• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a Pilgrimage Primer Book

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Hi,

I wrote to introduce myself a couple of months ago. I'm aspiring to walk in September/October. I'm still not ready to jump in whole hog in my preparation and forum rabbit-holing (due to work commitments and my awareness of how rabbit-holey I will get), but I have taken one walk with the Bay Area Pilgrims just this last weekend, and I attended a Zoom chat a few weeks ago - so, little by little, it starts...

I'm about to buy the Vonhof blister book - thanks to those who recommended it - and want to get another. Seems to me that Brierly gets mixed reviews. If you had one "primer" type book you'd recommend, which would it be, and why? (I expect I'll buy more than one, but just one to start with right now.)

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I wrote to introduce myself a couple of months ago. I'm aspiring to walk in September/October. I'm still not ready to jump in whole hog in my preparation and forum rabbit-holing (due to work commitments and my awareness of how rabbit-holey I will get), but I have taken one walk with the Bay Area Pilgrims just this last weekend, and I attended a Zoom chat a few weeks ago - so, little by little, it starts...

I'm about to buy the Vonhof blister book - thanks to those who recommended it - and want to get another. Seems to me that Brierly gets mixed reviews. If you had one "primer" type book you'd recommend, which would it be, and why? (I expect I'll buy more than one, but just one to start with right now.)

Thanks!
I didn't read any books. I focused on researching and collecting my gear and training. I learned 99% of what I needed to know for a successful Camino right here on the forum.

If you had one "primer" type book you'd recommend
I'm not sure what you are looking for. I would not buy a book on blisters, how to train, or how to select equipment, etc. General preparations for the Camino do not require extensive book study. As @trecile says, you can get all that here on the forum.

For a guide book, I like the Brierley ones for the maps and basic information about the route, conveniently organized. But any of the commonly used guides or apps should be fine. Just get one and if you think you would prefer a different approach, at least you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for.

For detailed historical and cultural information, consider The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson. As a paper book it is bigger than you'll want to carry, and it is not useful as an up-to-date guide book, but it is the standard reference as "The Complete Cultural Handbook including art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saints' lives, flora and fauna."

It is not essential to go down every rabbit-hole that exists. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For detailed historical and cultural information, consider The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson. As a paper book it is bigger than you'll want to carry, and it is not useful as an up-to-date guide book, but it is the standard reference as "The Complete Cultural Handbook including art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saints' lives, flora and fauna.
It's also available on Kindle

It's really different for everyone.

If you think you 'should' read books to be prepared - you probably don't need to. The Frances can be walked with more or less no prior knowledge. The pilgrim's office will give you the most important information as well as an accommodation list and a list of sections, distances and elevation gain. It would be totally possible to walk with only that information. If you want some background info you can still buy a guide book in St. Jean and then read about the next day's sections each evening.

But If you 'want' to read, there's an endless ocean of books, blogs, forums, ect. Some will help with practical things like blisters or packing lists, and others will give you an idea about the 'feel' of the camino to get into the mood.

I am a 'book person' and read everything I could find about the Camino while preparing for my first one. Before I walked I was very unsure If I'd be able to do such a long long walk at all, and reading helped me realize that I might actually be able to do so. For me all the reading and watching videos ect. was already part of my first Camino.

Depending on what exactly you're looking for, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations here

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Thanks!
Michelle
I walked my first Camino without a guidebook, buying the little Michelin guide about 2 weeks in.
I wrote all sorts of notes, phone numbers etc in it and I have rebought a clean version for subsequent Caminos. It does have great maps.

However I did carry my own pack and stopped when I felt like it - just followed the yellow arrows.
It would help to have some kind of information if you want to prebook accommodation - a guidebook isnt the only answer - there are great websites as well, others prefer apps.

I prefer the guide ‘Camino the Santiago village to village ‘ over brierley . But obviously that’s my personal choice . You don’t need a guide but that book provided me with lots of pre fun . If you’re looking for just a fun book to read about the Camino I like ‘2 million steps’ . Enjoy your prep .

