• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which brand of shoe inserts did you use?

txpeah

Ultreia!
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015, CF 2018, Primitivo 2019, CF 2022
Hi all,

Just 10 days until I leave for my first Camino (Frances) and my training is going well. No major problems, but I feel like I need more arch support with my Salomon hiking shoes. Previewing the ones in stores leaves me a bit puzzled by how firm or stiff they all feel.

Did you use inserts and if so which brand? Would you recommend it others?

Thanks!
NP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used green superfeet on my first Camino, I'm currently using SOLES and actually like them better because they molded to my feet.

Hi NP,
I found the green Superfeet insoles to be too firm, then i switched to Sorbothane which were much more comfortable and very supportive. Now i use Dr Scholls massaging gel sports insoles and these are comfortable and provide adequate support. Hope this helps you decide!
Good luck for your 1st Camino
Buen Camino
Aidan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have used a variety of brands. Currently I replace the inner soles in my walking boots with orange Superfeet, and use an Orthoheel insert in shoes for a little extra heel support.

Hello nomadpeah,

I use Vasyli after years of experimenting. The first link below will give you some information you might find useful. The second link is where you can currently find their products at a competitive price. They are not the cheapest of their kind, however, I have found them to be perfect for my arch pain.

Having a look at the three-quarter length inserts as a starter might help.

In finishing try not to forget about seeking "expert medical advice" if you have time.

Buen Camino

http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/faq.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?tag=casaivar-21

Thanks for the recommendations! I have looked at Superfeet and Dr. Scholls, I will have to check out SOLES since I am asking this question a bit late.

Thanks everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there.
I SWEAR by my insoles bought at a store, THE WALKING COMPANY. Just bring in your shoes/socks and they have you walk/stand on a scanner.
The brand they sell is by Abeo. They run from $60-75 and there is a store in Dallas too!

Hi there.
I SWEAR by my insoles bought at a store, THE WALKING COMPANY. Just bring in your shoes/socks and they have you walk/stand on a scanner.
The brand they sell is by Abeo. They run from $60-75 and there is a store in Dallas too!
I will check them out!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Always a good idea if you have the time is to visit a podaiatrist many months and even a year before your Camino provided you have the time to sort out any issues. I have several ongoing problems with my feet and got custom orthotics to deal with them a couple years ago ... I ordered a second pair this spring and will be taking them both on my Camino ... one in my mid height trail shoes and the other in my alternate evening shoes. I figure if my feet fail me, my camino is over, so I am taking as much care as I can with them before leaving and during the Camino :)

Mine are SOFSOLE Arch Women's performance insole with extra arch support and microban, wicking technology and max cushioning. Not expensive -- less than $25. Like walking on pillows paired with my Merrell Moab Ventilators :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used Green Superfeet for years. Switched to Soles last year on advice of Podaiatrist. He advised the the Superfeet were great but showed me where they were not actually in contact with parts of my feet.
The Sole brand is put in the oven and heated up. You then put them in your shoes and stand on them to mold to your feet.
Sounds odd but works a treat. I was very happy with them on the Norte last year.
To be clear...the Green Superfeet were also a good choice before I switched.

Superfeet ( they are blue), with an extra gel heel pad to soften the hard way I hit the ground with my heels!

Be very careful. I would only wear ones that have been MADE for me, or recommended by a podiatrist and modeled to my foot. For instance, Vasily makes many models, for DIFFERENT feet and still need to be customised. . I would not improvise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After another trip to REI today, I went with the SOLES high volume inserts. I am going to mold them to my feet tonight, but fingers crossed this helps.

Thanks for all of the input - it really helped me pick a brand that I think will work me for me. I sure love being a member of this forum. You guys are great!

NP

All in all, just try some out. You can do it in a safe way by not using the adhesive yet and testing how they feel. If they don't work out, you can either return them or you can save them for another pair of shoes. They're bound to fit in some pair of shoes someday, right?

www.westsidepodiatry.ca

604 876 8838

After another trip to REI today, I went with the SOLES high volume inserts. I am going to mold them to my feet tonight, but fingers crossed this helps.

Thanks for all of the input - it really helped me pick a brand that I think will work me for me. I sure love being a member of this forum. You guys are great!

NP
I think you'll really like the SOLES. I've have tried many brands. I used Superfeet for quite some time until I found SOLES and that's all I've used for the past 7 or 8 years. They'll last you a long time, you'll wear out shoes/boots before the insoles. You can reheat the SOLES and reform to new shoes if you so choose.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought SOLES heat molded for the Altra Lone Peak 4 (foot shape), but they were too thick for that shoe. I got heel blisters because my foot sat too high up. So, I tried a lower insole called Currexsole Run.....and though not completely shaped for the wide toe box with the Altras, they were close. My heel sat lower, with support and...no heel issues! The toe box was fine with Currexsole Run. They're made in Germany and get good reviews.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.