• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino for my 80th year?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not sure I could manage the Francés again. Any suggestions?
  • If you want to reduce daily distances - Out of all the routes, the Camino Frances best lends itself to breaking daily distances into whatever chunks you find comfortable.
  • If you want a comparatively short overall distance - You could choose to walk just the last section (or any section) of any camino.
  • If you want a camino with fewer climbs - The Camino Portuguese is reported to be gentler. You can get a profile of the altitudes along each of the major routes from the route planner on the godesalco website: https://godesalco.com/plan
Someone is bound to ask ... How important is it to you to finish in Santiago de Compostela?

One possibility is to walk the Ingles from A Coruna, having made up the distance with a walk/pilgrimage in the UK, as permitted for Uk residents by the Santiago Canons. It is fairly straightforward with no major ascents. It doesn't have baggage transfer(Correos) though, until O Meson do Vento.
I have done this way, using the Camino Augustine/Pilgrims Way to Canterbury as my starter, other routes are available depending on where you live. It also means that I can get into Canterbury for free as a pilgrim and get my Credencial stamped.
The Portugues from Valenca or Tui is also very straightforward, with Baggage transfer by Tuitrans if needed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am just a couple of years younger than you, but recovering from ankle reconstruction. So I am musing, like you, about future Caminos.

Influenced greatly by an episode of Anthony Bourdain showcasing the Basque cuisine and culture, I am interested in the Camino Baztan. There are a few long days of 24km or so, maybe too long for our age group. I don't know if there are workarounds for these stages.

Added benefit is a possible pre-Camino stopover in beautiful San Sebastian with fabulous Pamplona at the end of the route.

All above is notional - haven't walked it or drilled down into the route's accommodations.

Buen Camino and good luck with your planning.

I had my 77th birthday on the Camino Francés in 2019. I'm now contemplating another for my 80th year in 2022, but I'm not sure I could manage the Francés again. Any suggestions?

James
I had great fun planning our (likely) final Camino for my husband's 80th in 2019. Having walked the CF from Roncesvalles to SdC in 2013, then different parts, once starting on the Baztán, over the next few years, I could be realistic about the stretches we wanted to walk once more; looking up timetables for numerous bus companies and being honest about what we could sensibly walk, depending on terrain etc kept me entertained in the run-up to our trip. I'm so glad we were able to walk/bus/taxi from Pamplona to Frómista, satisfying in a completely different way from that exhilarating first time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all, this is so heartening. I walked my first Camino in 2019 (el Norte) and was set to return on a new route last year before the pandemic hit. O'm still not sure this year will be possible amid travel restrictions and was beginning to think the years were slipping by as I'm 69 this year. Now, thanks to this string of posts, I know I have at least a decade of pilgrimages ahead of me. Whichever way you choose, Buen Camino.

I had my 77th birthday on the Camino Francés in 2019. I'm now contemplating another for my 80th year in 2022, but I'm not sure I could manage the Francés again. Any suggestions?

James
Hi James
Rome - Santiago would be the icing on the cake and also very much appreciated by Santiago (San Giacomo) or Sant James ;)

Thank you all, this is so heartening. I walked my first Camino in 2019 (el Norte) and was set to return on a new route last year before the pandemic hit. O'm still not sure this year will be possible amid travel restrictions and was beginning to think the years were slipping by as I'm 69 this year. Now, thanks to this string of posts, I know I have at least a decade of pilgrimages ahead of me. Whichever way you choose, Buen Camino.
I was thinking the same as you ! Since I will be 68 in May !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
  • If you want to reduce daily distances - Out of all the routes, the Camino Frances best lends itself to breaking daily distances into whatever chunks you find comfortable.
  • If you want a comparatively short overall distance - You could choose to walk just the last section (or any section) of any camino.
  • If you want a camino with fewer climbs - The Camino Portuguese is reported to be gentler. You can get a profile of the altitudes along each of the major routes from the route planner on the godesalco website: https://godesalco.com/plan
Someone is bound to ask ... How important is it to you to finish in Santiago de Compostela?
Not important, really, but it wouldn't be a Camino otherwise. A friend does a lot of long-distant walks e.g. Bay of Biscay to Mediterranean over the Pyrenees, none of his suggestions appeal. There's something magical and purposeful about a pilgrimage, notwithstanding the spiritual element.

I'll look more closely into the Portuguese, but a chunk or chunks of the Francés might do it for me. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love this series of messages. I am having the same questions! I walked my first Frances at 74 and then the primitivo at 76. And I long to return. But now sitting here in the pandemic unable to travel, I worry about doing my next one. When? I have always said I want to do one more, secretly saying to myself that there will be more than one. I am a bit interested in the Portuguese but I must say that IF it were really the last one I would be very drawn to the Frances. HMMMM

I was also going to walk the Frances again last year for my 80th but Covid put an end to that idea! And this year seems doubtful too BUT with sheer determination, good planning, and being a born optimist and having a profound trust in the fact that if it's meant to be, it will be, sometime I will set out to succeed. All blessings and Buen Camino to us 80+ year olds

