• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which camino do you recommend for a first timer?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, everyone,

I am looking for a range of opinions for what to tell a "newbie" who is trying to choose which camino to walk as her first. My initial reactions are probably the obvious ones -- alternatives to the Frances will be quieter, less crowded, fewer lodging options, less pilgrim infrastructure in general. But for me, I have a hard time suggesting a Frances alternative as a first time choice.

Though I've walked many caminos since my first in 2000, I'm not sure I would have become so addicted if my first experience had not been on the Frances, if that makes any sense. That camino bubble that somehow manages to combine the intensity of wonderful interpersonal relationships with an opportunity for intense introspection is sometimes harder to find on the less well-traveled routes, though I've become a big fan of the solitary walks too.

What do the rest of the repeat offenders think?

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Frances every time!! The Jacobean Route par excellence. The first European Cultural itinerary.
Not so quiet, more crowded, more lodging options, more pilgrim infrastructure.
Go with your gut!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would say it depends upon the pilgrim, but I would recommend the Frances (despite being more crowded, etc) because it is well-supported & supplied. That way, your newbie friend won't feel so overwhelmed by the experience & if they decide they don't like walking (I know I know, there are people who don't find walking the Camino interesting or fun!!! :eek: ), they can bow out at one of the larger towns & head off to do something they do like. :)

I know I was very hesitant to travel to foreign countries by myself until I took a group tour (ages ago) & saw how easy it was. Perhaps walking a bit along the Frances will give your friend similar confidence!

Kelly

Does your friend like crowds? If so the Camino Francés might be right.
As folk who don't like crowds we prefer the quieter Caminos; the Norte/Primitivo with just the end on the Francés from Melide or Palas de Rei would be my choice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Laurie,
How much time has your friend got to walk? If it's a good stretch I'd definitely go with the CF-all the other newbies to relate to, the support network and (once you learn to trust the arrows!) the walking 'flow' it allows are pretty unbeatable .
But if s/he's really tight on time-say less than a week-I'd got for the Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia as a perfect 'Camino Teaser'. It certainly gave me the physical confidence to go for the C.Frances, the landscape was really lovely and the people warm and friendly and we weren't overcrowded or racing for beds.
Whatever route you advise Laurie as their first Camino it's going to be and will remain special for them so don't worry to much :lol:
Nell

If someone has done long walks before, say someone who has walked the Appalachian trail, or trekked in Nepal, and now wants to do a historical trail in Europe, particularly if they have to go in peak season, I'd point them towards a mountainous route in France.

If they like meeting other people, can't plan ahead and need lots of options, or can go during a cooler less crowded time, the Frances.

falcon269 said:
I like pilgrims, stay in albergues, and have ALWAYS found a bed. My vote is Camino Frances for the first pilgrimage (particularly with the recommendation to "stop worrying; the Camino 'will provide'").

((LIKE))

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend the Frances but I would also suggest (if possible) to choose an off peak month...maybe November or March.

Hi Laurie.

I think it totally depends on the individual. I HATE crowds, and after driving along the Camino Frances and seeing pilgrims every few feet, I knew I'd never want to do that route, despite its history. So I picked the route that gets the least # of pilgrims -- the VDLP. And loved it. Obviously many people feel exactly the opposite, so that would be my first question to your friend -- do you want to see people all the time, sometimes or infrequently? Fitness is another consideration; does he/she only want to limited number of kilometers a day? Then routes like the Camino Frances, with short stages, would be best.

Melanie

I would recommend the Frances route for the first time. The most memborable camino was the Frances because it was about the people. I never felt crowded and there were many many miles where I hiked alone. You get an opportunity to meet amazing people from around the world . I know Melanies had talked about Fitness being a consideration due to its shorter stages. I would have to disagree, there are guidebooks with recommended routes and suggested Kilometes for the day, but it was just a recommendation. I often did 30km on days I felt good . Its your Camino, you do however amount of KM you want per day. I agree the Frances is more supported so you are never without a bed. The camino does provide. Beun Camino !!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should have been clearer. What I meant about the shorter stages on the Camino Frances is that if you're looking to walk shorter distances per day because of health or fitness limitations, it's easier to do so on the Camino Frances than routes like the VDLP, where sometimes you're forced to walk 30-40 kilometers in a day because there's absolutely nothing in between. But of course no matter which route you're on, you can walk to whatever town you want for the day, whether it's shorter or longer than the traditional stage. I never look at stages myself -- I just try to alternate longer and shorter days, then add in a rest day every time I'm in a larger city where there's a lot to explore.

Melanie

Hi Laurie,

I would recommend Camino Frances as well, and just like others, it is because of the infrastructure, smaller distances and widely available guide books and maps. I know that it being overcrowded can be an issue but, again, it depends on time of the year. I walked from St Jean to Burgos in the highest tourist season (August) and even though it was super busy, I found a lot of time for solitary walking and to myself in general. There were a lot of other people, who just like me wanted to be on their own and they wouldn't be afraid to say this (you often heard 'it was lovely walking with you for a while and talking but I am now going to walk on my own'). But in the evenings, when I wanted to be with other people, there was this amazing spirit of sharing and camaraderie, which was a great spiritual experience in itself.

No matter what your friend decides to do, Camino does not disappoint, that's for sure:)

Buen Camino!
Agnieszka

I walked the Via de La Plata as my first Camino in 2011, "solo", late 50's, moderately fit and moderately overweight...it was an amazing walk with the effect [positive] building up like a good tsunami & washing over me on my arrival home. Now, thinking about another long walk, I am concerned that other, crowded Caminos will not have the magic of that first hard,[days of 40 degree heat!!!!] intense walk where companions were few but memorable and treasured. So..good luck in choosing your first Camino. Maybe in the end it doesn't really matter..all will have beauty and leave their mark on you.
Buen camino
Andreas

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Le Puy was a great choice for me, and it's on the way to the CF. Another possibility is to walk the CF in February, like I did. It then becomes a completely different experience. Change the season, change the Camino, I always say. (Actually, that's the first time I've said it, but...)

peregrina2000 said:
But for me, I have a hard time suggesting a Frances alternative as a first time choice.
I'm not sure I would have become so addicted if my first experience had not been on the Frances,

My first was the Mozarabe/VdlP and I am now a confirmed Camino junkie having walked every year since that first one in 2008.

Nevertheless I too would have a hard time suggesting a Frances alternative as a first time choice. The infrastructure is good and one has more choices relating to daily stages than on many other routes.

Clearly the Frances works as a first for most people.

My first was the VdlP a couple of years ago and it was the most wonderful, magical, memorable, solacing, spirit-raising, life-enhancing experience. And I'm on it again, and enjoying it just as much (and taking a few more days off en route to get to see properly some of the glories that I rushed past last time).

So the VdlP gets my vote, but it would certainly not be one for somebody who does not relish solitude as well as company, or certainly not at this time of year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whilst I understand the recommendation of France Camino, for a number of reasons I will do doing the Via de la Plata - just the last 750 km from Merida. I am spending about 10 days exploring the Moorish history of Granda & Sevilla. But I would welcome any suggestions as to how to prepare!

BTW I have started the Spanish lessons and the walking training and have climbed Kilimanjaro 3 times. Buen Camino to all :D

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.