If you would like a gentle intro, Tim Moore's Spanish Steps (also published as Travels with my Donkey) may give you laughter, knowledge and inspiration. It tells of his real-life journey along the Camino, includes a potted account of the history and culture of the pilgrimage, and is a fun read. I consumed it and two more serious books about the Camino before my first, and I think I learned most from Spanish Steps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

Thanks!
Michelle
You mention the "Bay Area Pilgrims." Is there a NYC Area Pilgrims group?

I am a late comer to Ivar's forum, just joined last year. And yes, I have learned A LOT from all the readers' posts. But I don't want to miss anything on or near the Caminos. I read everything I can find about my next Camino -- and reminisce about past Caminos by continuing to reading about them. The website of The American Pilgrims of the Camino has a section on references and their online newsletter usually has one or more book reviews. I always carry one paper copy of a Camino guide -- with unnecessary pages removed by knife -- and many more in Kindle and ebooks. And lots of apps. These days you really need some guide -- paper or electronic -- with lists of albergues and their phone numbers. And, please learn even just a few Spanish and Basque phrases, and about these people and their customs and cultures before you go. If you want more specific references I will gladly list my favorites. For example, I prefer the Village to Village guide series mentioned above. Buen Camino

You mention the "Bay Area Pilgrims." Is there a NYC Area Pilgrims group?
Yes.
You can find yourocal chapter on the American Pilgrims on the Camino website.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Out of all the books I have read (many), the most fun and enlightening for new and aspiring peregrinos would be....'The Way - My Way' by Australian film producer, Bill Bennett. Really good read, humorous, insightful and authentic.

19280861-the-way-my-way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On a train to Pamplona I was shown a copy Brierley. It looked like it had everything I would need or want and I picked up a copy in SJPdP. It did not disappoint. It even fit in my shirt pocket (but it was a rather oversized pocket).
Do not buy the Kindle version to try to save weight. The text does not reflow when you zoom in or out. ie., if you try to zoom in to a readable size you will only see the left side of the page and will constantly be panning. It's almost unusable on the Kindle and completely unusable on the Kindle app on the phone.

Hi,

Thanks!

For me without doubt it would be Brierley but make sure you have the latest edition. The differenced may be small but they can be important. For example, on my third trip I wanted to stay at an alberque that I had used before. The up-to-date guide published the information but also warned it was up for sale. when I arrived, it was sold and locked up but i was able to quickly sort out an alternative.
Buen Camino
Vince

Do not buy the Kindle version to try to save weight. The text does not reflow when you zoom in or out. ie., if you try to zoom in to a readable size you will only see the left side of the page and will constantly be panning. It's almost unusable on the Kindle and completely unusable on the Kindle app on the phone.
Thanks for letting us know. I don't actually have the Kindle version of that book. I usually download a free Kindle sample before buying the entire book. I can then check it out to see how well it works on my devices.

Another newer entrant to Camino guide books that has good reviews is the Moon guide.

While on the Camino, I read The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, which is downloaded onto my iPadMini. Each evening I would read about the history and features of the towns I would be walking through the next day.
I use the lightweight and compact, green Michelin Camino de Santiago mapbook that shows a diagram of the distance between towns, the elevation, and the hostels on that section. On the facing page, there is a roadmap with the Camino marked in blue, which gives you a bigger picture of where you are walking. At the back of the mapbook, there are city maps of Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, and Santiago; and a good index. The last Michelin mapbook that I bought in Leon a couple years ago cost 7Euros.

While on the Camino, I read The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, which is downloaded onto my iPadMini. Each evening I would read about the history and features of the towns I would be walking through the next day.
I use the lightweight and compact, green Michelin Camino de Santiago mapbook that shows a diagram of the distance between towns, the elevation, and the hostels on that section. On the facing page, there is a roadmap with the Camino marked in blue, which gives you a bigger picture of where you are walking. At the back of the mapbook, there are city maps of Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, and Santiago; and a good index. The last Michelin mapbook that I bought in Leon a couple years ago cost 7Euros.

Also my favourite.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not sure what you are looking for. I would not buy a book on blisters, how to train, or how to select equipment, etc. General preparations for the Camino do not require extensive book study. As @trecile says, you can get all that here on the forum.