Very good suggestion, thank you. I'll look closely.
In 2017 I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. There was only one day that I had to walk a long day. When you look at the stages there are some 30+ days that can be broken up into shorter stages. The infrastructure is there. When I walked I met one of the great characters of the Camino. His name was Steve and he was from Las Vegas. As he said once at dinner I married 5 floozies and showgirls and they all took me for everything but I had a blast and I wouldn't change it for the world. He said he just had his 5th divorce and was pretty well cleaned out again. After the Camino he was going to live with one of his daughters. Steve carried his own pack, and he walked 31K from Tomar to Alvaiazere. There were 6 of us who walked mostly alone in our groups of 3, 2 and Steve but usually ended up in the same albergue at night. We would often see Steve taking a nap under a tree along the way. He rarely stopped for coffees or breaks but always took an afternoon siesta. I lost him in Porto as I stayed there almost 3 full days because my friend was going home to the States.
Steve was 83 years old.
If Steve could do it I am sure you can too.
I walked the inland route to Santiago. I do not know which way Steve walked.
If you start in Lisbon because you want a longer Camino you can choose to take the Coastal Route also which is supposed to be beautiful ( I will do it in 2022 when I plan to start in Faro) and very flat.
I think it is about 370k from Lisbon to Porto. Someone please correct me if I am off and it is about 260 from Porto to Santiago on the interior or Central route and about 20K further along the coast.
It is a great route. Yes there is alot of road walking. The first few days are not the nicest. But on the upside, there still is plenty of beautiful scenery. You have lots of options like veering off to walk to Fatima or later taking the Spiritual Variant which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful walks anywhere. You also get to be among the people of Portugal. Who I think are the nicest, kindest and most generous people on earth. The food ain't bad either!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not important, really, but it wouldn't be a Camino otherwise. A friend does a lot of long-distant walks e.g. Bay of Biscay to Mediterranean over the Pyrenees, none of his suggestions appeal. There's something magical and purposeful about a pilgrimage, notwithstanding the spiritual element.
I have found it possible to conjure up a sense of purpose for my peregrinations from within, but I understand people's preference for "marquee" destinations. Apart from SDC, there are some established routes to Fatima in Portugal. The Via Francigena in Italy leads to Rome. There are other routes with spiritual significance discussed on this forum. None of these routes beats the CF for the convenient infrastructure, but each has unique charm.

I love this series of messages. I am having the same questions! I walked my first Frances at 74 and then the primitivo at 76. And I long to return. But now sitting here in the pandemic unable to travel, I worry about doing my next one. When? I have always said I want to do one more, secretly saying to myself that there will be more than one. I am a bit interested in the Portuguese but I must say that IF it were really the last one I would be very drawn to the Frances. HMMMM
When I started to train for my Francés in 2019, I realised quite quickly that it would not be easy. So I took plenty of precautions to improve my chances of completing the route. I allowed myself 43 days to do it, but in the event I arrived in Santiago after 41. I planned the route very carefully, trying to limit each day's distance. I think the maximum I walked was 23.5 Km in one day - that was hard. I booked accommodation every night in advance. That made it somewhat inflexible, but I think it was the correct plan with hindsight. Finally, I booked transport for my main pack for all stages - I only had to carry a small day pack with water, guide book etc.
Even with all these precautions it was difficult. I nearly abandoned it, exhausted, at least once, but after a good night's sleep I found myself putting one foot in front of the other and I was off again.

However, my knees have not recovered so I'm not sure I could do the CF again. I didn't believe one could get the itch to do another, but here I am! There are some good suggestions here.

Camino Portuguese....starting in Porto. The coastal route...good infrastructure, mostly flat walking.
I think the amount of hardscape on this Camino was a major contributor to my recent surgery to reconstruct a tibialis tendon. That, and perhaps also, thousands of miles of previous hiking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Raggy's suggestions look very practical. As it's been almost two years since I was last on the Camino, I am not as certain of my capacities as I like. I would focus on shorter stages, particularly in the first fortnight, averaging about 15km/day, and relying on Correos. This would put a kibosh in my plans of a Levante camino, as pack transfer is not obviously available and some of the stages are long, but one can't have everything. One of my pilgrim friends cheerfully reminded me of the mediaeval legend that those who expire on the Camino get to skip purgatory and sail right on through, waving merrily at one's former managers boiling in oil below-- she thought extra merit could be acquired by dropping chilled bottles of Doctor Pepper to them to assuage their thirst.

The two oldest pilgrims I met, one of 83 who had walked from Hamburg (!!), and a Lebanese pilgrim of 82 who had walked from Oviedo on the Primitivo, were doing quite well and enjoying themselves. The Lebanese pilgrim regretted that he was unable to keep up with his new friends but he found that the 15km average worked best for him (with pack). I dined with him in Salas when he proposed marriage to the 22-year-old waitress, assuring her that he had all of his teeth, a house with a garden with olive trees, and a French government pension-- her sister urged her to take up the offer as he would clearly not last long and she could be a wealthy young widow. She told us she would think on it and generously served us orujo blanco casero on the house.

