• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which camino has the most beautiful/scenery 100km before arriving Santiago de compostela?

martapl

Time of past OR future Camino
Variante espiritual (2019)
preparing Fisterra (2020)
Hi everybody,
This year I've done the Camino inglés and Santiago to Finisterra, Next year I want to do another 120km camino or part of it before arriving Santiago, as beautiful as the English one.
Can someone give me any tips or advice on which camino to go?
Thanks
Narta

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My 5 cents worth!
As you can see i have only done the Portuguese Coastal, parts of the Senda Littoral and the Espiritual Variant!
From Vigo to Pontevedra was great but the Variant Espiritual was the icing on the cake a really beautiful walk that i would do again at the drop of a hat!
Combarro was a little bit busy with a couple of coach trips going through the town on my second day there but it is a wonderful place! Check out the Variant on YouTube!
Woody

AKA: Which parts of Galicia are the most beautiful.

If you are only looking at the last 100 km before Santiago, there are a limited number of Caminos you can look at. Beyond the Ingles and Finisterre routes, which you've already done, you are limited to: the Frances from Sarria, the Portugues from Tui or Caminha (two routes that join together 77 or so km from Santiago), Sanabres from Ourense, Norte from Baamonde (the last 40 km on the Frances), the Primitivo from Lugo (the last 50 km or so on the Frances), and the Invierno from Chantada (the last 50 km or so on the Sanabres)
The rest of the routes merge into the above more than 100 km from Santiago. So you've got la half dozen choices, with a lot of overlap, all within Galicia.

If you re looking for really different landscapes, you may want to consider walking along a different route and not necessarily ending (this time) in Santiago. I hear the San Salvador is very beautiful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m going to follow along with Jungleboy’s suggestion. The Spanish portion of the Portuguese including the VE would be my recommendation. Tui is a great city, but I have a fondness for Vigo as well. I really enjoyed the walk from Vigo to Redondela and then on up to Pontevedra. I don’t think you could go wrong either way. After Pontevedra, taking the VE is very special. After walking this route, you might have a hard time deciding which of the two routes is your favorite. For different reasons both the Inglés and the Portugués will give you great Camino experiences.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My 5 cents worth!
As you can see i have only done the Portuguese Coastal, parts of the Senda Littoral and the Espiritual Variant!
From Vigo to Pontevedra was great but the Variant Espiritual was the icing on the cake a really beautiful walk that i would do again at the drop of a hat!
Combarro was a little bit busy with a couple of coach trips going through the town on my second day there but it is a wonderful place! Check out the Variant on YouTube!
Woody
Thanks for your answer. The Variant Espiritual was my first camino. Is really beautiful except the last km arriving to Santiago.

If you are only looking at the last 100 km before Santiago, there are a limited number of Caminos you can look at. Beyond the Ingles and Finisterre routes, which you've already done, you are limited to: the Frances from Sarria, the Portugues from Tui or Caminha (two routes that join together 77 or so km from Santiago), Sanabres from Ourense, Norte from Baamonde (the last 40 km on the Frances), the Primitivo from Lugo (the last 50 km or so on the Frances), and the Invierno from Chantada (the last 50 km or so on the Sanabres)
The rest of the routes merge into the above more than 100 km from Santiago. So you've got la half dozen choices, with a lot of overlap, all within Galicia.

If you re looking for really different landscapes, you may want to consider walking along a different route and not necessarily ending (this time) in Santiago. I hear the San Salvador is very beautiful.
Thanks. San Salvador is a nice suggestion, I will consider in 2024. This time I m with a group of friends and they want arriving Santiago.

Thanks for your answer. The Variant Espiritual was my first camino. Is really beautiful except the last km arriving to Santiago.
This brings to mind of a piece of Solzhenitsyn that I keep in my notebook:

Do not pursue what is illusory ... it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing.

Rub your eyes and purify your heart - and prize above all else in the world those who love you and wish you well.
It reminds me that searching for the best of this or that might be less important than being in the company of other pilgrims, together with the hospitaleros and myriad others that make our pilgrimages possible. There might be much to recommend busier routes

Given that, I know that I have chosen to walk many pilgrimages on very quiet routes with few other pilgrims. The lack of distractions from others creates an ambience on these routes that, combined with their natural beauty, does make it easier to spend time in quiet contemplation.

I expect that you already understand this dilemma.

@martapl, it appears that there might not be all that many of the major approaches to Santiago you haven't already done and know about. Other that the CF, it seems we have walked the same or similar routes. I did extend my CI by walking from Covas, just to the north of Ferrol, and walked around the headland back to Ferrol. It is a lovely coastal walk, sometimes right next to the shoreline, at others a little more inland. It adds a day and about 25 km to the CI, depending on where you start in Covas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everybody,
This year I've done the Camino inglés and Santiago to Finisterra, Next year I want to do another 120km camino or part of it before arriving Santiago, as beautiful as the English one.
Can someone give me any tips or advice on which camino to go?
Thanks
Narta
Bierzo tp Sarria

Thanks. San Salvador is a nice suggestion, I will consider in 2024. This time I m with a group of friends and they want arriving Santiago.
The Invierno is magical. Full biased disclosure: I have walked these parts 4 times most recently less than 1 week ago. If doing the last 100 km, do start before Chantada and begin at Diomondi. (Look at Invierno threads on this forum.) You do not want to miss the codos de Belesar, the vineyards on the Ribeira Sacra and the walk on ancient Roman stone roads, crossing over river rocks to reach Chantada. This time I started in Diomondi just to enjoy this gorgeous Albergue and to walk the above, a short day, so as to savor each moment. Poles are a must.
El Camino de San Salvador, completed this past October is challenging and gorgeous. It takes advanced planning. I hope to return 🚶🏽‍♀️🚶🏽‍♀️. Buen Camino to you and your friends.