For a guide book, I like the Brierley ones for the maps and basic information about the route, conveniently organized. But any of the commonly used guides or apps should be fine. Just get one and if you think you would prefer a different approach, at least you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for.

For detailed historical and cultural information, consider The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson. As a paper book it is bigger than you'll want to carry, and it is not useful as an up-to-date guide book, but it is the standard reference as "The Complete Cultural Handbook including art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saints' lives, flora and fauna."

It is not essential to go down every rabbit-hole that exists. :)
C clearly: Thanks! This is very helpful. As for the rabbit-holes - I actually like them and look forward to them! I just need to "schedule" that time when I can really start to interact more.

It's really different for everyone.

If you think you 'should' read books to be prepared - you probably don't need to. The Frances can be walked with more or less no prior knowledge. The pilgrim's office will give you the most important information as well as an accommodation list and a list of sections, distances and elevation gain. It would be totally possible to walk with only that information. If you want some background info you can still buy a guide book in St. Jean and then read about the next day's sections each evening.

But If you 'want' to read, there's an endless ocean of books, blogs, forums, ect. Some will help with practical things like blisters or packing lists, and others will give you an idea about the 'feel' of the camino to get into the mood.

I am a 'book person' and read everything I could find about the Camino while preparing for my first one. Before I walked I was very unsure If I'd be able to do such a long long walk at all, and reading helped me realize that I might actually be able to do so. For me all the reading and watching videos ect. was already part of my first Camino.

Depending on what exactly you're looking for, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations here
I am like you, good_old_shoes. I'm a book person, and I love the exploration of a subject (I'm an English prof, for goodness sake!) - particularly in anticipation of traveling. Just kinda gets me in the mood, you know? I, too, have been enjoying some of the films I've watched. I wept throughout "I'll Push You." Do you have any others you'd recommend (other than "The Way," which I know)?

I learned 99% of what I needed to know for a successful Camino right here on the forum.
So true, @trecile! I did appreciate my Brierley guidebook though which I ordered months in advance because I used it to write notes in the margins of particular things I wanted to remember about each stage as I walked; things I learned from forum members.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer the guide ‘Camino the Santiago village to village ‘ over brierley . But obviously that’s my personal choice . You don’t need a guide but that book provided me with lots of pre fun . If you’re looking for just a fun book to read about the Camino I like ‘2 million steps’ . Enjoy your prep .
Thanks! I *do* love the prep!

I am a late comer to Ivar's forum, just joined last year. And yes, I have learned A LOT from all the readers' posts. But I don't want to miss anything on or near the Caminos. I read everything I can find about my next Camino -- and reminisce about past Caminos by continuing to reading about them. The website of The American Pilgrims of the Camino has a section on references and their online newsletter usually has one or more book reviews. I always carry one paper copy of a Camino guide -- with unnecessary pages removed by knife -- and many more in Kindle and ebooks. And lots of apps. These days you really need some guide -- paper or electronic -- with lists of albergues and their phone numbers. And, please learn even just a few Spanish and Basque phrases, and about these people and their customs and cultures before you go. If you want more specific references I will gladly list my favorites. For example, I prefer the Village to Village guide series mentioned above. Buen Camino
Thanks for the input! I will check out those other resources, and may indeed ask for more specific recs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you want a list of books about the Camino, you probably won't find a better one than @David Tallan 's bibliography. It is featured in the Resources section and mentioned in this thread.

Specific books are discussed in the Books About the Camino forum.
Thanks! Yes, I started with that list. It's amazing! And I also wanted a little more input about people's favorites, so this is all very helpful!

And some of them say they (and his space for notes) take up space. They are fillers to get his start page for each stage placed on a left hand page. You only carry extra ink, not extra paper.
I had the Brierley guidbook for the Frances and it had everything I needed as a newbie. I especially loved the simple, easy to follow visual maps. Some people give his spiritual notes a bad rap; easy to gloss over them if they are not your cup of tea...but it is a pilgrimage after all.
Thanks. That's what I was scared of! The "bad rap" part... but easy enough to overlook if it's not my cup of spirit. In any case, just bought the Brierly from Ivar's store!

