A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Live - Via de la Plata Which Bike advice?

Camino Badges

Jonnyfocus60

Camino(s) past & future
Ruta de la plata/Ruta Sanabres from Seville
I am looking to ride to The Compostella de Santiago in either late September or early October, leaving from Seville and riding to Zamora on the Ruta de la Plata then onto Santiago on the Sanabres. I am looking for advice on which bike to take. I have a Focus Izalco Pro Road bike and a Cube E bike. I could investigate an alternative of hiring a Mountain bike as I'll have panier bags. It seems to me the road bike isn't an option and the e bike will need regular recharging and is 25 kilos.

mjal

Camino(s) past & future
CF : stages 2008, 2017, 2018 ; completed.
We rode from Seville to Salamanca in May 2018 using "Camino Mountain Bikes" from BikeIberia which provided an excellent service, including Ortlieb panniers. We actually barely used the off-road capability as it was very pleasant to ride on the old N-630 which was almost traffic-free (except near the cities) due to the new motorway nearby.
We did meet a Frenchman on a "reverse Camino" heading to Seville on an e-bike which was uncharged when we met him. I could not establish if the bike had a fault or if he simply had problems in obtaining a charge but in any event he was not at all happy...

Buen Camino.

Jonnyfocus60

Camino(s) past & future
We rode from Seville to Salamanca in May 2018 using "Camino Mountain Bikes" from BikeIberia which provided an excellent service, including Ortlieb panniers. We actually barely used the off-road capability as it was very pleasant to ride on the old N-630 which was almost traffic-free (except near the cities) due to the new motorway nearby.
We did meet a Frenchman on a "reverse Camino" heading to Seville on an e-bike which was uncharged when we met him. I could not establish if the bike had a fault or if he simply had problems in obtaining a charge but in any event he was not at all happy...

Buen Camino.

Jonnyfocus60

Camino(s) past & future
Mjal thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated. It really feels like a mountain bike is the bike for the trip.

jony jony

Camino(s) past & future
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Jonnyfocus60.......If you want to ride the camino proper and not just ride on roads that run near to the camino then your E bike is not really an option ( too heavy and remember there are streams to cross in some places ). Your road bike wheels and tyres would most likely be damaged by the sometimes rocky /rutted tracks . In my opinion a mountain bike is the only option if you really want to ride on the true camino .
Triana Backpackers in Seville ( see here)...... https://www.trianahostel.com/en/ do an ideal package for riding the VdlP/ Sanabres routes , as the hire includes panniers , tools and bike can be left in Santiago when you have finished .
Which ever bike you choose , please fix a bell on it .....and use it when approaching walkers .

Regards.....John

Jonnyfocus60

Camino(s) past & future
Jonnyfocus60.......If you want to ride the camino proper and not just ride on roads that run near to the camino then your E bike is not really an option ( too heavy and remember there are streams to cross in some places ). Your road bike wheels and tyres would most likely be damaged by the sometimes rocky /rutted tracks . In my opinion a mountain bike is the only option if you really want to ride on the true camino .
Triana Backpackers in Seville ( see here)...... https://www.trianahostel.com/en/ do an ideal package for riding the VdlP/ Sanabres routes , as the hire includes panniers , tools and bike can be left in Santiago when you have finished .
Which ever bike you choose , please fix a bell on it .....and use it when approaching walkers .

Regards.....John

Regards.....John
John....this is fantastic information and many thanks for the link too.

Elaine Rau

Camino(s) past & future
May, 2016, Sarria to Santiago de Compestela
I am looking to ride to The Compostella de Santiago in either late September or early October, leaving from Seville and riding to Zamora on the Ruta de la Plata then onto Santiago on the Sanabres. I am looking for advice on which bike to take. I have a Focus Izalco Pro Road bike and a Cube E bike. I could investigate an alternative of hiring a Mountain bike as I'll have panier bags. It seems to me the road bike isn't an option and the e bike will need regular recharging and is 25 kilos.
My only suggestion is to bring some manners with you. Hiked for 9 days recently from SJPP and never experienced any from bikers who let you know they were coming only when their helmets hit our backpacks.

Elaine Rau

Camino(s) past & future
My only suggestion is to bring some manners with you. Hiked for 9 days recently from SJPP and never experienced any from bikers who let you know they were coming only when their helmets hit our backpacks.

Jonnyfocus60

Camino(s) past & future
Elaine I am a serious cyclist and adhere to being a thoughtful cyclist to others, be it drivers, cyclists and walkers, and appreciate you mentioning it. Sorry to hear of your experience from cyclists

Elaine Rau

Camino(s) past & future
We have never had complaints about the Camino....except this. Were so surprised to find so many bikers everyday we were there. We live in Grand Junction, CO with huge biking/hiking population, 10 miles from Fruita, big biking/hiking center, and one hour from Moab, Utah, so quite used to lots and lots of bikers. Colorado bikers have always had a "biking etiquette". Unfortunately, never saw it on the Camino but, of course, love everything else there! Hey, they're welcome to visit us in Colorado....great biking!!!!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%