I am also biased by the fact I've walked only the Frances and end of the VdlP. So i would vote VdlP. From Ourense to Santiago. Lots of nice scenery, the ability to possibly be the only person on the path on day 1 if you take the Canedo route when leaving Ourense. I walked in October and saw no one (pilgrim wise) until Cea. It was most excellent. Far better than the millions on the Frances the year before (also in October). Maybe if you are that way inclined, get to Santiago and instead of cashing in your credencial, carry on out to the coast and do the Muxia/Finisterre leg, then return to Santiago and get your certificate. It would make it a bit different and kind of shows people you aren't afraid to go the extra mile.

But for me, VdlP from Ourense. You won't regret it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you choose this Camino stay in the brand new Albergue in Mosteiro de Oseira right after Cea. Incredible monastery restoration, gentle hospitable monks. The Albergue just re-opened this year.

I actually wanted to when I walked, but one of the other pilgrims said you had to book your bed up to a week beforehand. He had booked his bed a week previous. Since I hadn't, I didn't chance the (I think) 8km detour from Cea on that first day and instead headed straight to Dozon. I would like to stay there. Maybe next year. :)

Agreed! If ending in Santiago is NOT critical, consider parts or the entirety of the Del Mar. just walked it in October and the beauty is beyond description. Words only limit the inspiration this Camino provides.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Oseira Albergue was renovated by the Xunta. 40 beds, Pilgrims only, €8, no reservations allowed.

The Mosteiro Hospedería inside the monastery with the monks, requires reservations and a 2 possibly 3 night stay with 3 meals/day and run of house except the cloister, of course. It is a wonderful place for silence and contemplation. You are welcome to pray the liturgical hours with the monks. At the last evening prayer before the Great silence, as you exit the chapel the abbot individually blesses the monks and the guests. Very solemn and moving.

My 5 cents worth!
Woody
Was there plenty of accomodation along the variant Espiritual? I intend to take this walk in mid April 2023, it will be my first big walk and will give myself plenty of time to follow this route. Any suggestions for accomodation please?
Christine

The Oseira Albergue was renovated by the Xunta. 40 beds, Pilgrims only, €8, no reservations allowed.

The Mosteiro Hospedería inside the monastery with the monks, requires reservations and a 2 possibly 3 night stay with 3 meals/day and run of house except the cloister, of course. It is a wonderful place for silence and contemplation. You are welcome to pray the liturgical hours with the monks. At the last evening prayer before the Great silence, as you exit the chapel the abbot individually blesses the monks and the guests. Very solemn and moving.
Thank you so much for your information… it’s definitely the route I’m taking 😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I suggest Sanabres from Ourense. You can start with a day or two in Ourense and enjoy the hot springs. The Japanese themed one is amazing with lots of different pools of different temperatures as well as spa jets in some.
The walk from there is very beautiful. You can also go to Oseira, stay in the brand new albergue and visit the monastery there.
There are a few steep climbs to consider - but I remember as I walked this section thinking that it will become busier soon since it is so beautiful.

Can I suggest Sanabres from Ourense. You can start with a day or two in Ourense and enjoy the hot springs. The Japanese themed one is amazing with lots of different pools of different temperatures as well as spa jets in some.
The walk from there is very beautiful. You can also go to Oseira, stay in the brand new albergue and visit the monastery there.
There are a few steep climbs to consider - but I remember as I walked this section thinking that it will become busier soon since it is so beautiful.
Thank you Rita, and thank you all so much I really appreciate these contributions, all of them!🔝
I will start my research, I've a lot of possibilities and I'm so excited to plan it💫🚶🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
San Salvador
San Salvador is a beautiful Camino, to be sure. But in case it is important I will mention that it never gets within 100 km of Santiago de Compostela. It goes from Leon to Oviedo and then it is a little over 300 km to walk from Oviedo to Santiago on the Camino Primitivo, if Santiago de Compostela is your destination.

San Salvador
San Salvador is a beautiful Camino, to be sure. But in case it is important I will mention that it never gets within 100 km of Santiago de Compostela. It goes from Leon to Oviedo and then it is a little over 300 km to walk from Oviedo to Santiago on the Camino Primitivo, if Santiago de Compostela is your destination.
That is true

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm still sticking with the Sanabrés, but the Ingles from Ferrol is also definitely up there for scenery and depth of experience. I walked the Portugeuese from Vigo, but while it was beautiful in places it was also far too busy.

The Norte. Forget the Frances except for the Pyrannes I guess.
I'm still sticking with the Sanabrés, but the Ingles from Ferrol is also definitely up there for scenery and depth of experience. I walked the Portugeuese from Vigo, but while it was beautiful in places it was also far too busy.
Wow! I didn't even like the Ingles much less thought it was pretty. Oh well to each his own

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back