James
Hi James. I was 75 when I did the CF in 2017 and I'm looking forward to celebrating my 80th back on the CF. That may seem odd to do the same 800 km again, but I sense it will be different. I believe this to be true because—thanks to this forum—I realize there were many things I missed the first time. I purposely went slow as I set out to savor every moment and took just one rest day. If your level of fitness is the same as when you did it the first time, 80 should be scarcely different than when you did it in 2019. Rest days and pace can serve as your fitness regulators. We can do this!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As it's been almost two years since I was last on the Camino, I am not as certain of my capacities as I like. I would focus on shorter stages, particularly in the first fortnight, averaging about 15km/day, and relying on Correos. This would put a kibosh in my plans of a Levante camino, as pack transfer is not obviously available and some of the stages are long, but one can't have everything.
It has been almost two years since alomost all of us were last on the Camino. I am going to walk the Levante this fall, planning on short days to start, because of my recent knee replacement. I helped with the planning on the recent Levante thread, done with the need of one prospective walker for shorter days. If you want to walk that route, read this thread:

Detailed Stage Planning — Camino de Levante - Camí de Llevant​

before deciding whether it could be right for you.

James
My husband walked Le Puy Route with me aged 81. 48 days including 3 rest days. Kept the stages until Conques short ( 8 to 16 km), as steep in parts. Later walked up to 25, but 18 to 20 km was more comfortable. Excellent accommodation/food all along this route pre covid. Allow 45 Euro per day for comfortable gite including shared meal of regional dishes, wine, bfast and a little baguette and fromage for lunch. It is a beautiful route. Walked the whole route x 3.

Lifted my heart to read all above comments re.James post. We were to do Camino from Porto Sept 2020 but of course COVID put an end to that!! We hope to do so maybe this Oct but certainly 2022. On reflection we think perhaps we’ll do 14 days of the part of Camino Frances we enjoyed most way back. We are now aged 74 & 71! Perhaps you should consider the same James

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

James
Where do you live? I’m 77 and think I could handle a 2022 walk. Roland.

I did the Francis at 82 in 2015. Walked short days, took a local bus at times, sent pack by Correos... Very enjoyable. Portuguese in 2018, same plan. Was not out to prove anything either time, just to enjoy the trails, food, local people and fellow walkers. Now I am enjoying the virtual trips as I read all of your adventures. Thank you for carrying on, and telling about your trips! Ulreia!!

I walked the Sanabres from Granja de Moreruela in my 80th year. Averaged around 20klm a day but took a day off once a week. It depends on your fitness level but as long as you know your own limitations I dont think age really matters.
Over the past six years I have also walked the CF from SJPDP, the Portuguese from Lisbon and the Primitivo and I hope that I am not finished yet.
The Sanabres is not anywhere near as difficult as the Primitivo and I would recommend it for any fit person in our age group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It has been almost two years since alomost all of us were last on the Camino. I am going to walk the Levante this fall, planning on short days to start, because of my recent knee replacement. I helped with the planning on the recent Levante thread, done with the need of one prospective walker for shorter days. If you want to walk that route, read this thread:

Detailed Stage Planning — Camino de Levante - Camí de Llevant​

before deciding whether it could be right for you.

Thank you. I have been following this thread with diligence, grateful for the work of others on this, and have dealt with insomnia on many nights by earthgoogling the route, and making notes with booking.com and everybody I can find on accommodation. Such are our diversions these days.

In acknowledging the work of others, I should note that other community members gave me useful information which helped me considerably in doing the Castellano Aragonese. I have had the agreeble duty, when helping train prospective pilgrims, of referring them to the Forum for valuable advice. Ivar is to be commended for setting up the Forum, as is its many members for providing practical information.

Am so pleased to read all these posts. I was looking forward to walking the Portuguese at 80 next year but was reconsidering due to illness. In fact had really decided I shouldn’t go. (It’s a long flight from Australia also). I now have renewed hope and determination thanks to all your posts. Please keep this thread going.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
FWIW:

Some suggest the Camino Portuguese: I walked the Camino Portuguese at age of 64. I started in Lisboa (Lisbon for English natives), but after 4 days of poor marking and much dangerous, lonely walking on highway shoulders, I relocated to Porto and restarted from there. It is a very nice, easy Camino, apart from one thing: The amount of cobblestones. It was very hard on my feet. But the cobblestones end when you enter into Spain.

I have walked several different Caminos, but for some reason, understood only by my heart, not my reason, my first Camino, the Frances, burnt an eternal impression in me. And I have enjoyed it several times afterwards.

So next time, Covid-19 willing (I got my first vaccine shot this afternoon), I shall walk the Frances again, but being retired now at the age of 67, I intend to walk short days, for 2 months, and submerge into the now and here. My dream is shorter days, starting out behind the pack, and relax with slow food and cold drinks in the afternoons.

Via de la Plata is my no.2. A great walk. Even if you only do parts of it. And so much history to see, f.ex. Merida:

Last edited:
Thanks, but probably a little too short.
I agree with you. God and the government of Spain willing, I will step off on the CF in October, a few days past my 77th b’day. I looked at alternatives, especially the elevations, but settled on the CF (again) since I know the route, it is the distance I want, and offers opportunities to modify each day’s walk. At my age, sometimes a known is preferred over the unknown. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
It is a very nice, easy Camino, apart from one thing: The amount of cobblestones. It was very hard on my feet. But the cobblestones end when you enter into Spain.

