• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which camino for 2/3 weeks in May?

BelsizePark

I'm thinking of walking the camino for the first time this May.

I have 2/3 weeks (I can't get any more holiday from work) and was wondering what route would be best for this time of year and time period.

* I will probably be walking alone but would like to meet some other English speakers along the way (I did Spanish at school but am quite rusty). But not so busy that it's hard to find beds (or occasional peace and quiet).
* I'd like to do something that feels like a complete route in its own right, rather than the last few stages of a longer route (or one broken up by public transport).
* I'd like a route with beautiful scenery and interesting towns/buildings along the way (including religious buildings like monasteries and churches/cathedrals - the religious aspect of the pilgrimage is quite important).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have thought about Salvador/Primitivo and the Portugues, or doing a stretch of the coastal route. Or maybe the first part of the Frances (although it would be nice to end up in Santiago I wouldn't mind ending in another city along the way, and finishing the camino another year).

Thank you,

Andrea

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I did Sarria to Santiago last year. Also with a time constarint, it was what we could do and end up in Santiago.

If I had more time (2 or 3 weeks), I'd start in Leon or Astorga on the Camino Frances, and walk to Santiago, then to Muxía. That will probably be our next Camino.

Leon is a modern-esque city that is easy to reach, has everything you need, and the cathederal would be an amazing place to start from.

In the end, it is your Camino, and you'll have an amazing experience no matter what way you choose.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oooh! Choices, choices!!

± 2 weeks

Via de la Plata: From Salamanca to Santiago 319km
Camino Norte: From Gijon to Santiago 350km
Camino Primitivo: Oviedo to Santiago 369km

Camino Ingles & Fistera/Muxia: 240km

Lourdes to Somport (130km ) and Somport to Pamplona (180km) 310km

Andrea
'BelsizePark' suggests you might be in London, so you could always go to the CSJ's Practical Pilgrim day in Blackfriars on the 23 Feb and discuss ideas with loads of other pilgrims in the planning stage. But my vote'd be for the Primitivo and then on to Finisterre.

Sil - you say 250k from Gijon to Santiago. That doesn't look right to me as Gijon is 25k 'behind' Oviedo.
I'd reckon it's at least 350k on the Norte?

Ooops! Typo.

It should be 350km - but it doesn't go through Oviedo. It continues on the Coastal route which joins the Camino at Arzua. There are aa couple of variants on the route from Gijon. One is about 278km and the other around 350km.

A really good website to check these variants is http://www.jacobeo.net/. They give a stage by stage description of each. http://www.jacobeo.net/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
starting in Leon (or even a bit further back if I have more time) sounds great.

Andrea
Leon to Santiago is a good choice. I have found it a comfortable 15-day walk, but it can be shortened by a day fairly easily. Add some time for staying in Leon and Santiago, and three weeks can fly by! If you walk faster than you originally think you can, you can use the extra time in Santiago to walk to Muxia or Fisterra.

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back