• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which bike rental to choose?

annarosa

Hi!!
So I'm biking the Camino from SJPdP in September with my friend. We decided to rent as it would be a lot cheaper then trying to take our bikes with us (from Canada), and we don't really want to buy a bike out there and worry about transporting it. So we have narrowed the choice down to either http://www.cycling-rentals.com/ or http://bicigrino.com/en/
Has anyone rented with either of these companies? And if so what is your opinion on them? If anyone has a biking company that they thought was really good please let me know! I'm opened to any suggestions :) Thanks!!
Annarosa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All my caminos except the last one via Francigena in Italy were walking.

I have the same issue coming from Singapore and wanted to do it on a bicycle but worried about the logistics. One of the earlier threads on this subject (couldn't find it now) was a couple that bought budget bikes for the Megastore Decathlon (France, UK, Spain, Italy...) there got rid of it at the end.

I followed what they did and got the same bike in Italy.

http://www.decathlon.es/C-1020933-mtb_todos-los-modelos

The model is basically the btwin rockrider 5.0. At 129.95 Euro currently, I added a 20 Euro rear rack and with my own panniers and own bottle cage I paid just under 150 euro. The bike is a tad heavy (hi-ten steel) but took in all the trails and bumps like a champ, mostly. When I arrived in Rome, I didn't have time to sell it but exchange it for one of the night's stay at the b&b, so on paper it cost less than a hundred euro. The owner told me later he didn't sell it but if any guest would like to use the bicycle to see Rome, it is there.

A few note on this bike.

1. Cheap components but has it great reviews and manages to stay above the Supermarket bicycle variety.
2. No suspension (which I prefer) and from the frame it looks more like a touring bike than a mountain bike.
3. The mtb size wheels was ok on some of the trails and gravel but didn't do too well on sand (maybe due to the semi-slick tires).
4. If you plan to ride the camino mostly on the road and some trails then it's perfect. But if you intend to follow the walker's route all the way, some of the rougher trails might be a challenge). I have a stretch so narrow and fallen trees and after 2 times throwing the panniers over and followed by the bike I gave up and took the road. I don't think you will have that on the Camino Frances so it should be fine.
5. The riding position is slightly aggressive but if you keep to 70km or below a day it should be fine.

This is not for everyone on the bike. If you are used to good components and bikes back home, you may find it not up to your standard. For me I had the same bike in Singapore. It's my do everything bike so I am used to it, even the saddle. It's on option to consider as a 14 days rental in Spain will cost you almost double and a lot more in Italy.

Decathlon are in every major city in France, Spain and Italy. I figured for your case if you want to take up this option you would have to get it in Bayonne.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That's the link that got me to get the Decathlon bike. Thanks Margaret!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Annarosa
Make sure you rental contract includes theft insurance! There are several places, Santiago, alas, also one of them, several places along the way where bikes are considered fair game and while they usually prefer privately owned models, not all of those harvesting wheels can tell the difference. Leon can be problematic, Astorga, and even an albergue shed so lock your bike to something in the shed and make sure the door is locked behind you as well.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't even think of theft insurance!

Sorry annarosa but it does link for me ! Try it here raw -- http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buy-or-rent-a-bike.16729/
Thanks mspath! It worked this time, I think maybe it was because I was trying to access it through my phone :/ That link is great!

I figured for your case if you want to take up this option you would have to get it in Bayonne.
I looked back into buying a bike from Decathlon. Do you know if I can take the bike from Bayonne to St.Jean by train?

I looked back into buying a bike from Decathlon. Do you know if I can take the bike from Bayonne to St.Jean by train?

Normally yes you can, but NOT now. Buses are presently substituting for the trains due to a landslide on the tracks. It is assumed that these substitute buses will be in use until October. Read this thread for more info on the bikes and buses.

MM

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back