Thanks for the tip!

Hi
For me without doubt it would be Brierley but make sure you have the latest edition. The differenced may be small but they can be important. For example, on my third trip I wanted to stay at an alberque that I had used before. The up-to-date guide published the information but also warned it was up for sale. when I arrived, it was sold and locked up but i was able to quickly sort out an alternative.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thanks for the intel!

Thanks for letting us know. I don't actually have the Kindle version of that book. I usually download a free Kindle sample before buying the entire book. I can then check it out to see how well it works on my devices.

Another newer entrant to Camino guide books that has good reviews is the Moon guide.

Thanks. I hadn't seen this one before. I very much liked Moon guides in the past, although admittedly it was probably 20 years and earlier...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the specificity! That index sounds excellent.

Thank you all so much for this input! I've looked up a lot of your recommendations, and have already purchased the Brierly from Ivar's store.

As for my preparations process: As good_old_shoes put it in their reply, I'm a book person, and starting to read in this way - with the paper, with a pencil in hand - getting a kind of overview, just puts me in the mood. But, of course, I'm going to continue read on this site, gathering your sage recommendations and bringing in slips of papers with me to REI as soon as I can!

But of course I'm going to continue read on this site, gathering your sage recommendations and bringing in slips of papers with me to REI as soon as I can!
Don't buy a new pack until you've gotten just about anything else. You want to make sure the rest of the stuff (including whatever you have for water) fits and, when full, the pack is comfortable.

I'm a book person
As a book person you may need a few books with you on the camino. Many people say they don’t have time to read on the camino, but I can’t go anywhere without a good book on hand.

They are heavy to carry so I downloaded Kindle to my smartphone and the most important reference books I downloaded are:

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, and
Buen Provecho! Spanish – English Dictionary of Gastronomic Terms.

The latter has been invaluable in restaurants with “weird” stuff on the menu and nobody speaks English.

On the CF I carry Brierley, or I make copies of his maps beforehand, and I write up my journal on the reverse sides.

I carry a paperback to read on the plane with me, and leave it at an albergue when finished for someone else to pick up.

If I need something to read along the way I just go into the Kindle store at anytime and download something, although I’ve always got at least 10 books on it waiting to be read 😃.

I prefer reading a hard copy, paper bound book, but on the camino Kindle on my smartphone works fine; just adjust the format size.

Since you asked, some favourites of mine (you might already know them, they're quite popular).

- "six ways to Santiago".
- Hank Leukart's youtube video "to the end of the world".
- Youtube video by Alexandra Liss "I would walk" (this one has good interviews with all kind of pilgrims, which can give you an idea what casual conversations with other pilgrims feel like).

For setting the mood, I really love this multi media documentary: https://www.michaelgeorgephoto.com/portrait-of-a-pilgrim
A beautiful mix of photos, written text, and audio. For me, this captures the "feel" of the camino very well.

I find recommending printed books a bit difficult. Tim Moore's book is certainly fun to read. A german favourite would be "I'm off then" (great conversation starter with German pilgrims 😉). While walking, I usually only read guide books. Poetry seems also fitting - internally reciting my favourite poems while walking. The rhythm of walking and poetry are a good combination.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks!
I don’t often post at present but happy to give you a few of my hard won ideas!
I loved Bill Bennett’s book - “The way my way”, and an older mate Noel Braun’s books, “The day was made for walking”…. You might have guessed by now, I’m an Aussie!
Key tips from me:
1. Get shoes or boots at least 1 to 1.5 size bigger as your feet will swell, if you are doing a longer walk (3 weeks plus)
2. The Brierley guide book is great and the full one has great info to read before and keep, the smaller version is great to carry and understand that each section fits a page so the distances on the map are correct but the scales change.
I write on every page on the trip and it becomes a great diary!
Get also the guides to Finisterrre and Muxia .. you will thank me.
3. For blister care my “expert” advice is put on Leucoplast tape right on the blister or the raw area and leave it on!…. It’s an old military trick we used and has helped many on the way.
4. stay in albergues as often as possible, the whole experience is about those you meet along the way.
5. The Camino will provide. Trust and be scared (we were).
6. Expect little and you will not be disappointed. “Tourists demand, pilgrims thank!”
Hope it helps a little.
Hope the Camino Frances again in Sep…
7. Start slowly and give yourself plenty of time - the Frances first third is for your body, the second third (Mesata) is for your mind and the last third is for your soul!
Bon Camino
Tony

