• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino for a week in mid March?

F

Former member 100027

I would like to spend a week walking the last 100km of (any) Camino starting either 12th or 19th March. I'm on a budget and would prefer to stay in albergues (Xunta or private) for the duration. I've already walked the Inglès and we're walking the Francés from SJPDP in September so I'd prefer not to walk the Sarria to Santiago stretch either. I am looking for a bit of a break from working life (and life in general esp after nearly 2 years of the pandemic) and time to work through a few issues.
The most relevant criteria is availability of albergue accommodation in March and ease of getting to the starting point. I'm a solo female so would also prefer not to be walking long distances alone in remote areas. I intend to fly into SdC from London. Which Camino would you recommend? All advice welcomed!

UPDATE:

I've decided to walk the Portuguese either from Valenca/ Tui or Vigo. Due to flight times and availability I'm flying to Porto and hopefully getting a bus to either destination. I'd be interested in any advice re either starting point. I start walking on either 20th or 21st March, depending upon which starting point I finally decide upon, as the bus journey length varies considerably (nearly 3 hours to Vigo) between the starting points.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to spend a week walking the last 100km of (any) Camino starting either 12th or 19th March. I'm on a budget and would prefer to stay in albergues (Xunta or private) for the duration. I've already walked the Inglès and we're walking the Francés from SJPDP in September so I'd prefer not to walk the Sarria to Santiago stretch either. I am looking for a bit of a break from working life (and life in general esp after nearly 2 years of the pandemic) and time to work through a few issues.
The most relevant criteria is availability of albergue accommodation in March and ease of getting to the starting point. I'm a solo female so would also prefer not to be walking long distances alone in remote areas. I intend to fly into SdC from London. Which Camino would you recommend? All advice welcomed!

Then I would suggest the Portugues from Tui on. Enough choice of albergues though IMO the landscape and surroundings of the Ingles are nicer than the last 100 k. of the Portugues.But still enough variation on the Portugues to make it a gorgeous pilgrimage!

Then I would suggest the Portugues from Tui on. Enough choice of albergues though IMO the landscape and surroundings of the Ingles are nicer than the last 100 k. of the Portugues.But still enough variation on the Portugues to make it a gorgeous pilgrimage!
Thank you. Would you suggest starting in Valenca or Tui? My fitness levels have pretty much tanked during the pandemic so the flatter landscape is a bit more appealing. I think the Ingles would kill me off if I walked it in March!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. Would you suggest starting in Valenca or Tui? My fitness levels have pretty much tanked during the pandemic so the flatter landscape is a bit more appealing. I think the Ingles would kill me off if I walked it in March!
If you travel from Spain then Tui is a logical destination by public transport. Short stroll to Valenca if you prefer to walk from there . I did not fancy Valenca much seeing it was full with busloads of tourists. Then again it was a Saturday. And I seem to be in the minority with not liking Valenca much.
I love Pontevedra. Lots to see and some nice places to eat.

Another option is from Ourense to Santiago. Lovely way and in Ourense you can find thermal springs - get a nice warm bath and then on the road through Galicia;)
enjoy

Last edited:
Another option is from Ourense to Santiago. Lovely way and in Ourense you can find thermal springs - get a nice warm bath and then on the road through Galicia;)
enjoy

Thank you for the recommendation. I contemplated the Sanabres from Ourense, as I have the John Brierly Guide. I think I'll struggle fitness wise with the Sanabres - there are a fair few steep and long ascents which I don't think my ol' body will be able to cope with right now! Its also a Camino my husband and I would like to do together at some point so its definitely on our (long) list of Caminos to walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A wonderful week-long Camino would be the Inglés. We walk in mid-to late-March in 2018. Even during Semana Santa, it wasn’t all that busy. If you’re open to private hostels and hotels as well as albergues, there are plenty of accommodations along this route. We thoroughly enjoyed it, although we did hit a bit of rain that year. Nonetheless, that didn’t dampen our spirits nor was the route particularly demanding. You have a number of excellent one week choices available.

A wonderful week-long Camino would be the Inglés. We walk in mid-to late-March in 2018. Even during Semana Santa, it wasn’t all that busy. If you’re open to private hostels and hotels as well as albergues, there are plenty of accommodations along this route. We thoroughly enjoyed it, although we did hit a bit of rain that year. Nonetheless, that didn’t dampen our spirits nor was the route particularly demanding. You have a number of excellent one week choices available.

Thank you. We walked the Inglés in 2019. We found it quite tough with the steep ascents (Pontedeume and Betanzos!) and descents (Miño)! I don't think my body, in its current state of lethargy, would cope with an Ingles 2.0! I've decided to walk the Portugues from Tui instead.

The Portugues from Valenca is delightful. Did it in Spring 2019; nice accommodations and restaurants (but not sure about albergues, we did hotels), and we thought Valenca was charming. It was not too crowded when we were there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Portugues from Valenca is delightful. Did it in Spring 2019; nice accommodations and restaurants (but not sure about albergues, we did hotels), and we thought Valenca was charming. It was not too crowded when we were there.
Thank you. I hope so too! I've decided to walk from Valenca. I've had to be a bit more organised with advance booking beds in private albergues to ensure I have one for the night but that's all done now!

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.