I was so happy to cross that bridge into Spain and say goodbye to the cobblestones! Unfortunately, it also meant saying goodbye to daily pastéis de natas. And there were a few places were a path would have 10-20 meters of cobblestones putting fear into my heart that they would continue.

(I got my first vaccine shot this afternoon),
Woo hoo!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I intend to walk short days, for 2 months, and submerge into the now and here. My dream is shorter days, starting out behind the pack, and relax with slow food and cold drinks in the afternoons.
The way to do it, Alex! Congrats on getting your first vaccination. Skål—you deserve it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being ready for a long and potentially challenging camino in one's "golden years" can sometimes seem like a challenge. Today, I went out for a walk. My new knee hurt. I headed uphill, moving steadily up the climb, then at the top getting a rush and beginning to walk faster and faster. I didn't hurt any more. I was leaving all the youngsters behind. No pack today, but a comfortable set of walking boots and a sudden surge of energy. the first since my surgery nearly six months ago left me facing a long recovery. I don't qualify to be walking in my 80th year; I am just entering my 74th. I can't predict what anyone else may be able to do. I am going to walk the Levante to Santiago: 1,300 km. I am beginning to prepare for it. I am even beginning to believe that it will be possible. This is my dream camino for this year. If you have or are seeking a dream camino for your future, there will be the dance of body and practical planning to prepare. Find the right fit for you and "Buen camino" to all.

Being ready for a long and potentially challenging camino in one's "golden years" can sometimes seem like a challenge. Today, I went out for a walk. My new knee hurt. I headed uphill, moving steadily up the climb, then at the top getting a rush and beginning to walk faster and faster. I didn't hurt any more. I was leaving all the youngsters behind. No pack today, but a comfortable set of walking boots and a sudden surge of energy. the first since my surgery nearly six months ago left me facing a long recovery. I don't qualify to be walking in my 80th year; I am just entering my 74th. I can't predict what anyone else may be able to do. I am going to walk the Levante to Santiago: 1,300 km. I am beginning to prepare for it. I am even beginning to believe that it will be possible. This is my dream camino for this year. If you have or are seeking a dream camino for your future, there will be the dance of body and practical planning to prepare. Find the right fit for you and "Buen camino" to all.
No doubt you will achieve your walk , Albertagirl! Good training and preparation to you and enjoy your Canadian spring !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did the Francis at 82 in 2015. Walked short days, took a local bus at times, sent pack by Correos... Very enjoyable. Portuguese in 2018, same plan. Was not out to prove anything either time, just to enjoy the trails, food, local people and fellow walkers. Now I am enjoying the virtual trips as I read all of your adventures. Thank you for carrying on, and telling about your trips! Ulreia!!
WalkingJane: thank you for your post. The most pertinent part of it, for me, was: "Was not out to prove anything....just to enjoy..." I sense that sometimes it is too easy to get caught up in what people will think of us if we walk short days or do not carry a full pack every day. I feel that one should do what one can do in order to enjoy one's pilgrimage. It is important to remember why we do this. I think that it is rarely to impress others.

The other uplifting thing about this thread is the discussion of age. As I sit here in my living room and gaze ahead to future Caminos, it is all too easy to focus on the fact that I will be 78 in early September. Will Covid ever allow me to walk another route? I am heartened by people sharing their ages when they were successful, by whatever their definition of the word, in walking various Caminos.

I need to focus less on the numbers on my birth certificate and concentrate on the miles that I am still able to walk. I will be ready when the curtain rises and we move forward.

The other uplifting thing about this thread is the discussion of age. As I sit here in my living room and gaze ahead to future Caminos, it is all too easy to focus on the fact that I will be 78 in early September. Will Covid ever allow me to walk another route? I am heartened by people sharing their ages when they were successful, by whatever their definition of the word, in walking various Caminos.

I need to focus less on the numbers on my birth certificate and concentrate on the miles that I am still able to walk.
I am only 73, but decided a few months ago that I would NOT age at all, until the pandemic is over. To that end, I have increased my walking exercise, improved my diet, pulled out the Spanish lessons, and gotten more involved in several virtual activities to keep my brain active. Even so, the proverbial wayward bus could still get me, so I'll be watchful!

I am only 73, but decided a few months ago that I would NOT age at all, until the pandemic is over. To that end, I have increased my walking exercise, improved my diet, pulled out the Spanish lessons, and gotten more involved in several virtual activities to keep my brain active. Even so, the proverbial wayward bus could still get me, so I'll be watchful!

Hey. Stop ageing. Now there is a concept that I can get behind. Let's do it C clearly and invite interested parties to join us.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that I can go one up on you, as getting a new knee is definitely aging in reverse. My new knee works so much better than the one that I had on all my previous caminos. The only challenge is that it has to be thoroughly broken in to be at its best. But then, the pandemic has provided lots of time for that.

