• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino Guide Book Do You Recommend?

Dee Sunshine

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2018)
I am looking for a guide book that gives information on all the villages that you pass through, not just the main stopping off points. Which one would you recommend?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wise Pilgrim guide book. Brierley's book is also good. There are others that also do a good job. Each have strengths and weaknesses, and appeal to individual tastes and sense of usability.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I’m a fan of the Dintaman & Landis guide.

https://www.villagetovillagepress.com/travel-guidebooks/hiking-the-camino-de-santiago

I’m also looking forward to trying out the Wise Pilgrim guide.

https://shop.wisepilgrim.com/products/camino-frances-a-wise-pilgrim-guide-to-the-camino-de-santiago

For more historical depth, I’m intrigued by “The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook” by David M. Gitlitz. It’s not a compact book intended to go in a backpack, but the Kindle version might be good to take along.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312254164/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have used John Brierley's guide (available from the Forum store) on two Caminos and have found it very good for those in-between places as well as the larger towns. A lot of people seem to think they have to walk the distances on his "stages", and you absolutely don't. I certainly never have (I read your question on another thread about walking shorter distances - that's me definitely!) and in fact you will find less crowding if you stay in the places in between. He lists all the accommodation in the smaller villages (or almost all - there are always new places that pop up between editions). I also like his maps - not because you need a map to follow, but they show you how places are connected and what to expect, and are very clear (not to scale but again, you don't need maps in order to find your way, they're a representation of the route).

I have not used the Wise Pilgrim guides mentioned above but hear good things of those too.

Good luck and buen camino!

I am looking for a guide book that gives information on all the villages that you pass through, not just the main stopping off points. Which one would you recommend?

Which Camino ? Try googling godesalco.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've used "Walking Guide to the Camino de Santiago" by Gerard Kelly. Excellent guide, easy to use, and available in a Kindle edition if you prefer not to carry the weight of a book.

Camino de Santiago by Dintaman and Landis is great. Village to village maps over a 35 day walk. Camino de Santiago by Brierley is also good with a 33 day walk. I purchased Brierley's book first then learned of the other. I'll likely take the Dintaman and Landis book.

Attachments

• 533568869.jpeg
    533568869.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7144.JPG
    IMG_7144.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 17
A bit out of date now, but a mine of historical information every step of the way is Alison Raju's The Way of St James, Spain available from Cicerone

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brierleys is good, but I recently purchased the Cicerone Norte routes and find it really detailed. Check it out on Amazon. You can read a sampling of it to see if it fits your needs before making a purchase.

Brierley without a doubt. Bought the Wise Pilgrim and to be honest, it does not do it for me. I will be leaving it at home

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have used the original Brierley for the Camino Frances and his maps only version as well. I also used another guidebook not mentioned on here, which while accomplished the task, it just was not very good. If you want one with detailed descriptions, the original Brierley is a very good choice.
Future Camino Frances's I will again carry the maps only version, if anything because it is so small and light.

I have the brierly and the dindaman books (I just like to read and it primes me up). In addition I purchased the wise pilgrim app for my phone. I plan to leave the books at home d/t weight. Use my phone app and purchase the Michelin maps book when I get there. It is lightweight and I’m old school enough that I like to have something physical to go over in the evening

Hi.
I have done the Caminos 6 times (Frances, Portugues and Fineterra). For the first time (in 2010) I checked about 6 guides and opted for Brierley. Since then I have used only Brierley. Brierley provides everything - not only the vital information about lodgings and eating of all types and in all types of locations (cities, towns, villages, casa rurales), but also a wide background about the history, customs and nature of each place.
This year I am going to do the Camino del Norte and the Primitivo. Unfortunately, there is no Brierley guide for them. I have got the "Village to Village Map Guide to the Camino del Norte" and ordered the "Northern Caminos", but they do not come even close to the thoroughness and clarity of the Brierley guides.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back