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

Thanks!
Michelle
With today's selection of Apps and Websites, I am not sure that a book is even required. Sure the map component is handy to have but maps are downloadable. Besides a book is an extra weight to carry. Having said this, I would only carry a map or map component of a book. Brierly, Michelin and any other map booklet is fine. None are excellent maps but with street and trail signage and google maps, they are sufficient. These maps can be purchased and a digital version downloaded. Maybe I am old school but I like the paper version of these. The paper version has an advantage in that it can be easily be accessed anytime, anywhere - regardless of internet or cell reception and is a handy quick reference.

I strongly recommend that you do some trial hikes with your gear before your start journey. This is worth more than any books that you will find.

As for foot care, there are several websites available and many Youtube videos. I recommend these.

As for cultural, historical and areas of interest, websites are the best.

As for lodging, Google or other apps such as Airbnb are the best.

As for food, websites and reviews are convenient but whatever store, cafe or restaurant that you come across is sufficient.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks!
Michelle
For some comic relief I'd suggest 'What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim, by Jane Christmas...

With today's selection of Apps and Websites, I am not sure that a book is even required. Sure the map component is handy to have but maps are downloadable. Besides a book is an extra weight to carry. Having said this, I would only carry a map or map component of a book. Brierly, Michelin and any other map booklet is fine. None are excellent maps but with street and trail signage and google maps, they are sufficient. These maps can be purchased and a digital version downloaded. Maybe I am old school but I like the paper version of these. The paper version has an advantage in that it can be easily be accessed anytime, anywhere - regardless of internet or cell reception and is a handy quick reference.

I strongly recommend that you do some trial hikes with your gear before your start journey. This is worth more than any books that you will find.

As for foot care, there are several websites available and many Youtube videos. I recommend these.

As for cultural, historical and areas of interest, websites are the best.

As for lodging, Google or other apps such as Airbnb are the best.

As for food, websites and reviews are convenient but whatever store, cafe or restaurant that you come across is sufficient.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and details! I will definitely take only paper map and apps, and would never take a whole book (though I did take Let's Go Europe in th 1980s!). (Like you, I prefer paper maps - in fact, I just love looking at maps, period, whether I'm traveling or not!) Still, I love to read books in advance as part of my planning and getting in the mood. :)

I don’t often post at present but happy to give you a few of my hard won ideas!
I loved Bill Bennett’s book - “The way my way”, and an older mate Noel Braun’s books, “The day was made for walking”…. You might have guessed by now, I’m an Aussie!
Key tips from me:
1. Get shoes or boots at least 1 to 1.5 size bigger as your feet will swell, if you are doing a longer walk (3 weeks plus)
2. The Brierley guide book is great and the full one has great info to read before and keep, the smaller version is great to carry and understand that each section fits a page so the distances on the map are correct but the scales change.
I write on every page on the trip and it becomes a great diary!
Get also the guides to Finisterrre and Muxia .. you will thank me.
3. For blister care my “expert” advice is put on Leucoplast tape right on the blister or the raw area and leave it on!…. It’s an old military trick we used and has helped many on the way.
4. stay in albergues as often as possible, the whole experience is about those you meet along the way.
5. The Camino will provide. Trust and be scared (we were).
6. Expect little and you will not be disappointed. “Tourists demand, pilgrims thank!”
Hope it helps a little.
Hope the Camino Frances again in Sep…
7. Start slowly and give yourself plenty of time - the Frances first third is for your body, the second third (Mesata) is for your mind and the last third is for your soul!
Bon Camino
Tony
Thanks for the tips! I love your step 7... sounds like a maxim... Alas, I won't be able to do the whole Frances due to time constraints (job, family). Am considering starting in Leon... which is another thread I'll post at some point. Also, re point 4 - I'm going to need to predominantly stay in private rooms, but hope to do so at albergues, wherever possible. (It's not that I don't want to be social or need a higher luxury; just medical stuff.)