I think that I can go one up on you, as getting a new knee is definitely aging in reverse. My new knee works so much better than the one that I had on all my previous caminos. The only challenge is that it has to be thoroughly broken in to be at its best. But then, the pandemic has provided lots of time for that.
If a person has needed new "bionic" parts, 2020 was definitely the year to do it. I wish you well as you strengthen your new knee for your next Camino!😊

Starting in 2017, I celebrated my 75th, 76th, and 77th birthdays doing the CF from SJPP. In 2018, I did parts of the Portuguese Coastal. I was alone, and I found the PC to have much less infrastructure(bars, etc.) and few pilgrims---entirely different from the CF. Pretty scenery along parts of the coastline, but not nearly as much fun---for me. I've seen parts of the Ingles, also, and it, too, looks sparse.
I'm hoping to go back, this summer, with a grandson, to do parts of the CF. It's my favorite. I would like to SJPP to SdeC again next year, to celebrate my 80th. I love the Camino---wish I had discovered it sooner....

€60,-
I am only 73

I think that I can go one up on you, as getting a new knee is definitely aging in reverse.
Well I am doing even better! I realize that I am still only 72, so I've gone back a year in 2 hours. (Not sure what that says about my mental function, though!)

Well I am doing even better! I realize that I am still only 72, still, so I've gone back a year in 2 hours. (Not sure what that says about my mental function, though!)
You need to patent what ever it is that you are doing right away. ;)

€149,-
I found this forum, and the Camino in 2013, and walked the last 118 K Sarria to Santiago in 2015. When I got home, I needed a hip replacement, then a 4-way heart bypass, and now a 2nd hip replacement scheduled this summer. When I walked, I I needed the first hip replaced, and the heart bypass. No wonder I was the slowest pilgrim on the Camino. At almost 73, I now know I have many more years to walk my Caminos. Thank you all for providing hope.

WalkingJane: thank you for your post. The most pertinent part of it, for me, was: "Was not out to prove anything....just to enjoy..." I sense that sometimes it is too easy to get caught up in what people will think of us if we walk short days or do not carry a full pack every day. I feel that one should do what one can do in order to enjoy one's pilgrimage. It is important to remember why we do this. I think that it is rarely to impress others.

I need to focus less on the numbers on my birth certificate and concentrate on the miles that I am still able to walk. I will be ready when the curtain rises and we move forward.
Thank you. I'm learning that some bits of wisdom come with age when I relax and enjoy "the now"

€149,-

James
It depends how you like your caminos. Do you like a lot of other pilgrims en route, or do you prefer peace and solitude? If the former, the French or Portuguese might suit. If the latter, the Delta del Ebro route. The Ingles is lovely and you will do the required distance if you walk both arms of it.
Quite a lot are shown on my web site.
Ultreia!
Steve in England.

James
Hi James -- I walked the Francés 5 years ago for my 70th birthday and the next year I walked the Portugués from Porto to SdC. I think that the the Portugués was flatter but there were a lot of cobblestones that are hard on the feet, I thought it was less scenic, and some of the distances were longer than I would have preferred. (Portuguese food was great though.) I would like to do one more, maybe next year if things are open. I'm thinking the Francés maybe because it is possible to walk shorter distances. Also, I think I will start from León (last time Pamplona.) I will be interested in what you decide and how it went.

James
I walked Camino Portuguese 2019 and it is an easy walk from Porto. The Alberques are very good, although because of this year some may be closed!! It is much cheaper all round than the Frances, which I’ve walked three times, and the food and hospitality is wonderful.

James
Hello James...I suggest Galicia. From Coruna or El Ferrol to Santiago and if the body allows press on to Finnistere or Muxia.

James
Well, sir, have you made up your mind yet? If you think the Ingles is too short, then the Portuguese from Oporto might suit. I did it not too long ago, but I was only 67, so choose your pick! The place we spent two nights in was unusual - spotless, wonderful buffet breakfast, but not conventional modern by any means. Hotel Grande de Paris. There was a great deal offered at the time. We walked the route that is not the coastal, because the infrastructure was not in place for reasonably priced albergues. The people were friendly, there were enough and lovely other pilgrims - memorable, still in contact. I know there were cobblestones, that is indisputable! It was a wonderful time, and a pilgrimage to boot!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the aragones in 2019 at age 75 starting in Ireland st. Marie to Estella ,then walked to Oviedo from Leon,and loved it. You could easily to one or both of them. Obviously I liked the mountains!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi James -- I walked the Francés 5 years ago for my 70th birthday and the next year I walked the Portugués from Porto to SdC. I think that the the Portugués was flatter but there were a lot of cobblestones that are hard on the feet, I thought it was less scenic, and some of the distances were longer than I would have preferred. (Portuguese food was great though.) I would like to do one more, maybe next year if things are open. I'm thinking the Francés maybe because it is possible to walk shorter distances. Also, I think I will start from León (last time Pamplona.) I will be interested in what you decide and how it went.
Leon is a good place to start, easy to get to, and a flattish start for the first couple of days. You can build up to the mountains. And I always like Galicia.

