• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino for Less-abled or Wheelchairs?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I have been asked if I can help a friend plan a camino for his wife who is in a wheelchair. He recently walked a few days with me and now would very much like to do something similar with his wife.

I wondered perhaps if the litteral route from Porto might be possible? But I also wondered if any sections of the Meseta from Burgos could work?

I've walked both routes but never from the perspective of a wheelchair? I have read a few threads about some amazing pilgrims who have done this themselves but I wonder if anyone can fill in any gaps about the reality of this kind of pilgrimage?

The couple in question would like to see other pilgrims so they dont want to walk an isolated route. The wheelchair is sturdy but not built for too much rugged off road, and they would like to walk perhaps 4 days with around 12km a day? The lady in question also has a friend who would very much like to walk part of the camino; she suffered a stroke ten years ago. There are maybe two others who would like to join them.

I feel unqualified to help but at the same time I feel totally driven to make this happen.

If you had to pick a 50km stretch... which would you go for?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've seen pilgrims on the Camino in wheelchairs.
I think I'd choose Sarria to Santiago and I'd purchase a wheelchair especially for trails. I broke that up into half stages last year for a "slow camino." Lots of lodging options on that stretch.

Thanks Annie - I know that you know the trail well so it's good to have your input. A part of me thinks it would be great for them to reach Santiago. Diana said it was the journey and not the destination for her but even so... it would be a great ending for them.

I will suggest they look at maybe hiring a trail chair and also look at the Sarria section. I've walked it 4 times now but even so there are gaps in my memory! I hope to walk the Primitivo in a few weeks so I can pay close attention from Melide.

thank you again... I so want to make this happen for this group!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If they are hoping to just experience some "Camino" and maybe walk into Santiago then the last-bit from wherever after Sarria that they can reasonably access seems a good idea. There will be hundreds of Pilgrims en-route. The "buzz" will be there. They'll meet people from all over the world and maybe make friends in unexpected ways.

If they are hoping to experience Camino, the journey, then there are stretches in Palencia and on the Meseta where wheel-chair manoeuvring will be relatively easy and there will be many Pilgrims en-route. The "buzz" will be there. They'll meet people from all over the world and maybe make friends in unexpected ways.

I wish them Buen Camino

@Tincatinker ... good point about choosing a section from Sarria.

I think the 'buzz' and meeting pilgrims and just being able to participate is really what is drawing my little group.

thanks for the ideas!

I saw a poster in Castrojeriz ..that had all the symbols of various camino markers..one was a wheelchair symbol with arrow so they must have some routes that are accessible or offer supports or something. you also need to consider accessibility in their accomodation. I'd contact an official camino organization to inquire.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been asked if I can help a friend plan a camino for his wife who is in a wheelchair. He recently walked a few days with me and now would very much like to do something similar with his wife.

I wondered perhaps if the litteral route from Porto might be possible? But I also wondered if any sections of the Meseta from Burgos could work?

I've walked both routes but never from the perspective of a wheelchair? I have read a few threads about some amazing pilgrims who have done this themselves but I wonder if anyone can fill in any gaps about the reality of this kind of pilgrimage?

The couple in question would like to see other pilgrims so they dont want to walk an isolated route. The wheelchair is sturdy but not built for too much rugged off road, and they would like to walk perhaps 4 days with around 12km a day? The lady in question also has a friend who would very much like to walk part of the camino; she suffered a stroke ten years ago. There are maybe two others who would like to join them.

I feel unqualified to help but at the same time I feel totally driven to make this happen.

If you had to pick a 50km stretch... which would you go for?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughter is in a wheelchair, cannot walk at all. We did the section from Logrono to Burgos. It was challenging but we managed. I have a Facebook page, Pushing for EDS which may be helpful. If you do the Frances, there is a guide for cyclists which could be helpful. My daughter also did the section from Sarria with friends she me on the Camino! I walked from Burgos to Leon. I think this would be a good section for a wheelchair. I loved the meseta. Message me if you would like more info.
we were given a lot if help from other pilgrims so I would suggest a busy section of the Camino

Hola - I am in agreement with Tinca. Burgos to Leon is relatively straight forward for those in a wheelchair provided the support crew know how to help. I cycled and walked the Frances and from memory the Sarria to Santiago is doable - but you may need to take some deviations (I am thinking of the section immediately west of Sarria - the railway crossing and that hill climb). There is a sealed road (C535 I think) that will get you around this section. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back