I hope to be going sometime starting in mid-September or early-October.

(though I did take Let's Go Europe in th 1980s!).
So did I! I still have my 1982 copy, all marked up with the recommendations of my fellow travelers who had recently been to the places I was going. I also had the 1988 edition of Let's Go Spain, Portugal and Morocco, which is where I think I first noted that the Camino de Santiago was still being followed, which inspired me then to try it myself.

When I was going to take my daughter to Europe in the summer of 2020, I got myself a current edition of Let's Go Europe but was shocked and saddened to note what a pale shadow it is of its former self.

So did I! I still have my 1982 copy, all marked up with the recommendations of my fellow travelers who had recently been to the places I was going. I also had the 1988 edition of Let's Go Spain, Portugal and Morocco, which is where I think I first noted that the Camino de Santiago was still being followed, which inspired me then to try it myself.

When I was going to take my daughter to Europe in the summer of 2020, I got myself a current edition of Let's Go Europe but was shocked and saddened to note what a pale shadow it is of its former self.
My first copy was also in 1982! My first trip to Europe. The book was so huge - like a brick! I also pored over the Eurail Map... In fact, I brought the same map with me on my next European trip two years later... Wish I still had it. At least I've managed to hold on to my map of New Mexico (and also a really sweet, quirky guidebook) from 30 years ago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a book person you may need a few books with you on the camino. Many people say they don’t have time to read on the camino, but I can’t go anywhere without a good book on hand.

They are heavy to carry so I downloaded Kindle to my smartphone and the most important reference books I downloaded are:

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, and
Buen Provecho! Spanish – English Dictionary of Gastronomic Terms.

The latter has been invaluable in restaurants with “weird” stuff on the menu and nobody speaks English.

On the CF I carry Brierley, or I make copies of his maps beforehand, and I write up my journal on the reverse sides.

I carry a paperback to read on the plane with me, and leave it at an albergue when finished for someone else to pick up.

If I need something to read along the way I just go into the Kindle store at anytime and download something, although I’ve always got at least 10 books on it waiting to be read 😃.

I prefer reading a hard copy, paper bound book, but on the camino Kindle on my smartphone works fine; just adjust the format size.
Thanks for the tips!
Since you asked, some favourites of mine (you might already know them, they're quite popular).

- "six ways to Santiago".
- Hank Leukart's youtube video "to the end of the world".
- Youtube video by Alexandra Liss "I would walk" (this one has good interviews with all kind of pilgrims, which can give you an idea what casual conversations with other pilgrims feel like).

For setting the mood, I really love this multi media documentary: https://www.michaelgeorgephoto.com/portrait-of-a-pilgrim
A beautiful mix of photos, written text, and audio. For me, this captures the "feel" of the camino very well.

I find recommending printed books a bit difficult. Tim Moore's book is certainly fun to read. A german favourite would be "I'm off then" (great conversation starter with German pilgrims 😉). While walking, I usually only read guide books. Poetry seems also fitting - internally reciting my favourite poems while walking. The rhythm of walking and poetry are a good combination.
I did watch "Six Ways to Santiago" a coulple of months ago - loved it. I really appreciated that we got to know them a bit, and walk with them a bit, hear their thoughts, and each was so different. I wish it had gone on even longer!

Thanks for turning me on to the Michael George project. How gorgeous!

“A Pilgrim’s Guide To The Camino de Santiago” by John Brierly is the book that most people carry. Usually it’s shortened to “The Brierly Book” or simply “Brierly”. It’s informative and useful. A lot of peregrinos follow it religiously, so you can use that to your advantage by planning slightly different stages if you want a less crowded experience.

If you haven’t watched “The Way” starring Martin Sheen, you should. It does a good job capturing the essence of a Camino.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back