• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which backpack... to buy in Europe (France)?

jimmy_88

Time of past OR future Camino
would like to go on camino del norte!
Hi all,

I am leaving for Camino Frances in 15 days and it's time to buy a good 30L backpack for the trip. I see that most of you guys are from the US, so a lot of recommendations are about items sold there. I am living in France and I spent the last couple of days trying out a few different backpacks at Decathlon, but I liked none.

Is there any particular backpack you would recommend me? The ones at Decathlon weren't so comfortable on the back, especially those with the AirFlow feature. Whatever wasn't AirFlow, was really basic (but cheap!).

Is there anything I could buy here at, let's say, no more than 60-70 euros?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you thought everybody else was from the US, why ask them about things you can buy in France ...? Surely France has other sports shops than Decathlon, so go to a different one. Small or independent, whatever, try on what they have and get to know the things you don't like (like AirFlow back systems) as well as what you do like. If you do not live near a lot of other shops, order from Amazon, Osprey online, Bergzeit etc as long as you can return items for free. I know lots of European makes that you would find in France, as well as US brands. You left it a bit late but have a go! If you find one you like you can find it even cheaper online if you have the time.

(If all else fails try the Osprey Talon 33 and pack as little as you can.) Buen Camino!

Deuter is a German brand of pack, Millet is French. You should be able to find both locally, and in a size to suit your needs. Both are excellent quality.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Get a salomon pack and a 100percent silk liner.

You do not mention your height.

The fit is important, straps that bite are terrible.

Jack Wolfskin is a German brand of pack, I doubt you'll find one unless it is on sale for under €70.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

I am leaving for Camino Frances in 15 days and it's time to buy a good 30L backpack for the trip. I see that most of you guys are from the US, so a lot of recommendations are about items sold there. I am living in France and I spent the last couple of days trying out a few different backpacks at Decathlon, but I liked none.

Is there any particular backpack you would recommend me? The ones at Decathlon weren't so comfortable on the back, especially those with the AirFlow feature. Whatever wasn't AirFlow, was really basic (but cheap!).

Is there anything I could buy here at, let's say, no more than 60-70 euros?

Thanks!
I doubt most of us 'guys' are from the U.S. A gal from Canada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's more important to buy a backpack which fits well and feels good when loaded with a weight equivalent to what you'll be carrying, and to have a knowledgeable clerk show you the correct procedures for adjusting the various straps each time you put it on. Any good sporting shop anywhere in the world can do that. You'll get tons of advice from people here on this forum, but remember that advice is based on what worked for that particular person. Backpacks and footwear should always be selected on the basis of your personal fit and feel, not someone else's.

OK guys! I'll pay a visit to a few small shops in the area and I'll see what they have. I'm just afraid they've got super expensive stuff.

In meantime, if you all didn't get offended by a harmless comment I made in passing, it would be nice too. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if you all didn't get offended by a harmless comment I made in passing, it would be nice too.
No offense at all. I probably shouldn't have said anything since you were obviously just tossing out an innocent phrase. But I thought since you are a new member I would point out that your initial impression might be wrong. I don't know the statistics, but the forum members are a real international group, and that is part of the great value.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you have luck with the backpack search. Let us know - we are always interested!

I probably shouldn't have said anything since you were obviously just tossing out an innocent phrase.
I think it is perfectly acceptable to draw attention to the stereotyping implied by the remark in the OP. Such stereotyping is rarely harmless, even when it might be inadvertent. It is a pity that the OP chose to defend such an indefensible comment.

OK guys! I'll pay a visit to a few small shops in the area and I'll see what they have. I'm just afraid they've got super expensive stuff.

In meantime, if you all didn't get offended by a harmless comment I made in passing, it would be nice too. ;)
Absolutely no offence taken Jimmy; just giving you a friendly nudge from Canada. I'm sure you'll find what you need. I do wish you Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think it is perfectly acceptable to draw attention to the stereotyping implied by the remark in the OP. Such stereotyping is rarely harmless, even when it might be inadvertent. It is a pity that the OP chose to defend such an indefensible comment.

When I first stumbled on this forum, researching equipment for the camino, especially boots/shoes and walking poles, I too gained the impression that most of the contributors were from N America. There were frequent references to REI, a shop I had never previously heard of, as well as links to US websites, and prices quoted in $. I too thought that most people here were Americans. It was not until later on, when I started reading other parts of the site, that I began to realise how widespread the readership of this site was.

So since Jimmy only joined the forum on Saturday, and is researching equipment, I quite understand his assumption that most are from the US. And to comment on this was relevant since he needed help with buying a pack in Europe.

Many of the subtle nuances that we convey when we communicate verbally are lost when we do so using the written word. Often rebukes come over as very heavy handed when that is not the intention. I know that I would have left the forum had a I received a reply such as this.

When I first stumbled on this forum, researching equipment for the camino, especially boots/shoes and walking poles, I too gained the impression that most of the contributors were from N America. There were frequent references to REI, a shop I had never previously heard of, as well as links to US websites, and prices quoted in $. I too thought that most people here were Americans. It was not until later on, when I started reading other parts of the site, that I began to realise how widespread the readership of this site was.

So since Jimmy only joined the forum on Saturday, and is researching equipment, I quite understand his assumption that most are from the US. And to comment on this was relevant since he needed help with buying a pack in Europe.

Many of the subtle nuances that we convey when we communicate verbally are lost when we do so using the written word. Often rebukes come over as very heavy handed when that is not the intention. I know that I would have left the forum had a I received a reply such as this.
I accept that my defence of @C clearly raising the issue might have been robust, but in the circumstances, @jimmy_88 suggesting that raising the issue was unnecessary because the remark was harmless needs to be challenged.

It appears to me this is like a road-worker digging a hole, and someone comes along and observes the work, and says to the road-worker, 'Do you know you're digging a hole it will be hard to get out of?' The road-worker doesn't stop and ask for a hand out of the hole, but instead starts digging even harder. At that the bystander shakes their head, and remarks 'Well, it is going to be even more difficult to get out now.' As the bystander is leaving they say 'Look, I'm sorry, its probably not a big issue anyhow.' The road-worker looks around and realises their predicament, and that a crowd has gathered to watch the spectacle. Again, rather than asking for a hand out of the hole, the road-worker shouts at the bystanders 'Hey, the problem is not that I am in a hole, but that the road is too high. I want all of you to help me by digging out the road so that it is level with the bottom of my hole. Then everything will be okay!'

So should we help the road-worker by digging out the road, or by letting them know they are in a hole?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love an analogy though, and hats off to @dougfitz for making me chuckle! @jimmy_88 ---do let us know if you can find a pack that suits your needs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The OP stated they had €60-70 to work with, I doubt you'll find an Aarn pack for that price unless it was really marked down.
Good comment, @Bajaracer. I didn't properly read the original text & (as a European) just zoomed in on the bit about the U.S.
Regards
Suzanne :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.