• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino in August?

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hello.

Any advice on which section to walk would be gratefully received please.

I'm flying into Bilbao on 7th August and flying out of Santiago on the 27th.

I was originally thinking of bussing to Aviles and continuing my Northern Camino as far as I can get, but not sure what that is like or how busy.

Or, I could bus to Salamanca and continue my Via de la Plata from there and get as close to Santiago as possible, but would that be too hot and busy?

Or, maybe the Vadiniense? I'm told the Olvidado might be too busy and touristy.

Any thoughts would be very helpful please. I'm a fairly slow walker and I prefer not too many crowds, and happy to just do a section and train and bus to Santiago at the end.

Thanks, P

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would probably take a day off in Bilbao to see the city, take the bus to Oviedo and start the Camino Primitivo in Oviedo. If, once in Santiago, you want to extend the Camino a bit, then you can go to Fisterra.

You can also go directly to Santander and start the Camino del Norte in Santander. You will be a little short of time (you need to save approximately 1 or 2 days from the normal schedule).

As a third alternative, and really beautiful, you can take the bus to León, start the Camino del Salvador in León (León - Oviedo) and in Oviedo you can take the Primitivo. For 20 days, in August, this third alternative would probably be the one I would choose.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that the Norte would be great then too, but be aware that the area is also very popular with tourists in the summer, which can make accommodations more expensive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
but be aware that the area is also very popular with tourists in the summe

This was the reason I was a little more focused in the Primitivo than in Norte. I love both of them, with a preference for Primitivo - I have to recognize it! ;)

The combination Primitivo + Salvador gives some 16/18 days Camino, with nice temperature and far from the turistic areas.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back