish Whore.

Orisson, just a half day upward from SJPP. A relatively short, strenuous hike to a refuge with fantastic views, cold cerveza, clean rooms and a pilgrim supper to die for. Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. Reb, Paddy and the dogs are friendly, great hosts, though I have heard of a pilgrim that was bitten. Now REB, biting the pilgrims isn't good. While you are there, pick up a signed copy of Rebekah Scott's novel The Moorish Whore.
Heard rave reviews of Orisson, unfortunately it was fully booked, e.mailed for a reservation 2 months before my departure date, not soon enough it would seem... a popular albergue indeed.. Thanks Arn..Xxx

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved the hostel in Rabanal that's run by the English Confraternity. It's called Guacelmo, and the atmosphere is very cozy and open, the grounds are beautiful, and the hospitaleros take good care of it. They even serve you tea mid-day, and then put out jam and butter for breakfast. It was lovely.

About 18 kms after Villafranca del Bierzo, Albergue Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan should be on your list, a great communal dinner and breakfast and a nice surprise in the morning. ;)

Just before Fromista, in Boadilla is En el Camino, family run everybody from Gramps to the grandkids, communal dinner, garden, and personal attention. I asked to do my laundry there, they took it, I found it washed, dried and folded by my bed before suppertime! Wonderful people. The entrance is just as you come into the village on the left or go on up to the church and from the cross come on in.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you search a bit this Forum, Bev, you will find a very long and complete discussion regarding the favourite Albergues. Everyone had their say and it's very interesting reading.
I would say all the Parroquial albergues ( which are usually asking for a donation instead of a set amount. This doesn't mean that you don't pay anything. In fact, I think one should donate at least as much as you would pay in a private albergue).
Plus La casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos, la Casa mágica in Villatuerta, Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja, plus the other 3 mentioned above. However there are loads and loads of good Albergues and only a few, where I would prefer not to go again! Anne

Bev, go to Camino Frances and go to the first section where there are three headings. Go to the 2nd heading Albergues...... And you will find the first " stuck" item as the following. "What is the Albergue you would say not to miss". The comments run onto 4 pages. You will need a lot if time to read all the comments! Happy reading! Anne

If you search a bit this Forum, Bev, you will find a very long and complete discussion regarding the favourite Albergues. Everyone had their say and it's very interesting reading.
I would say all the Parroquial albergues ( which are usually asking for a donation instead of a set amount. This doesn't mean that you don't pay anything. In fact, I think one should donate at least as much as you would pay in a private albergue).
Plus La casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos, la Casa mágica in Villatuerta, Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja, plus the other 3 mentioned above. However there are loads and loads of good Albergues and only a few, where I would prefer not to go again! Anne
Thank you annakappa.... I´m searching...and taking note..Xxx

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bev, go to Camino Frances and go to the first section where there are three headings. Go to the 2nd heading Albergues...... And you will find the first " stuck" item as the following. "What is the Albergue you would say not to miss". The comments run onto 4 pages. You will need a lot if time to read all the comments! Happy reading! Anne
Oooooh thanks again.. cup of tea and settled in for a good read...Xxx

Just before Fromista, in Boadilla is En el Camino, family run everybody from Gramps to the grandkids, communal dinner, garden, and personal attention. I asked to do my laundry there, they took it, I found it washed, dried and folded by my bed before suppertime! Wonderful people. The entrance is just as you come into the village on the left or go on up to the church and from the cross come on in.
Thank you scruffy1...made a note, sounds like a not to miss albergue, family run and communal dinner. lovely...
Are you walking in Sept.?

Shalom BevBeevers and Greetings from Jerusalem!
I wouldn't dream of walking in September, I love the spring. Living in a desert country our Spring lasts about 17 days and ends usually with a massive dust storm. Easter in Spain is the time I love the best, cool weather, flowers everywhere on the mountains and in the towns and villages, vineyards sprouting, celebrations and processions for the holiday, and no dust!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Bev, I walked the complete camino from SJPDP in May this year. As Anne above said most albergues are good, the albergue that is number one for me is Albergue Santa Brigida in Hontannas. It was spotlessly
clean,samll, not crammed, spacious shower/changing rooms, great evening meal and friendly hosts. The others mentioned above in Boadilla(El Camino), Rabanal Del Camino (Gaulcelmo), Ruitelán(Pequeno Potala),
are also good with friendly hosts. I would also recommend Albergue Ultreia in Portomarin close to Church,claen, small, family run, friendly. Good luck on the camino.

Hi Bev, I walked the complete camino from SJPDP in May this year. As Anne above said most albergues are good, the albergue that is number one for me is Albergue Santa Brigida in Hontannas. It was spotlessly
clean,samll, not crammed, spacious shower/changing rooms, great evening meal and friendly hosts. The others mentioned above in Boadilla(El Camino), Rabanal Del Camino (Gaulcelmo), Ruitelán(Pequeno Potala),
are also good with friendly hosts. I would also recommend Albergue Ultreia in Portomarin close to Church,claen, small, family run, friendly. Good luck on the camino.
Thank you irishwalker.. all the albergues are being noted in the margins of my Camino guide.. they sound the business..
Muchas gracias de nuevo..Bev Xxx

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I´ve been on this thread for hours........ very informative... thanks again!!!!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to glean any information on albergues along the Francés.. ones with special "encanto" for whatever reason. Kind hospitaleros, character, historic buildings, singing nuns etc... any interesting stories, recommendations? Camino days are just around the corner!! Thank you.. Bevbee..Xxx
One of the guides you can download for free on this site is "a selection of favorite albergues on the camino frances". Practically everyone of the albergues mentioned so far has been described in this little booklet.
Ton

One of the guides you can download for free on this site is "a selection of favorite albergues on the camino frances". Practically everyone of the albergues mentioned so far has been described in this little booklet.
Ton
I know this is a very old thread, just wondering if this list of favourite Albergues along Camino Frances is still available - an updated one that is. :)
I am totally useless at searching for things or just generally navigating my way around the forum pages.
I have dozens of 'notes' jotted down whenever I read a rave review of some accommodation, would like to get them into some semblance of along the way order, just as suggestions along the way.
Have pretty much decided not to take a guide book with me since having a good look at the Wisely+ app, so can't highlight places in the guidebook, may need to take a list. Hope this makes sense.

I know this is a very old thread, just wondering if this list of favourite Albergues along Camino Frances is still available - an updated one that is. :)
I am totally useless at searching for things or just generally navigating my way around the forum pages.
I have dozens of 'notes' jotted down whenever I read a rave review of some accommodation, would like to get them into some semblance of along the way order, just as suggestions along the way.
Have pretty much decided not to take a guide book with me since having a good look at the Wisely+ app, so can't highlight places in the guidebook, may need to take a list. Hope this makes sense.
Still available and fairly updated I think. It's in the resources section.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here you go, from the Resources section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...favorite-albergues-on-the-camino-francés.140/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back