• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino for my 80th year?

A few minutes ago, I watched a CBC report on the latest drug that has been developed against Alzheimer's Disease. It was approved in the United States and is still under consideration in Canada. But there are significant problems with it, The last part of the report was about other ways to put off the development of this disease of aging. At present, one successful approach appears to be exercise. I am wondering if walking caminos is particularly helpful for this, as it involves planning and getting in shape, followed by weeks of walking and facing all the challenges of the camino, not to mention working at learning or re-learning one or more languages and lots of wonderful socializing. I would not consider it a reason to walk caminos but it may be a bonus for older walkers.
Walking, biking and playing bridge fulfill the spiritual, physical and mental for me at 72. No idea how scientific or long lasting the effects are, but all are so much happier addictions than those on which I burned and scattered the ashes of my youth.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which part of the CF did you enjoy the most?!
Answering that question is tougher than winning the $64,000 Question. The answer to this is what helps make memorable experiences. I think the only answer is it depends and then it is pretty much the whole experience. Trying to define what you enjoyed the most? Was it a friendship and conversation and knowing you have a lifetime connection with someone? Was it those communal meals when you would be sitting with 8 other people from 8 other countries around the world? Was it a stretch that you found so beautiful and actually may have felt a spiritual setting, only to walk that same stretch 3 years later and it is in the middle of a snow or rain storm with high winds and you are kilometers from being able to find shelter and you think back and say, "Why did I ever love this place?" :) Was it that wonderful albergue. There are so many moments that are special and one person's Camino nirvana is another person just cruising through.
If you haven't walked before I would say go with a blank mind. Just listen to your body and it will tell you when to walk, rest, stop for the night and eat, and let whatever happens happen and you will create your own space on the CF or any Camino that will be the many places you enjoyed the most.
There are as many enjoyable places, people and moments on the Camino as there pilgrims. That is what is going to keep you coming back!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had my 77th birthday on the Camino Francés in 2019. I'm now contemplating another for my 80th year in 2022, but I'm not sure I could manage the Francés again. Any suggestions?

James
Ingles

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me, on my 80th, it will be the Frances again. It will be different, just as a river is different than when you first crossed it. I felt great at 75 walking the Frances in 2017. But I know, largely through this forum, how much I missed owing to my zeal to complete the journey and cross the finish line. The fear of failure was ever present. Next time I can relax secure in the knowledge I accomplished my objective the first time. Or will I? . . .

For me, on my 80th, it will be the Frances again. It will be different, just as a river is different than when you first crossed it. I felt great at 75 walking the Frances in 2017. But I know, largely through this forum, how much I missed owing to my zeal to complete the journey and cross the finish line. The fear of failure was ever present. Next time I can relax secure in the knowledge I accomplished my objective the first time. Or will I? . . .
Yes, that zeal to finish is a problem for me after decades in the rat race. But it gets a little better with every Camino. May it continue.🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Portuguese from Porto plus Finesterre Muxia circuit is easy and you can do short distances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had my 77th birthday on the Camino Francés in 2019. I'm now contemplating another for my 80th year in 2022, but I'm not sure I could manage the Francés again. Any suggestions?

James
It is great to see so many senior citizens bitten by the Camino Bug. I did my first from Pamplona to Santiago in March April 2022 . It was a challenge and some days were hard.

I am doing my second one from Porto To Santiago in April 2024 and am looking forward to it.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.