Hi James...I was 75 this year (2021). I walked my first Camino in 2008 and walked every year since then in Portugal, France and Spain. Then the pandemic brings all my planning to and end. Feeling sorry for myself and wondering, "I'm 75, time is cracking on and I've missed two years". Then I see that a fellow pilgrim is planning to walk for his 80th. It lifted my spirits and gave me the courage to plan for 2022...when I'll be 76...but I'm not counting numbers any more. Thank you...By the way that picture on my banner is me standing in the sea in 2010, just outside Finnestere. Ultreia!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

James
I, too, celebrated my 77th on the Frances in 2019. Currently in Molinaseca and hoping to return to celebrate my 80th next year.
For me, nothing beats the Frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
so good to read this thread...I plan to walk Porto to SdC on the coastal way for my first Camino in September. I picked it for it's seemingly relative ease. My plan is to take my time, enjoy the moment(s) and arrive in SdC on my 83rd birthday. Thanks to all for the validation of these aspirations.

You have the right idea in my view, Willy. When I hiked the Frances, I purposely walked in a measured way as I was in no hurry. I savored each day; my guiding attitude was: Who knows when I may pass this way again. One of my favorite things to do was to pause, take my pack off, lay on it and gaze up at the starched white clouds of Spain. I wish you a happy journey and a grand party in SDC on your 83rd.

Your words reminded me of this old song from 1973 that I always liked...I am off piste, me thinks.
That was special, Chrissy. I love Seals & Crofts. I play "Hummingbird" frequently on my I-phone. I almost wore out a friendship in Ketchum, Idaho, in 1975, because I kept playing "I'll Play For You" over and over and over again. I left for an overseas assignment the next morning to Manila with that beautiful melody still playing in my head—just as it is right now. Thank you.

€60,-

James
James, if you liked the CF I'd walk that again and see how it goes. You can always make an adjustment to the day or route or schedule. The nice thing about the CF is that there are so many places for to stay and eat and many people to make friends with. I have met several 80 year old pilgrims on the caminos and I am inspired by them.

I have only walked the CF once but I feel I would enjoy walking it over and over again and I intend to walk it and the other routes many times in the future. When I cannot walk I will ride my bike, when I cannot ride a bike I may opt for an ebike

Have a great 80th birthday on the camino!

P.S. if 60 is the new 40 then 80 must be the new 60.

In 2017 I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. There was only one day that I had to walk a long day. When you look at the stages there are some 30+ days that can be broken up into shorter stages. The infrastructure is there. When I walked I met one of the great characters of the Camino. His name was Steve and he was from Las Vegas. As he said once at dinner I married 5 floozies and showgirls and they all took me for everything but I had a blast and I wouldn't change it for the world. He said he just had his 5th divorce and was pretty well cleaned out again. After the Camino he was going to live with one of his daughters. Steve carried his own pack, and he walked 31K from Tomar to Alvaiazere. There were 6 of us who walked mostly alone in our groups of 3, 2 and Steve but usually ended up in the same albergue at night. We would often see Steve taking a nap under a tree along the way. He rarely stopped for coffees or breaks but always took an afternoon siesta. I lost him in Porto as I stayed there almost 3 full days because my friend was going home to the States.
Steve was 83 years old.
If Steve could do it I am sure you can too.
I walked the inland route to Santiago. I do not know which way Steve walked.
If you start in Lisbon because you want a longer Camino you can choose to take the Coastal Route also which is supposed to be beautiful ( I will do it in 2022 when I plan to start in Faro) and very flat.
I think it is about 370k from Lisbon to Porto. Someone please correct me if I am off and it is about 260 from Porto to Santiago on the interior or Central route and about 20K further along the coast.
It is a great route. Yes there is alot of road walking. The first few days are not the nicest. But on the upside, there still is plenty of beautiful scenery. You have lots of options like veering off to walk to Fatima or later taking the Spiritual Variant which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful walks anywhere. You also get to be among the people of Portugal. Who I think are the nicest, kindest and most generous people on earth. The food ain't bad either!
Are you kidding? ;) Of all the Caminos, the walk from Lisbon to Porto has to be the most dangerous, often walking along the gully’s with very fast flowing traffic and honking lorry drivers. My socks and lungs were black and my socks stayed like that even after washing! The villages I stayed in were fabulous but several times I took a train that runs along the route all the way to Porto,luckily, to avoid the worst sections. I wondered why few pilgrims started in Lisbon but I found out the hard way. The first day was the worst as the route went past the back of houses with uncut hedges and loads of rubbish but I’m glad I did most of it as it taught me resilience and forced me to stop and say this is madness at times so take the train. On one section I was walking on the hard shoulder opposite the way to Fatima where someone was killed. I would recommend the Northern Way which is beautiful and I don’t remember any nasty areas, though you do need to take provisions as it’s rare to find a coffee stop unlike the French Way.

Are you kidding? ;) Of all the Caminos, the walk from Lisbon to Porto has to be the most dangerous, often walking along the gully’s with very fast flowing traffic and honking lorry drivers. My socks and lungs were black and my socks stayed like that even after washing! The villages I stayed in were fabulous but several times I took a train that runs along the route all the way to Porto,luckily, to avoid the worst sections. I wondered why few pilgrims started in Lisbon but I found out the hard way. The first day was the worst as the route went past the back of houses with uncut hedges and loads of rubbish but I’m glad I did most of it as it taught me resilience and forced me to stop and say this is madness at times so take the train. On one section I was walking on the hard shoulder opposite the way to Fatima where someone was killed. I would recommend the Northern Way which is beautiful and I don’t remember any nasty areas, though you do need to take provisions as it’s rare to find a coffee stop unlike the French Way.
You are right about the roads etc. I think that one or two of the more dangerous road walks for me where north of Porto. I do remember there was some trash that first day but I have found patches of rubbish on lots of caminos. There is alot of road walking on Norte too as you know. There are variants you can take to avoid many of those stretches. Norte was so beautiful. I don't seem to remember that I had much difficulty getting snacks or coffees. But I always have food in my pack when I start out. But if I didn't start in Lisbon I would have never have made the friends I made or met the absolutely wonderful people of Portugal who helped me , fed me and chatted with me along the way.

Thank you. I have been following this thread with diligence, grateful for the work of others on this, and have dealt with insomnia on many nights by earthgoogling the route, and making notes with booking.com and everybody I can find on accommodation. Such are our diversions these days.

In acknowledging the work of others, I should note that other community members gave me useful information which helped me considerably in doing the Castellano Aragonese. I have had the agreeble duty, when helping train prospective pilgrims, of referring them to the Forum for valuable advice. Ivar is to be commended for setting up the Forum, as is its many members for providing practical information.
Oh yes, thanks to Ivar!!
You are right about the roads etc. I think that one or two of the more dangerous road walks for me where north of Porto. I do remember there was some trash that first day but I have found patches of rubbish on lots of caminos. There is alot of road walking on Norte too as you know. There are variants you can take to avoid many of those stretches. Norte was so beautiful. I don't seem to remember that I had much difficulty getting snacks or coffees. But I always have food in my pack when I start out. But if I didn't start in Lisbon I would have never have made the friends I made or met the absolutely wonderful people of Portugal who helped me , fed me and chatted with me along the way.
In my view the best way to avoid any nastiness leaving Lisbon is to first go along the waterfront to see the monuments to the Discoverers, then take the local train up to Santarem to get onto the Caminho. But I love Lisbon and Portugal and can't see myself doing a Caminho without visiting some of those significant historical sites.

Oh yes, thanks to Ivar!!

In my view the best way to avoid any nastiness leaving Lisbon is to first go along the waterfront to see the monuments to the Discoverers, then take the local train up to Santarem to get onto the Caminho. But I love Lisbon and Portugal and can't see myself doing a Caminho without visiting some of those significant historical sites.
When I walked out of Lisbon (I assume you know) that the camino goes along the waterfront. Taking trains, buses or deciding which camino and the length of your Camino is without a doubt a personal decision for all of us. I know that the Camino "starts at your front door" but once i am physically in Spain, France or Portugal I always walk the "full" camino (my definition) from the traditional starting point. I need to walk long caminos and I do not like to break up the continuity and my rhythm of my camino by jumping ahead or around. For me there is something special about following the route at my own pace and rhythm. But to each their own camino. Buen camino y buen dia.

Lifted my heart to read all above comments re.James post. We were to do Camino from Porto Sept 2020 but of course COVID put an end to that!! We hope to do so maybe this Oct but certainly 2022. On reflection we think perhaps we’ll do 14 days of the part of Camino Frances we enjoyed most way back. We are now aged 74 & 71! Perhaps you should consider the same James
Which part of the CF did you enjoy the most?!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"I always walk the "full" camino (my definition) from the traditional starting point. I need to walk long caminos and I do not like to break up the continuity and my rhythm of my camino by jumping ahead or around. For me there is something special about following the route at my own pace and rhythm."

You reflect, accurately, It56ny, my sentiments. And, I might add, with my full pack at all times. I did not learn there was even such a thing as a pack (Mochila) transport service until about 200km into the journey. Of course, I never used it because, for me, it did not seem right.

James
The Camino Tolosana from Arles in France is worth considering. It is flat in a lot of stretches although there is asphalt walking. The mountainous parts could be avoided using taxis. I did it in 2018

When I walked out of Lisbon (I assume you know) that the camino goes along the waterfront. Taking trains, buses or deciding which camino and the length of your Camino is without a doubt a personal decision for all of us. I know that the Camino "starts at your front door" but once i am physically in Spain, France or Portugal I always walk the "full" camino (my definition) from the traditional starting point. I need to walk long caminos and I do not like to break up the continuity and my rhythm of my camino by jumping ahead or around. For me there is something special about following the route at my own pace and rhythm. But to each their own camino. Buen camino y buen dia.
I understand that wanting to walk 'the whole way', however one defines it, even though it wasn't my way. Aren't we fortunate that we can each do our own Way, and share experiences and learn from each other!

It's interesting, it wasn't that I wanted to be able to say that I walked the entire way, it's just that I simply wanted and needed to walk the entire way. I truly loved the walking. It was addicting.

First, Portuges is I think a good suggestion.

second: This may be heresy, but I think if there’s a Camino you want to do, even redo the Frances, do the parts that cooperate with your limitations (the advantage of age is we learn to acknowledge them) and bus/taxi/train through the parts that don’t. There’s plenty of stretches on most of the routes that are nothing but leaving large industrial areas, sharing highways with trucks, etc. Use a pack transport service as needed. I still have hopes of convincing my much older sister to do a Camino with me, and I’d plan it out so we hit areas that would appeal to her, walk areas that would be gentle on her, and aside from a few alburges probably get rooms because she doesn’t sleep well anymore. I’d carry our packs on albergue days and ship hers ahead on hotel days.

imho pilgrimage is a spiritual journey not a study in mortification of the flesh or we’d do this in hair shirts and chain cilice rather than tech shirts and tevas. To paraphrase Clemenza: leave the suffering, take the journey

whichever you choose: Buen Camino and happy birthday!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have so enjoyed reading this thread! I walked into Santiago on my 65th birthday in Nov, 2014. I have walked different Caminos every year since and I had planned to walk in again on my 70th birthday in 2019, but I had already done the Primitivo early in the year and I had moved during the year and was in the middle of closing on the sale of my house about then so I put it off until my 71st birthday. We all know what happened to our 2020 Caminos! I can't wait any longer - so now I am planning the Invierno for mid-October and wondering how hard it will be. This thread has definitely given me encouragement. My goal is ten Caminos and the good Lord willing that will be the Via de la Plata next spring. And after that, who knows what! :) Buen Camino to all of us "mature" pilgrims!

so good to read this thread...I plan to walk Porto to SdC on the coastal way for my first Camino in September. I picked it for it's seemingly relative ease. My plan is to take my time, enjoy the moment(s) and arrive in SdC on my 83rd birthday. Thanks to all for the validation of these aspirations.
Good luck, buen Camino and Vaya con Dios. I was 83 the other week and was dragged off with stroke! Out of danger and starting to train again for camino after Easter next year. Been at it off and on since 2003 and don't factor in my age as its something else to clutter up the brain cells . Enjoy each step as each one is different :)

Samarkand.

I have so enjoyed reading this thread! I walked into Santiago on my 65th birthday in Nov, 2014. I have walked different Caminos every year since and I had planned to walk in again on my 70th birthday in 2019, but I had already done the Primitivo early in the year and I had moved during the year and was in the middle of closing on the sale of my house about then so I put it off until my 71st birthday. We all know what happened to our 2020 Caminos! I can't wait any longer - so now I am planning the Invierno for mid-October and wondering how hard it will be. This thread has definitely given me encouragement. My goal is ten Caminos and the good Lord willing that will be the Via de la Plata next spring. And after that, who knows what! :) Buen Camino to all of us "mature" pilgrims!
I walked the Invierno in 2019 when I was 71. It was not a difficult walk, but there may be some challenges finding accommodation this year on the Invierno as elsewhere. For example, I stayed in Pension Pacita and the last that I heard it is closed. Also, I walked the Invierno from Oct. 27 and it it rained just about every day. Buen camino.
Edit: This year, I am walking the Levante from Valencia to the VdlP at Zamora to the Sanabres to Santiago.

Last edited:
A few minutes ago, I watched a CBC report on the latest drug that has been developed against Alzheimer's Disease. It was approved in the United States and is still under consideration in Canada. But there are significant problems with it, The last part of the report was about other ways to put off the development of this disease of aging. At present, one successful approach appears to be exercise. I am wondering if walking caminos is particularly helpful for this, as it involves planning and getting in shape, followed by weeks of walking and facing all the challenges of the camino, not to mention working at learning or re-learning one or more languages and lots of wonderful socializing. I would not consider it a reason to walk caminos but it may be a bonus for older walkers.

I walked the Invierno in 2019 when I was 71. It was not a difficult walk, but there may be some challenges finding accommodation this year on the Invierno as elsewhere. For example, I stayed in Pension Pacita and the last that I heard it is closed. Also, I walked the Invierno from Oct. 27 and it it rained just about every day. Buen camino.
Edit: This year, I am walking the Levante from Valencia to the VdlP at Zamora to the Sanabres to Santiago.
Thanks so much for your input. I stay in little hotels & the first thing I did was to make sure I could book on the stops I have determined. I walked in Galicia the very end of Oct/first few days of Nov in 2014 &, yes, there was rain! Are you doing your walk this year all at once - wow!

A few minutes ago, I watched a CBC report on the latest drug that has been developed against Alzheimer's Disease. It was approved in the United States and is still under consideration in Canada. But there are significant problems with it, The last part of the report was about other ways to put off the development of this disease of aging. At present, one successful approach appears to be exercise. I am wondering if walking caminos is particularly helpful for this, as it involves planning and getting in shape, followed by weeks of walking and facing all the challenges of the camino, not to mention working at learning or re-learning one or more languages and lots of wonderful socializing. I would not consider it a reason to walk caminos but it may be a bonus for older walkers.
I've read several articles lately about how walking helps the brain. The latest one was in the New York Times, but I believe that's behind a paywall, so here's a couple of others.

I don’t believe there is anyone with any study who can dispute my assertion, which is based on being at neuroscience conferences with presentations for the lay audience —

Vigorous cardiovacular exercise is the only thing that has been shown to reduce cognitive decline.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.